What's new

Guide - Shotgun Pump Action Raptor Resets

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
Beginner friendly guide on Resets in the Shotgun variation for Jacqui Briggs.

This is meant to help anyone picking up Shotgun Jacqui understand the Reset benefits of this character and how to use them. Nothing revolutionary here. This will be mostly for newcomers to SG Jacqui.

Forward dashes and jump ins mid combo when possible and used accordingly along with Kara cancels are extremely important to use in this specific variation, in order to preserve Stamina for follow up potential combos after Resets. Also tick throws as well to replenish your stamina bar when needed. Pay close attention to your Stamina along with stage positioning and... Have your next combo/set up in mind in advance. Don't want to reset someone, then realize you do not have enough Stamina to follow up with the next combo.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/f4-kara-canceling-method.54020/

Will clean this up later, as for now I'm just gonna upload Part 1 [Different options to Restand/Dust] and Part 3 [Just some examples]. Part 2 [Frame advantages on strings into Resets] will be uploaded when I have the time to put it together. Not being able to record the VO audio as I'm doing it is gonna make it take longer than it has to.

Currently using Xbox Upload Studio and adding the voice after the clips are done. Makes for some awkward rushed commentary in certain previously recorded clips.

I will however, go over some key things in text for Part 2 to get you guys started.

If @JustinXavier21 or @Youphemism or any other Shotgun Jacqui mains I might not of been aware of or overlooked would like to add to this, please do kind sirs.

Part 1 [Different options to Restand/Dust]

Part 2 [Frame advantages on strings into Resets] Will upload vid when I have the time [see above] but for now, some key pointers.

Will probably make an on hit and on block vid for part 2, two parts...

Some combos will leave your opponent Dusted at a range where they can block the next attack, but have no time to backdash, jump, armor or poke out. At this range in this scenario, your main three options are going to be Kara cancel 4B, Kara cancel 2B for an uninterruptible 50/50 and F4 leaving you +2 on block using the forward 4 as a tick throw. Throws can be low crushed in which case we would use the +2 to back walk baiting out a poke or D2 and punishing with a F12~2+4 opener.

For combos or mid combos that leave you toe to toe with your opponent with a guaranteed combo ender or hit, this is where the following strings come into play...

On hit... 121, 21, 11, and 12 all grant an uninterruptible B2. 12 however, grants a 50/50 option between B2 and B33, being the only string with enough advantage on hit while still leaving you at range for B33.

21 leaves you at 22 frames of hit advantage.

121 leaves you at 22 frames of hit advantage.

12 leaves you at 21 frames of hit advantage, but leaves you the closest to your opponent making a perfectly timed B33 uninterruptible. After 12 on hit, your opponent cannot press any button or neutral duck immediately. This makes them have to respect 114, easily hit confirmable into Dust or just ending the 114 at +2 if blocked. S1 as a tick throw after 12 on hit is good because if done just 2 frames after recovery, it will grab on hit or block. Other strings will make the immediate grab attempt whiff on hit.

11 leaves you at 25 frames of hit advantage. This gives you the best amount of time to go for Kara cancel 4B.
The Kara cancel 4B can be backdashed. If it is, you are still at advantage after whiffing the Kara cancel 4B.
When done frame perfect it cannot be jumped but, you will hit them airborne changing the properties for your follow up.

It is not in your opponents best interest to try to Backdash or Jump however, if they like to try to, Both of those options will make B2 free all day.

You do want to apply the B33 low after 12 on hit, and the Kara 4B after 11 on hit occasionally to give them a reason to duck, opening up B2 as your best option.

Part 3 [Examples]

Will possibly add more to this in the future if we happen to see some possible upcoming changes to this variation.

Last edited:

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
Good stuff man. Honestly i started with FA jacqui and never tried learning anything else, but this thread is great. I Will Be giving this variation some attention soon. Thanks.

I Was surprised by your voice. You dont sound like a WidowPuppy lol
Nice Ecodus, glad you like it. There's some other things I've yet to add but this is enough to get people started. Will edit the OP when I have the time, today I've got things to attend to.

The WidowPuppy name was originally created to just piss people off in FPS, got it from listening to my girl talk baby talk to our dog. No one likes to get killed over and over by a WidowPuppy :)

My favorite Jacqui variation <3
Definitely solid, there are however some inconsistencies. Hopefully that will be tweaked at some point. I am still leaning more towards FA for the most viable of Jacqui's variations, we'll see what the future brings.

Terrencify

Jacqui The Feint God
Thanks man I appreciate it and so do a fellow Raptor users out there lol. About to get into high tech cause I avoid it, I'll come back to this.

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
B14~BF2 can be iffy to convert off of sometimes, just a note you might want to add. Everything seems good though :)
Alright cool Youph. Yeah, purposely left out B14 in part 1 due to that, along with the fact that unless it's manually OSed, BF2... after that getting blocked, will get ya killed real quick. Guess I might of had it in an Example in part 3, but more so showing the Resets in that vid than the combos or starters.

And yes, also due to push back even one hit, can make Dusting after the BF2 even more iffy than it already is. BTW guys... you can run into 12 Dust after a B33~BF2 of Kara 4B~BF2 on male characters, but it is tight.

Last edited:

cashthesehands

monster masher
Beginner friendly guide on Resets in the Shotgun variation for Jacqui Briggs.

On hit... 121, 21, 11, and 12 all grant an uninterruptible B2. 12 however, grants a 50/50 option between B2 and B33, being the only string with enough advantage on hit while still leaving you at range for B33.

21 leaves you at 22 frames of hit advantage.

121 leaves you at 22 frames of hit advantage.

