What's new

Question about controls

In all the move lists for characters I have seen including here show B,B,LK and such for moves like Smoke or Scorpions hook and spear. I think the button presses are actually B,B+LK and the like for several similar moves. I just found my old MKT guide by Brady games and they list the moves like that linking the B and LK together, but all moves lists like on Gamefaqs are like above(individual presses). It seems the the B,B+LK moves are correct from experiment on the X360 version. So whats the real deal? Thanks

dreemernj

Ambassador
They are distinct hits. So for Scorpion's spear it would be B, B, LP.

Different moves have a different window for executing the move. Some moves have to be done very quickly, some moves you can spread out the button presses over a considerable amount of time. For the moves that have a short window, it might seem like you have to press B, B+LP, and that will tend to work, but if you go to press B and LP at the same time, and the LP gets pressed before the B, the move won't happen.

When it is triggering a move, it only cares about when the button is pressed, not how close it was pressed to the previous button or if its released or anything. For instance you can press and hold down, then quickly slide it to d+f, and while still holding d+f, press and hold LP with Sub Zero. You will do the freeze.

Some moves have huge windows, like Mileena's roll. You can leave a relatively huge gap before pressing the last button to trigger the roll. Give it a shot, its hilarious.