What's new

Question - Quan Chi Quan Chi N00b: What do?

So I got the game a few days ago and I've put a lot of time into the practice room trying to get his basic combos down, specials, etc. I can do a few strings but I can't for the life of me do them against a live opponent. I'm especially having trouble getting the zoning down as playing against some of the more rush-down oriented characters was pretty tough. Any tips for someone starting off and how to keep people out of your face? I love his combos and specials, but they all just seem so punishable and it's very frustrating (currently using summoner, because the bat is awesome).

If you stay aggressive and in their face, they have less room to do the same to you. Sometimes offense is the best defense. As a general rule, wait to attack until you've blocked one of their moves or combos, then go in with a mix up. Only all in on a combo when you know the first few hits have landed (such as his f2122)

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Quan's better combo starters are unsafe, so if you're not all that good at hit confirming yet, try using B2xxEX Rune and B32xxEX Rune to start your combos, because EX Rune is +15 on block and it give you some room to make a decision and come back with another mixup if you got blocked. Be mindful that B32 can be interrupted by armored specials. 141 and F142 are good strings to create space to setup your zoning.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
What do you mean by "xx", is it just a short time between frames/strings?
That's where you cancel the string into the special move. It's generally used to represent that, meaning if I was going to do a DB1 immediately after a B2, I would write it as B2xxDB1 or B2xxEX Rune. Same thing.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
Quan has no wakeup game. Only way out of the corner is to guess right and get out of there. This is why hes bottom 1.
His lack of wakeup is why he's top 5 lol.

Honestly tho, OP quan is played alot in touneys i suggest you watch some stream archives.

BROJOB

Noob
Damn, so that's why the bat has a cool down time after impact now (noticed it when playing today). Weak. At least it gives me a chance to try out sorcerer...
It's only a 1 second cool down, it's barely tweaked so he's not so OP, but it doesn't really change the core of him I feel like. He's still the strongest out of the three variations.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
I'm not sitting here testing but just theory crafting... I can't see where the 1s cooldown would particularly affect me, apart from the quanswagger stuff and Chef already mentioned that it doesn't change that either. If I'm zoning, after I throw a bat I'd do a skull into guaranteed rune, ex if I have meter. By the time these moves come out the cooldown would be over anyway and I'll have a bat again. I think if you're careful it really shouldn't change much at all.

mfkaoz

Banned
The only thing that's changed is his zoning. You can't do bat into bat anymore. Vortex still works fine.

Anyone have input on the scorpion MU? Zoning doesn't go so well since he can teleport out of it, and out of the corner. Do I just have to bait and punish the teleports? I can deal with spammers that don't follow up with a combo, but the better scorpion players really wipe the floor with me.

Israfel

Designer for BxA
Absolutely, bait those teleports he relies so heavily on but be careful for the scissor kick slide move. If he whiffs the teleport you can easily get the punish off into full combos.