What's new

QuanchesusMaximus Woolay king, a Quan discussion for adept players

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
ive seen alot of haters about how quan is cheap. for this i thank the players who should be posting on this thread. i want to know, how is it that people with no experience with quan say he is skillless or easy? please post the best ways you find to keep the opponent guessing, your matchup opinions on those you feel arent quite right, and wat BnB you think are safest in wat situation or matchup. I wanna see alot of big names like shujinkydink or Admiral post on this to also tip the rising quancheses. and NO bs from haters on my old post. thankyou for your time

Robotic

Gentleman.
I'm nowhere near as adept as I want to be with Necro-Picard, but I'll say one thing:

11 is awesome if you don't abuse it. the full 112 combo can be stopped after 11 for anything you want. If your opponent is not looking for it, he'll be searching for answers on your 11 assault - keep in mind I'm not saying whip out the 11 all the time.

11 into d3
d4
u3 (if ur feelin it)
repeat 11
f12
b3 1+2
throw
crossover jump punch or jump kick
Or just finish it by 112 trance.

Many options at your disposal.

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
I'm nowhere near as adept as I want to be with Necro-Picard, but I'll say one thing:

11 is awesome if you don't abuse it. the full 112 combo can be stopped after 11 for anything you want. If your opponent is not looking for it, he'll be searching for answers on your 11 assault - keep in mind I'm not saying whip out the 11 all the time.

11 into d3
d4
u3 (if ur feelin it)
repeat 11
f12
b3 1+2
throw
crossover jump punch or jump kick
Or just finish it by 112 trance.

Many options at your disposal.
this is good, thnx for getting it strted

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
That's why it's a mix-up. Scorpion's B2 is incredibly unsafe, yet people use it. Scorpion's F4 into spear is a ridiculously high risk as well. If you play the game 100% safe, you'll just be a vagina that gets pounded on regularly.
true true. i lik to keep it to a minimum. i want to test if it can combo to ex rune later because tht may be a safer cancel option if you see them block high

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
for this thread i want to also see ways to approach the opponent better, not if this happens wat do you do, but wat do u do to get in on an opponent that most often works

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Important to note is that many strings can rune trap. A blocked B3 1+2 can go into EX Rune. As can 1 1 2. I have a new quan video coming soon.

OZombiePenguinO

Garbage, bro
People are just way too easy to beat Quan with. At least online :\ I never really get to use him as well as I can, often it's like I have to hold back to keep up with the people I fight. I guess it's because he's just an uncommon and confusing person to fight.

People with knowledge of Quan Chi will usually block low immediately after a JIP (or Quan Chi getting in), so you should start with the classic U3 into trance. I prefer to use EX-trance when my opponent has anywhere between 1 and 2 bars of meter. Without breaker, Quan Chi should always be a threat to his opponent (while Quan Chi is in on his opponent, and in control).

EDIT: 100th post [MENTION=6270]Gamma-is-Back[/MENTION]
I wouldn't suggest u3, ex. trance. Quan Chi relies almost completely on his meter. It opens his offense, AND his defense just by having 1 bar. U3, ex. trance cannot be hit confirmed, meaning that you're taking a risk at losing meter, just as you're giving your opponent a risk on what level to block at. Use u3 as a mixup, absolutely, but honestly, even if you don't drain your opponents meter, he/she breakers and they have NO METER while you still have that bar you didn't use on EX. trance. No no, use the ex. trance on longer strings like 112, b3 1+2, f1, 2 and what not.

Now obviously there are times where you just MUST take the chance. Risk exists for a reason, but when it's not an emergency, I wouldn't waste the meter by catching a good read from your opponent.

People are just way too easy to beat Quan with. At least online :\ I never really get to use him as well as I can, often it's like I have to hold back to keep up with the people I fight. I guess it's because he's just an uncommon and confusing person to fight.
Gotta learn how to train your opponent. I experience this quite a bit. Just go hard one mix up at a time. First do f1,2 until they learn to block low. Then do another mix up until they block that one. You can't play hard until they are aware of your normal mix ups. Obviously you can save the best for later though haha. Also, don't sandbag anyone. Unless you're trying to actually mentor them in some way, go hard and make them learn. Thats the only way the community gets better.

I'll come back to make a comment on my favorite strategies, but I need to play right now lol

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
underthemayo posted a good strategy for meter building which i will practice wen i get back on, but basically, a whiffed trance builds more meter than any other special, and a block builds 16% of a bar. doing wiff combos may aid in the reset andrune trap tech. thought id point this out to those who havent seen it

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I m not a QC player myself but i ve studied him quite a lot since the release of MK9. As to what Raptor said no i dont think that QC is cheap. Actually the opposite. He is lacking many things unlike other characters in the game. As for U3 if you see the opponent blocks it you can do an EX rune or a sky drop to prevent the opponent from punishing you and go for the classic mixups Quan has from there.

D-MyzE

Noob
I think Quan-Chi only seems cheap because he has alot of mix-ups but I really think most of them are not good to use versus high level players. I know I just block low always after a JIP and have time to react to an u3 or b3, 1+2 . Keep in mind that I play online mostly and I don't consider myself very high level. Some universally good tactics imo are:

--When you are full screen away don't be afraid to spam those skulls (meter!meter!meter!)

--Sometimes after winning the first round, and if you are confident that you can take the third, give up the second one if you have to instead of using breaker so that you have meter advantage in the the third and can do a full rune assault

--Mixing it up with 1,1 then 1,1,3 db2 and low pokes for building meter

--You should definetly be whiffing runes and trances in between combos like in Mayo's video

-- Connecting everything into trance: aa jp--> f1 trance or a deep jump kick (good against pokers) into d4 trance (kind of hard though)

--Make Quan-chi glow bright pink before you finish your opponent (VERY IMPORTANT)

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I fucking hate the Trance.

