What's new

Strategy - Quan Chi Quan Chi-dealing with the start of a match

macro

Eezeepeezee
So as we all probably realized by now, Quan isn't the fastest character on the roster. Some may be wondering, how do I start a game out with this character. Well good sir, I might not be able to give you a definite answer but I'll sure as hell try to give you a good one.

Now talking about Quan's frames, let's talk about Quan's fastest reaching normal B1.

B1: has 13 frames startup.

Now this would't be too bad at all if it wasn't for charaters like Jonny that has a move that can reach you right form the start of a match that's 10 frames, or even Sub-Zero with his's F4 at 11 frames of start up that does the same.

So what Quan players are really going to have to look at here is are jumping attacks, like JI3, which is a great move by the way. The reason why is, let's say you do hit with you Ji3 thats a free 50/50 opportunity, or armor aura, or even a bat with your name for him of choice (mine's Orko his so cute that little rascal), it's ok guys' I'm back I think I might of blacked out there for a second. *lol*

Side note: JI3 will even catch low hit box move lke Ermacs D3

Back to business! After you've got them scared of the jump in, you can now start using B1 for pressure or just back dash that shit.

Sorry for any errors. I did this on my stupid phone. *lol*

BAP04

You will bow to me
I usually use Quan Chi's NJP because the green that comes out doesn't have a hurt box on it, so if they want to anti air you they have to use armor, trip guard you (Ridiculously hard to time), or anti air you from directly underneath while avoiding the green aura on his hands because they might trade. NJP and if they walk foward into it and get hit, I get a free combo into mix up, if they block it, I'm positive and get to run xx into low/high or throw. Of couse, it's not the best option and in certain matchups it'll be useless, but just throwing it out there that that button is really good to just jump up and throw out in the neutral as it will anti air jump ins and push them back.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
I actually did the NJP yersterday at the start of a match during locals, I thought it'd be gimmicky but it usually worked out, I didn't get punished for it on whiff and sometime when they try to pressure you at the start because they know your normals are bad you get a combo starter that I never hit confirmed. Then again, day 4 shit so I don't know. Either that or /jump/dash back if they don't have a good horizontal dash attack.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Like you've said, if they don't have strong neutral poke I sometimes go with B+1, if they do have one, I like to backdash, especially if I lose hard in the mid range and can outzone. Sometimes I just block to test my opponent though, if they jump then I'll nj more in the future. If they play scared I might walk back a bit then check them with a b+2 into ex rune depending on if I think they'll punish. Little riskier but I like it sometimes.

macro

Eezeepeezee
I actually did the NJP yersterday at the start of a match during locals, I thought it'd be gimmicky but it usually worked out, I didn't get punished for it on whiff and sometime when they try to pressure you at the start because they know your normals are bad you get a combo starter that I never hit confirmed. Then again, day 4 shit so I don't know. Either that or /jump/dash back if they don't have a good horizontal dash attack.
I just don't like using Njp because of characters like Takeda or Kung Jin, but besides that it's pretty solid.