What's new

Strategy - Quan Chi Quan Chi's game plan to win

gibster13

A fan of fans
Made this thread because I see a lot of people wondering quan's game plan and how to win with him. Thought to get more thoughts on this then mine. I make a lot of threads lol but they all help you I hope :D

Zone- zone them with runes skulls and what ever you can throw at them. You do NOT what people in your face, hell no.
Hit confirms- his b324 is unsafe on block you MUST hit confirm this string to stand a chance. If your low on meter and want a b2 trance you MUST also hit confirm this. Quan requires a lot of hit confirms so you should learn these
Vortex- in the corner or in trance you can always vortex with his overhead or low. Just d3 or 3 and this gives you enough frames to do what you want. In summoner I normally load woolay the bat and then vortex. This means that if what you do is blocked, you can keep the mixups going on.

QUESTIONS?? Just ask me :)

gibster13

A fan of fans
Is it worth spending the meter in Warlock to do EX Stab and then D3 for the 50/50?
The EX stab will give you a 50/50 then its a vortex, yes but if you do a d3 after you will put an an end to your vortex and your opponent will just have to block low the whole time. I don't play warlock but i would recommend not spending the meter for the EX stab vortex and instead do a d3 vortex into a 50/50. This will save you meter for EX runes and stuff. I would only use the EX stab if it would end a round or something :D but thats just me

Chrishaspads

Name isn't Chris, Doesn't have pads
Made this thread because I see a lot of people wondering quan's game plan and how to win with him. Thought to get more thoughts on this then mine. I make a lot of threads lol but they all help you I hope :D

Zone- zone them with runes skulls and what ever you can throw at them. You do NOT what people in your face, hell no.
Hit confirms- his b324 is unsafe on block you MUST hit confirm this string to stand a chance. If your low on meter and want a b2 trance you MUST also hit confirm this. Quan requires a lot of hit confirms so you should learn these
Vortex- in the corner or in trance you can always vortex with his overhead or low. Just d3 or 3 and this gives you enough frames to do what you want. In summoner I normally load woolay the bat and then vortex. This means that if what you do is blocked, you can keep the mixups going on.

QUESTIONS?? Just ask me :)
Not really feeling any characters yet so im gonna try out Quan Cheesy now. So i just want to know (1) his main BnB cause the combo forums are filled with combos that most people wont even do. (2) so in the vortex, after trance, summon puggles and then d3 into a overhead, low mixup?

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Not really feeling any characters yet so im gonna try out Quan Cheesy now. So i just want to know (1) his main BnB cause the combo forums are filled with combos that most people wont even do. (2) so in the vortex, after trance, summon puggles and then d3 into a overhead, low mixup?
I wrote up a lot of the essentials to Quan for someone else, at least how I play him. You might find it helpful, goes through normals, vortex, and the fullscreen ender that sets you up to zone. Obviously it's not everything but it's a lot. I'll add more to it later, just what I did in an hours time.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OziKtUhydeupGftA68Af_Ssx01zzoWcEFYjF7aA0MXQ/pub

The EX stab will give you a 50/50 then its a vortex, yes but if you do a d3 after you will put an an end to your vortex and your opponent will just have to block low the whole time. I don't play warlock but i would recommend not spending the meter for the EX stab vortex and instead do a d3 vortex into a 50/50. This will save you meter for EX runes and stuff. I would only use the EX stab if it would end a round or something :D but thats just me
I think he means using it raw like for an armored wakeup or using it to zone, not in a combo.

If that's the case yes, by all means use a run to follow up with a B2 or D3 for a vortex. If they block low after a D3 just use a overhead.

EX portal grab is imo the best way for Quan to not get shredded on knockdown or in the corner

zoofs

bless
I wrote up a lot of the essentials to Quan for someone else, at least how I play him. You might find it helpful, goes through normals, vortex, and the fullscreen ender that sets you up to zone. Obviously it's not everything but it's a lot. I'll add more to it later, just what I did in an hours time.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OziKtUhydeupGftA68Af_Ssx01zzoWcEFYjF7aA0MXQ/pub
B324, NJP, B2 xx EX Rune, B+2 xx Trance, Summon Bat, B324, Mid Bat, Summon Bat

b2 ex rune is regular rune right? I can occasionally link it, but b2 trance afterwards seems impossible?

