What's new

Question Punishing Sonya's Cartwheel

If Sonya's cartwheel is -2 on block and Cyrax's fastest normal is d1, is d1 net the only thing I can do to punish it and hope the Sonya player doesn't follow up with a ex cartwheel, or is there something else?

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
NJP will actually punish it...

You can d1 after it if you want, but I wouldn't try to do a d1~net because obviously the net is not guaranteed and if Sonya blocks it you are going to get punished hard.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
If Sonya's cartwheel is -2 on block and Cyrax's fastest normal is d1, is d1 net the only thing I can do to punish it and hope the Sonya player doesn't follow up with a ex cartwheel, or is there something else?
A rule of thumb is:

You can't punish with an attack/move whose execution speed is greater than the absolute of the negative advantage on hit/block of the opposing attack/move.

In other words, to punish Cartwheel on block (-3) you need to use an attack/move with an execution speed no bigger than 3 frames; in this game there's none that fits the bill. The only way you can "punish" it on block is if the Sonya player tries to attack inmediately afterwards.

Espio

Kokomo
Neutral jump punch into combo of choice is the universal cast punish for cartwheel, particularly due to the fact that you can't punish it on block.

Also, since she's at -3, she can techniqually block any low poke because she recovers before a down 1/3 executes.

Then she can easily throw out an ex cartwheel even if you block it, so you have to be very careful with how you pressure her, even when she's at disadvantage.

Neutral jump punch into combo of choice is the universal cast punish for cartwheel, particularly due to the fact that you can't punish it on block.

Also, since she's at -3, she can techniqually block any low poke because she recovers before a down 1/3 executes.

Then she can easily throw out an ex cartwheel even if you block it, so you have to be very careful with how you pressure her, even when she's at disadvantage.
I thought it was -2, my mistake. But that's my concern is an ex cartwheel after the cartwheel, but that's probably everyone's.

I'll start doing a njp when I think they'll do it. Thanx :)

Seapeople

This one's for you
You could walk backward and whiff punish it to be safer than doing a njp. Whenever you block the cartwheel you can go right into a command grab if you expect her to block, d1 if you think she'll try to poke/jab/jump, or just keep blocking/risk a crossup if you think she'll go for another ex cartwheel. But you usually can't afford to waste much meter against Cyrax :)

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
You can also use anti-air and it will lift her right of out the cartwheel, since she is considered airborne when using this move. Its not much damage, but it works just like Jax's AA gotcha-grab on this move.