What's new

Punishing certain moves

hey there,

i'm a noob when it comes to UMK3. i'm having trouble punishing certain moves online. what i mean is after i block these moves i don't know the best way to retaliate for damage. i play as rsmoke.

1. sub/rep's slide - too low for me to do anything.
2. jump kick
3. rushdown jabs or combo
4. mileena's teleport kick

also, i don't understand the aaHP thing. every time i hit HP when someone jump kicks at me i get smashed. i also never see it used in the match videos. does it just require really good timing?

final question, does rsmoke's teleport punch->harpoon->air throw do more than TP->harpoon->HP,HP,LK,HK,LP? i can't really tell, but if it does i'd much rather use it since it's harder to combo with the lag on live. i also know i can add a aaHP and JK into it but i've only managed to succeed once and i'd rather take the more reliable damage.

thanks for reading.

dreemernj

Ambassador
I only have a sec to post so I'll only mention one thing. With that Robo Smoke combo you mention. Teleport Uppercut, Spear, Air Throw? That doesn't really work. After you spear them if you leave the ground they are freed from the stun, and even if you try to just throw them while they are stunned, they can prevent your throw by holding away. I think the best bet would be to stick with the autocombo.

I havent played Robo Smoke in a minute but cant you teleport uc -> harpoon -> uppercut -> jk -> air throw?

You could always try juggling after the teleport uc too with aahp, right?

dreemernj said:
I only have a sec to post so I'll only mention one thing. With that Robo Smoke combo you mention. Teleport Uppercut, Spear, Air Throw? That doesn't really work. After you spear them if you leave the ground they are freed from the stun, and even if you try to just throw them while they are stunned, they can prevent your throw by holding away. I think the best bet would be to stick with the autocombo.
yeah, i messed it up. it should be Teleport Uppercut->Air Throw with no Spear.

dreemernj

Ambassador
Fat Sick Boot said:
I havent played Robo Smoke in a minute but cant you teleport uc -> harpoon -> uppercut -> jk -> air throw?

You could always try juggling after the teleport uc too with aahp, right?
There is no uppercut, jump kick, air throw with Robo Smoke. He doesn't have a popup. So you can get teleport uppercut, harpoon, combo, or teleport uppercut, aa.hp, spear, combo, stuff like that.

Against a blocked slide I usually just D+LK because its pretty safe. But there are probably better options.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
With Robot Smoke:

Teleport Uppercut, JK, air throw does 44%

TPU, Harpoon, 5 hit, does 40%, but also gives you the chance to do invisbility.

If you want, stick in an aaHP before the harpoon for 47%.

On some characters you can get an aaHP before the JK airthrow, but it's tough, and only in a situation where you hit them out of the air first:

aaHP, TPU, aaHP, JK, air throw = 57%.

In this situation, you might also be able to get aaHP, TPU, aaHPHP, harpoon, 5 hit combo - 60%.

maybe Im too slow or its cause its online but that never works after slide, I try all the time. I cant get anything to hit

thegears said:
2. jump kick
There's not a lot you can do AFTER you block this, It might be hard to get the aaHP at while they try to JK you so just practice/

Try to HP them if they JK early. Then (if you are robo smoke) do teleport uppercut, aaHP, spear, 5 hit autocombo.

If you are not good at getting the Tele-uppercut fast enough, just do spear, then 5 hit autocombo.

thegears said:
4. mileena's teleport kick
After you block it, run in, aaHP, teleport uppercut, and finish the combo however you like (see shock's post).

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The key to punishing it is trying to block it when it's very close to you, so you don't have to move forward. Taking a little running step after blocking can help, but often times with say, even 1/10 second of lag, it's too much. On Kaillera, Konqrr and I have labeled the Slide and Reptile's second half elbow dash as virtually punishable.

Hey Shock, do you have any problems doing Reptiles forceball combos online? Seems so hit and miss with button lag and all.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I only have trouble because of the controller right now. I can get HPHP, dash, HPHP, and 9 times out of 10 the next dash doesn't come out. Most I got was 3, with no uppercut. When I get a stick made or something, I'll be donig better with that specifically.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I've been punishing blocked slides since this was released on xbla, you just have to be expecting it and punish accordingly. It's difficult when you block it and didn't see it.

aC

Noob
Konqrr said:
I've been punishing blocked slides since this was released on xbla, you just have to be expecting it and punish accordingly. It's difficult when you block it and didn't see it.
but what are you punishing WITH?! I'm having a lot of trouble punishing the slide as well, its really getting annoying.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
It depends on the character. Your best bet is to go with a full low hitting combo.

aC

Noob
Shock said:
It depends on the character. Your best bet is to go with a full low hitting combo.
well say I'm human smoke against sub/reptile/classic sub, and I get swept but I block it.

The LK or HK starting combo's with the knee dont seem to hit, or am I just not being quick enough (which seems incredibly hard with the lag anyway).

Have others found it almost impossible to punish the slide online? or is it just a matter of getting the timing down.

aC

Noob
ded_ said:
block x spear, hk, lp, jk, spear, hk, d+lp, d+hp, aahp, jk+air throw
was that supposed to be "Block and spear" or do you mean "Block, HP, Spear"

If the former, the spear goes right over their head, or you wait and they've regained control.

If the latter, I haven't tried a standing HP but wouldn't that also be way too high to punish a slide?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Human Smoke punishers for blocked slide.

1. Spear, wait 1 second, HK,d+LP,d+HP (or HK,LP), Spear...
2. Walk up HK,LP, Jump Kick, Telepunch, Spear...

If you simply cannot get it fast enough, just begin your run jab game. Once you make them pay for trying to slide you out of your jabs, they will think twice!

aC

Noob
Konqrr said:
Human Smoke punishers for blocked slide.

1. Spear, wait 1 second, HK,d+LP,d+HP (or HK,LP), Spear...
2. Walk up HK,LP, Jump Kick, Telepunch, Spear...

If you simply cannot get it fast enough, just begin your run jab game. Once you make them pay for trying to slide you out of your jabs, they will think twice!
I'll try the second, but every time I've tried to spear after I either do it too quickly and it goes over their heads, or they simply duck after the recoup and have control back, there didn't seem to be a "stand up" in between that they were still frozen in which the spear would connect.