Quan Chi is an awesome character, even without the MKDA Shotgun Kick.
I love dueling skilled sorcerers...learning how to get around his Runes and stay unhypnotized can be a mindfuck in and of itself.

Mayo, your signature is top notch.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Metzo beat me to it...... a blocked U+3 to EX Rune can be pretty handy to keep up pressure when your opponents read the mixup.
I always feel guilty about using that cuz if I hit it, i give up a possible 30+%, and I waste a bar cuz the close rune doesnt connect...unless they changed that in the patch...but I doubt it

myth

Noob
for this thread i want to also see ways to approach the opponent better, not if this happens wat do you do, but wat do u do to get in on an opponent that most often works
i always approach with f1,2 trance. That typically works really. Better opponents will of course block low.... but its easy to spot some one who knows Quans mix up.

Thats typically how i get in.

I wish i could get in with b2,1, b2,1,112/b1,1 trance but that something I've only seen Hidan pull off.

ImmortalSkillit

SteeevRay
Some good stuff in this thread, wanted to add some of my own stuff, and also bring this thread up to the top.

-Now that Ex Sky Drop has armor on start-up, i've found a ton of use for the move in terms of getting out of pressure. Its also a great way to end a match, if your opponent starts to lose it and gets a bit carried away with JIP/K. Interesting note about Sky drop, and most of you know, is that Sky Drop can technically be "hit confirmed". There is enough time after its input to watch your opponent and see how they are reacting. More than half the time, if you used it to get out of pressure, its guaranteed to hit, and you can catch a quick breath. But if they see it coming and try to block, you have the time to move it to in front or behind them. Its very brief, but once you get trained into it, it really becomes second nature.

-The Ex Rune Trap...I love it, however....I feel that using all of your meter to do it is a bit too much, at least for my blood anyway. Instead of taking the guaranteed damage, I prefer to use it as options off of his mix ups. This has become more viable to me as a Quan Chi player, since everyone that I play here locally has found it quite simple to block his mix ups. What happens when Quan can't hit connect any of his mix-ups? Bad Things.

So what I prefer, is to either come in with B3, 1+2 or F1, 2. Both of these can be hit confirmed, *B3, 1+2 much easier to confirm* and can either be finished by combo on hit, or cancelled into EX Rune. Obviously, this will hit, and leaves them open to either continuing the trap, OR trying to sneak in another mix up. (Don't forget GRAB!) If you choose to come in again with another mix up, you can essentially do the same thing. If they guess correct again, no problem, throw another EX Rune out there, and either back off to skull/trance harrass, or try your hand again for another mix up. Really, this isn't much different then the standard 2,1,2 trap, chip damage comes out a bit lower, but the pay off is that instead of repeating 2, 1, 2 xx EX Rune, you give yourself a chance to get a hit in to start a trance combo.

-1, 1 and 1, 1, 2 are great. Fast, easy to hit confirm and trance off of on hit, AND its another attack string that can be canceled into EX Rune.

-Don't forget, you can end any of those strings as well with a regular close rune. Much safer option on block for U+3, and if your just not sure if the strings (B3, 1+2 or F1, 2) are going to hit, its a fantastic option if you need to slow the tempo down and play conservative for a bit. A blocked close rune is punished only by a fast attack/special, up close, at 8 frames or quicker.

- 2, 1, U+3...........sucks you can't trance...or hell, even cancel out of this, but it technically IS an option to use instead of U+3. I havn't had much luck with it, but it does slightly resemble F2, 1 on start up, and can possibly hit the opponent if they've been trained on F2, 1 during the match. Havn't had a chance to really check how safe the U+3 is on block in this combo, but I do know that a naked U+3 on block is fairly safe...its the blocked trance afterwards that gives most of us trouble =P

-AA jip followed by F1 xx Trance is your friend. I probably get more than half of my trance combos now out of this, than any other method. Don't use F1, 2 xx trance, I learned that way first, and it is a PAIN IN THE ASS to get yourself to stop hitting 2 ...smh

-Naked Trance. I love it. on TRADE, imo I feel this is the best "projectile"...again...on TRADE. I'll take 8% anyday to dish out 30%+. Also, I abuse the naked trance. Many people just don't see it coming, and im not just talking about beginners. Treat it like a ...a...less safer TKP from Ermac. Its got the same range, can AA, you get sooo much meter off of it, and Quan says Woolay! Theres only a slight handful of the cast that can punish it from max range, so its pretty damn safe as well....just do your best not to get predictable with it, and your all set.

-Skeletal Boost....still trying to find something this works with other than cheap thrills when its Fatality time. Honestly, I just don't know. I'd stay away from it.

--For the record, F1, 2 will beat Kung Lao out of a front roll
--1,1,2 is fast enough to punish a Kung Lao spin after a blocked 1, 1
--Also on that note, 1, 1, 2 EX Rune pushes back far enough to not be hit by a Spin (EX Spin WILL hit), however 1, 1, 3 EX Rune has hardly ANY pushback
--Uppercut Uppercut Uppercut. Nuff said.
--Skulls. They're amazing. Use them like Kano uses his Knifes...but uh...against Kano, this won't work..that bastard.

--I've been starting most of my matches lately with a NJ. I was having a bit of trouble with what to do at first, but for the most part, this move tends to work more for me than it does fail. a Njp xx B2,1 dash B1, 1 xx (ex or not)Trance is a beautiful way to start a match

Im sure im leaving out a ton, cause I feel like I havn't said enough, if I think of anything else, i'll just come back and edit.

Heres to hoping someone else found out some new, neat tricks and feels like posting them up on here...Woolay!