12 leaves you at 21 frames of hit advantage, but leaves you the closest to your opponent making a perfectly timed B33 uninterruptible. After 12 on hit, your opponent cannot press any button or neutral duck immediately. This makes them have to respect 114, easily hit confirmable into Dust or just ending the 114 at +2 if blocked. S1 as a tick throw after 12 on hit is good because if done just 2 frames after recovery, it will grab on hit or block. Other strings will make the immediate grab attempt whiff on hit.

11 leaves you at 25 frames of hit advantage. This gives you the best amount of time to go for Kara cancel 4B.
Excellent breakdown, thanks for making the advantage so clear. I'm still struggling to see the use of dropping a second dust for a mid combo reset, other than when close to the corner. Although it does seem to be useful to mix in a 12, b33 to get the opponent to start blocking low. Also this shit is gold during the approach to the corner.

B14~BF2 can be iffy to convert off of sometimes, just a note you might want to add. Everything seems good though :)
On males it's a little easier, but it the timing is incredibly tight to link a dust. I think her most realistic shot at a tweak in the patch will address her dust tracking for airborne opponents.

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
Ahh I wasn't aware that was gender-specific.
Actually, I just tried it on Sonya and it's pretty consistent. But when trying it on Jacqui in my vid, it was inconsistent.

Edit: Nevermind, it seems to be consistent. Must of needed more coffee, lol. Also another way to save stamina, I like this.

Last edited:

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Yea I just tested it. It's consistent if you do F12~2+4 RC 12-dust, then RC JIP-B2-dust... but NOT if you do F12~2+4 RC 121-dust, then RC JIP-B2-dust

It seems to only work if you do JIP-B2-dust... Can't exclude the JIP part.

EDIT:
RC is not necessary before the JIP.

Last edited:
Good stuff Widow. Jacqui has been a character that I've labbed numerous times and just don't feel comfortable with her. Idk what it is about her BUT... perhaps some of this tech will rectify that.

I too liked shotgun best

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
Ahhh ok. They bounce too high for JIP-B2-dust to work after 114-dust I think.
Yeah, I knew that worked [in some combo], was trying it the wrong one, lol. Definitely going to throw that into my mix, Thanks Scar.

Good stuff Widow. Jacqui has been a character that I've labbed numerous times and just don't feel comfortable with her. Idk what it is about her BUT... perhaps some of this tech will rectify that.

I too liked shotgun best
Sweet Aqueous. The whole idea is to get some more people rockin Jacqui Briggs. Will be happy if this helps anyone picking up her SG variation, this should be enough to get people started.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Good stuff dude! There's useful info that's universal too so it's not just Shotty stuff :D
I'll edit the MU/Strategy thread with the universal tidbits, now if people would actually post some Matchup stuff there we'd be making progress (hopefully) ~__~

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
Good stuff dude! There's useful info that's universal too so it's not just Shotty stuff :D
I'll edit the MU/Strategy thread with the universal tidbits, now if people would actually post some Matchup stuff there we'd be making progress (hopefully) ~__~
Agreed Truly. I've been applying some of these things to FA as well, along with some new stagger string mix ups I like to use. The MU thread being updated would be nice.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Agreed Truly. I've been applying some of these things to FA as well, along with some new stagger string mix ups I like to use. The MU thread being updated would be nice.
Yeah I did what I could and have semi-done write ups on the characters I have in my scene (Kotal, Jax, Sub, Erron) but I've been busy prepping for my wedding next month so I haven't had time to finish the write-ups and no one has posted anything there, I can't do it alone my T-Rex brethrens ;(

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
Yeah I did what I could and have semi-done write ups on the characters I have in my scene (Kotal, Jax, Sub, Erron) but I've been busy prepping for my wedding next month so I haven't had time to finish the write-ups and no one has posted anything there, I can't do it alone my T-Rex brethrens ;(
Congrats on your upcoming wedding. :)

I'm so lacking MU experience with Jacqui, I only get to play my homies Mileena offline, and who ever else he experiments with. Would have more MU experience if I did not DESPISE the online in this game. When I do venture into that lagfest, I usually roll with D'vorah so I can out poke these ten D3 in a row using ass mother fuckers.

Last edited:

cashthesehands

monster masher
Actually, I just tried it on Sonya and it's pretty consistent. But when trying it on Jacqui in my vid, it was hella inconsistent.

Edit: Nevermind, it seems to be consistent. Must of needed more coffee, lol. Also another way to save stamina, I like this.
Congrats on your upcoming wedding. :)

I'm so lacking MU experience with Jacqui, I only get to play my homies Mileena offline, and who ever else he experiments with. Would have more MU experience if I did not DESPISE the online in this game. When I do venture into that lagfest,I usually roll with D'vorah so I can out poke these ten D3 in a row using ass mother fuckers.
Haha, I keep a pocket Cassie for the poke wars. It is nigh impossible to escape pressure online with jacqui.

I
Yes. Taking shotgun more seriously has made my Full Auto game that much more deadly. When you remove her gunshots and up rocket, you gotta lean more on her other tools. It is amazing how many neutral ducks her bf2 can catch in FA

Yeah, I knew that worked [in some combo], was trying it the wrong one, lol. Definitely going to throw that into my mix, Thanks Scar.

D

Sweet Aqueous. The whole idea is to get some more people rockin Jacqui Briggs. Will be happy if this helps anyone picking up her SG variation, this should be enough to get people started.
Yeah I had a good amount of combos going with her. My problem with her was opening opponents up, anti air punishes, and overall footsies. I was using her in a very meter dependent way and I just did not ever feel in control with her. I felt more defensive with her which is fine, I like defense... but her reach killed me and trying to get good damage/space on punishes was frustrating so I haven't played her in some time.

Thanks to this tech I may bring her back! Props WidowPuppy