What's new

Strategy - Sonya Blade Punishing Kotal Kahn (War God)

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I played a match online and got bodied because I thought it was online and the moves my opponent was doing were super unsafe. (So I thought) Videos Below.

Overhead Sword Strike (-18 on Block)
F2 is possible to punish but the window is a 1 or 2 frame window.
Parry is an option of course. But this thread was made for blocking the move.

Sword Sweep (-15 on Block)
B1 is the main punish I would use, but it does require some timing. The window is not very big.
But of course if you read the low you can cross over JIP DiveKick Full combo punish for 37%

If I have missed something please let me know.

@SidTheHaze
@Espio
@jmt
@Death
@FCP/EMP SCAR
@Anbu
@Kakashi
@lslick
@Slayhawk84
@Denzell
@Permafrost
@Shady

Last edited:

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
I played a match online and got bodied because I thought it was online and the moves my opponent was doing were super unsafe. (So I thought) Videos Below.

Overhead Sword Strike (-18 on Block)
F2 is possible to punish but the window is a 1 or 2 frame window.
Parry is an option of course. But this thread was made for blocking the move.

Sword Sweep (-15 on Block)
B1 is the main punish I would use, but it does require some timing. The window is not very big.
But of course if you read the low you can cross over JIP DiveKick Full combo punish for 37%

If I have missed something please let me know.

@SidTheHaze
@Espio
@jmt
@Death
@FCP/EMP SCAR
@Anbu
@Kakashi
@lslick
@Slayhawk84
@Denzell
@Permafrost
@Shady
I remember getting bopped by my friends Kotal and it made me sad that I couldn't find a way to punish the overhead swing =[....Also a lot of Kotal love to use that F2 launcher move since it covers a lot of space. I believe it's punishable on block? Good that you started a thread on the Kotal MU since we don't have one yet lol

Kakashi

Noob
Sonya has a particular behavior against some characters. I've only tested against Kung Jin but I see it's the same against Kotal.

The Kung Jin' (MB) Bo Spin is punishable by several characters but with Sonya when the final blow that hits overhead pushes so far that can do nothing and this only happens with Sonya.

RexyWrecks

RTSD All Day. I'm going in. No Vaseline.
No need to punish overstrike. U can stuff it on wake up and interrupt it with 1,1 if it's canceled out of a string.

Edit: F2, B1 can punish it.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
No need to punish overstrike. U can stuff it on wake up and interrupt it with 1,1 if it's canceled out of a string.

Edit: F2, B1 can punish it.
Like I stated under the video, I know you can stuff it and parry it, this is a thread for IF you block it.

And please show me a video of B1 being a punish. I could not get it to work.

RexyWrecks

Like I stated under the video, I know you can stuff it and parry it, this is a thread for IF you block it.

And please show me a video of B1 being a punish. I could not get it to work.
I meant the full string, F2 B1. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

RexyWrecks

Oh, alright. Yes that I do know. It's under the video. but the window is super small.
Nothing that can't be done without practice. The window seems a lot bigger to me now.. I think I'm just used to the block stun of that special now =/

Dedlock

Noob
Something I noticed is Sonya's,punishing game is poor, especially with online lag. For me it has now become

Leg grab
F+4, into leg grab
F+2, B+1
1,2,1 leg grab or f+4

Dive kick I use for poking or bait punishin.

Sonya's uppercut is really terrible it's stats say otherwise but it's a death trap online, no range I'm scared to use even.when there is a big punish window.