What's new

Strategy Punishing whiffed pokes

AestheticLove

Staff Tier
I forgot where I heard this but on a stream someone was talking about how punishing whiffed pokes is a big part of high level play, for instance i do this with kitana if you d1 then backdash into f21 you will catch them trying to poke out of an anticipated d1 cutter, it sounds gimmicky but I've done this on high level players with success. Now for Jade, i was thinking after a poke backdash into overhead or backdash into slide or backdash into 4 or back dash into ex overhead idk, i haven't played around with this much but I will tonight. Thoughts and ideas?

Espio

Kokomo
Whiff punishing pokes is amazing, something serious players need to take advantage of it works on high level players and it's definitely not gimmicky, it's a viable tactic.

Back 2 and staff overhead are viable options I use quite frequently. 25-30% damage for a whiffed poke is respectable.

Back 3, 2 is a possibility and of course standing 4, forward 3 or substituted for special is good as well.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Where do you gyus get these commands from "backdash into slide", "forward 3". Jade has nothing like that.
Anyway, like Espio said: b2 and b3 are best. I also use canceled pokes into OS, since if they try to counter-poke they will eat the OS.

The problem with using b2 and b3 is that it's a read. You'll also need to set up for the bait. Good option is 12 flash kick. They'll need to stand block for this set up to work, so maybe go for ex glow into jip. You could do 23f4 but the string doesn't jail and they can duck before the flash kick which botches the setup. At this point you have a couple of options. If you are really confident they'll go for a poke or something than go for b2/b3. If you'd prefer to confirm it, s4 is your best bet. It's got ridiculous range. Problem is it's 12f, not too slow but not exactly like JC's f3. It seems like it has more range though. Most likely, confirming into s4 will be your safest option as just simply walking backwards will blow up your b2/b3.

That's just a setup though. All 3 strings are good in the neutral game. You know, those guys who try to come in with d3s and d4s. All 3 strings are useful but s4 would probably be the easiest since it's 12f. Too bad the damage is abysmal. Good spacing is key here.

GambitTheFirst

Just some bees, please.
Where do you gyus get these commands from "backdash into slide", "forward 3". Jade has nothing like that.
Anyway, like Espio said: b2 and b3 are best. I also use canceled pokes into OS, since if they try to counter-poke they will eat the OS.
Espio said 4F3, just with a comma so I guess it looked like it was 4 or f3 just to confuse you =p. I'd assume by slide Aesthetic meant shadow kick, although I'm pretty sure a lot of d1/3s go under shadow kick? But yes, whiff punishing is a big part of Jade's game, b2 is good for it, but bad on block, I'm not sure how many characters can punish it if spaced right (which you will be if you're back dashing), but I'm pretty sure a few can, so be careful. I think B3 is a bit slow for punishing pokes, but definitely don't forget about it with whiff punishing in general.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Jade's whiffed poke punish options:
a.50.Counterpoke
b.50.BlowUp

a.Counterpoke
d3,4~options are your best bet.
d1df2 is semi-viable

b.BlowUp
50.overhead/ex preferred/~full combo
50.b2~full combo

~> If they are conditioned by this to block, you can move in for blockstrings or poke-throw.