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
B324, NJP, B2 xx EX Rune, B+2 xx Trance, Summon Bat, B324, Mid Bat, Summon Bat

b2 ex rune is regular rune right? I can occasionally link it, but b2 trance afterwards seems impossible?
It depends on how close you are, from the longest range of your b+2 you need a mid range ex rune I believe. From most ranges though it's ex close range rune.

B+2 will hit you just have to do it quick. I don't think you can hit the B+2 after the ex if you're doing mid ex rune in a combo, only close, they'll be to far otherwise.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
What's working for me with warlock...

Vortex... When you don't have meter, corner push, counter zone, footsie, and don't get knocked down. Warlock seems pretty straight up to me, but I'm also not super keen on zoning.

I've been finding a lot of success throwing in instant NJP's in my mixups. I'm not sure if Quan's is particularly good, or if it's just really effective in this game.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Im lost with sorcerer. I don't know what the best options are to end combos with him, or what the general gameplan is
Well, you basically do the same stuff you'd do in any other variation, the key difference is once you get fullscreen or get a combo into trance off you're able to setup the bat to create full screen zoning or incredibly tricky and safe mixups. Just use it as a tool like you would an assist in something like Marvel, it's a separate entity that allows you to get in, zone, make unsafe mixups safe, create more pressure, create a variety of high low mixups and to frame trap the shit out of people with your zoning.

Chrishaspads

Well, you basically do the same stuff you'd do in any other variation, the key difference is once you get fullscreen or get a combo into trance off you're able to setup the bat to create full screen zoning or incredibly tricky and safe mixups. Just use it as a tool like you would an assist in something like Marvel, it's a separate entity that allows you to get in, zone, make unsafe mixups safe, create more pressure, create a variety of high low mixups and to frame trap the shit out of people with your zoning.
sorcerer ;p not summoner
but chef gave me a run down with sorcerer of how good stay in the green portal is!

Chrishaspads

what is the most optimal combo to do for one bar with the bat already out starting off of a b2.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
B2~EX Close Rune, Ji2, F Bat right when the ji2 hits, run, 4~Trance, summon bat, D2, F Bat, Far Rune.
I take out the JI2, makes it so much easier for me. For anyone who might be having trouble you can take that out and it all works fine.

Write-up helped me a lot for learning this guy, thanks for taking the time.
Glad it helped, it's a bit dated already but you can adjust the fullscreen enders to the more up to date stuff. It's also missing all the 141 ender mixups Dink and Chef do.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
sorcerer ;p not summoner
but chef gave me a run down with sorcerer of how good stay in the green portal is!
After watching REO play sorcerer, it felt like he was just using it as like a worse version of summoner, in that he would end combos into it and just start pressuring with zoning from there and win out in footises with the hit of armor and repeat. Obviously he's not a master of it but I can imagine doing decent with that right now without knowing much. Good place to start I suppose, his Quan is very solid.

I'd love to see some setups with the purple portal with fullscreen zoning(obviously not all that usable against teleport characters anyways). And that chip one maybe in the corner against people who don't have godlike wakeup options.

Last edited:
After watching REO play sorcerer, it felt like he was just using it as like a worse version of summoner, in that he would end combos into it and just start pressuring with zoning from there and win out in footises with the hit of armor and repeat. Obviously he's not a master of it but I can imagine doing decent with that right now without knowing much. Good place to start I suppose, his Quan is very solid.

I'd love to see some setups with the purple portal with fullscreen zoning(obviously not all that usable against teleport characters anyways). And that chip one maybe in the corner against people who don't have godlike wakeup options.
Wake ups don't matter!!!!! There is a new Rune Trap)

Aramonde

Noob

Oh baby im liking this! Now i understand why @Under_The_Mayo likes this variation.