What's new

Guide Punishment Guide - Ducking the Last Hit of Aquaman's Trident Rush

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
UPDATE: As per a contribution from rev0lver, an option for Lex Luthor has been added, although it differentiates from what is mainly discussed. Nevertheless, I am including it at the bottom of the post.

This is no joke. After extensive testing, I have come to a realization that, of the thirty characters in the game, only five can actually duck - yes, duck - the last hit of a blocked Trident Rush from Aquaman and whiff-punish him if he doesn't move himself forward or backward during the attack. Want to know what those characters are?

- Cyborg
- Hawkgirl
- Green Arrow
- Lobo
- Zod

Against the other twenty-five characters that I did not list, all four hits of a blocked Trident Rush from Aquaman will connect without him moving forward or backward. But against the five I listed...oooooh, that's a different story. Regardless of what stance your character is in or what side of the screen they're on, when Aquaman performs a point-blank Trident Rush while the opponent is crouching, the last hit will whiff and he is very vulnerable to a whiff-punish. Note that I said specifically, "point-blank Trident Rush." This was tested without performing any blockstrings before going into the rush.

You might think that a solution to this is to have Aquaman move forward while performing his Trident Rush against the characters listed above. Well, while it will ensure that all four hits will be blocked, he'll still be at -11 and will be put within closer proximity to the opponent. If this happens, you can get a consistent d1 punish that leads to a combo, among...other options depending on your character. The situation doesn't change if Aquaman chooses to meter-burn the Trident Rush and move forward to make sure all of his hits connect...the block disadvantage remains at -11.

Now, allow me to list the punishment options available to you when you duck the last hit of the rush. I will not actually provide combos, as my usage of the five characters I'll be targeting is nonexistent...but I will list the basic options for one to go with. You're free to build upon these as you see fit.

Note: any strings that have a number in parentheses are defined as this: the first hit of those strings will not connect with Aquaman, but the follow-ups certainly will. You will notice this with Zod's options. I also put inputs for each special move in parentheses alongside their names.

Cyborg:

- s. 2 (you will have to walk forward slightly and then input the move)
- d1
- f2 2
- b3
- f3
- d3
- Super Move
- Power Fist (db1)
- Nova Blaster (bf1)
- Sonic Disruptor (df2)
- Techno Tackle (dbf3)

Green Arrow:

- d1
- d2
- d3
- Hurricane Bow (df1)
- b2
- b3
- f3
- Stinger (bf3)

Hawkgirl:

- d1
- d2
- d3
- f1 1
- Super Move
- Mace Charge (bf2)
- b1 3
- b2 (unfortunately, any strings that follow off the b2 will not be able to connect. This means b2 2 and b2 2 b3 cannot be completed for a whiff-punish, BUT you can cancel into specials off of b2)

Lobo:

- s. 2
- 2 1
- 2 1 3
- s. 3
- b1
- b2
- b2 u1
- b1 2
- f2
- f2 1 3
- f2 3
- b3
- f3
- Super Move
- Pump Shot (df1)
- Czarnian Toss (dbf2)
- Space Hook (db2)
- Low Space Hook (df3)
- Hook Charge (bf3)

(none of Lobo's crouch attacks will connect for a whiff-punish)

Zod:

- d3
- b2
- b2 3
- s. 3
- (1) 2
- (1) 2 3
- (b1) 2
- (b1) 2 3
- f2
- f2 1
- f2 1 u2
- f2 1 u2 3
- f2 1 3
- Side Arm (bf1)
- Zod Charge (bf2)
- Ground Blast (db2)
- Phantom Strike (bf3)
- Super Move

Now, there also exist unique options in countering the Trident Rush that don't necessarily require ducking the last hit of the move. Here is one such option from Lex Luthor. Although he cannot duck the Trident Rush, what he can do is, while his trait is active, let go of block before the last hit strikes him. While this will negate his armor, Lex will not go into a state of hit-stun and is therefore in a position to apply a strong punish to Aquaman. This note is credited to rev0lver.

That should be all of them. Give 'em a try and see what happens! :)

I will edit this post with any discoveries I come across in further testing. You're free to contribute with additions and or/corrections if you can. I may add in a video guide to assist with those who need a demonstration...an idea I was considering since I began testing this out.

Last edited:

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
This includes the Meter-Burn versions of all characters' specials...at least to those for which meter can be spent.

So yeah, MB moves will work.
I think he means MB Trident Rush, and no. All hits of MB Trident Rush connect I believe.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I think he means MB Trident Rush, and no. All hits of MB Trident Rush connect I believe.
AK Pig Of The Hut

If the MB Trident Rush is what you refer to, read my first post again. I do reference it. All hits will connect on block as long as Aquaman moves forward, but by doing so, he puts himself at -11 and in close quarters to the opponent, enabling punishment options.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
AK Pig Of The Hut

If the MB Trident Rush is what you refer to, read my first post again. I do reference it. All hits will connect on block as long as Aquaman moves forward, but by doing so, he puts himself at -11 and in close quarters to the opponent, enabling punishment options.
I thought all the hits of MB Trident Rush connected. That, or you said that they were too far away for a punish.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I thought all the hits of MB Trident Rush connected. That, or you said that they were too far away for a punish.
They do connect...that is exactly what I am saying.

If he doesn't move himself forward during the MB rush, some hits will whiff and he's vulnerable.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
This includes the Meter-Burn versions of all characters' specials...at least to those for which meter can be spent.

So yeah, MB moves will work.
video plz

You should make sure you're testing this on Aquaman players who do 100% FFFFFFF and 80% FFFFFF and 50% FFFFFF and 20% fffffff

ffffff= hitting the shit out of toward while doing it

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
As in with trait on, you can block trident rush and release block on the last hit to punish it.
Interesting...thanks for the note! I should try this out. I will make an edit to the original post so that this can be included. It isn't technically avoiding the last hit of the Trident Rush, but who cares? :)

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
new this was possible, the problem is, AM doesn't need to use this move vs Arrow unless he hit confirms it.

The AM players I play don't just throw this out there when I'm close enough to block and then punish it.

Did you do all your testing with the character blocking as close as possible first?

Good post for the AMs that like to Wake up with this move like fools though.