What's new

Psuedo Set-up that needs clarifying...

NKZero

Noob
So I was messing around with Sektor and seeing what I can do with 122 on hit with up missiles. I then was experimenting with 122-backwards up missile. When 122 hits, I then launch a back up missile and do a slight dash forward before inputting F2. The F2 if blocked (you assume they'll block) pushes them onto the backwards up missile. Now I know that the up missile gives advantage but everytime I try to follow up with anything I get poked out of it. It doesn't seem that in this situation I am getting advantage off a blocked up missile.

This isn't a true set-up but if the opponent blocks then it can come in handy (that is if you actually get advantage). Can somebody test this and see what's up with it?

Ketchup-LK9T9 SwiftTomHanks IKizzLE

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
I can do, if it's a straight missile you may not be able to follow it up with a huge amount. As the missile is always set to go down at a set time, I'll see what I can get :)

NKZero

Noob
I can do, if it's a straight missile you may not be able to follow it up with a huge amount. As the missile is always set to go down at a set time, I'll see what I can get :)
straight missile? i meant up missile or am i mis-understanding you here? i don't get why when the blocked F2 pushes the opponent back onto the up missile i don't get frame advantage. i try to follow up with any string and the AI pokes out almost every time...

PND_Ketchup

straight missile? i meant up missile or am i mis-understanding you here? i don't get why when the blocked F2 pushes the opponent back onto the up missile i don't get frame advantage. i try to follow up with any string and the AI pokes out almost every time...
I mean the Up missile, it's always set to go down on the opponent at a set time, unlike the homing missile which can vary depending on when you do it, and when you go for a F2 or B1. I can't say anything because i've not tested this specific set up yet. I'll get back to you shortly.

EDIT: just read my original post back, dunno why i said straight missile, oopsie!

PND_Ketchup

I've been trying it out, and more often than not the missile completely misses before it connects, and if it does because of the distance, I can only get a single attack :(.

I tend to get more success with close Um as a bait.

NKZero

Noob
I've been trying it out, and more often than not the missile completely misses before it connects, and if it does because of the distance, I can only get a single attack :(.

I tend to get more success with close Um as a bait.
thanks for looking into it. with me what happens is when I do an F2 on blocking opponent, it propels him into the backwards up missile but I don't seem to get the advantage. maybe it is to do with the fact that the UM doesn't hit the opponent on the top of his head? it would be great if i got the advantage even if it isn't a guaranteed set-up the opponent would have to take a risk between jumping (thus getting anti-aired) or staying in place and being forced to block a F2.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
If the 122 hits, then I have had the f2 push them back into the up missile. That said though, my friends have jumped out it by jumping at me. And I had to rush in and do a f2 instead of wait and react to AA a jump in to make sure the missile would be blocked.

Sorry about not getting back to the thread.

I think this is still really good tech, we all just need to mess around with it a little more.

NKZero

Noob
If the 122 hits, then I have had the f2 push them back into the up missile. That said though, my friends have jumped out it by jumping at me. And I had to rush in and do a f2 instead of wait and react to AA a jump in to make sure the missile would be blocked.

Sorry about not getting back to the thread.

I think this is still really good tech, we all just need to mess around with it a little more.
hey man thanks for the response. but when you do push them back into the up missile do you get the advantage? also d'you not have enough time to see what they are doing first before comitting to F2? yeah hopefully we can find something good with this.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
hey man thanks for the response. but when you do push them back into the up missile do you get the advantage? also d'you not have enough time to see what they are doing first before comitting to F2? yeah hopefully we can find something good with this.
You have the advantage, so it seems. That said, they are not jailed so you can't pressure with 12. It also doesn't look like it is enough advantage for a jump over punch since I have been AA d1'ed when trying to do so.

And yes, I don't have enough time to see what they are doing. I have to rush in for the f2 without confirming anything. Also 122 behind up missile on block is mad unsafe (most people don't know that though, including my friends lololol...shhhhh).

NKZero

Noob
You have the advantage, so it seems. That said, they are not jailed so you can't pressure with 12. It also doesn't look like it is enough advantage for a jump over punch since I have been AA d1'ed when trying to do so.

And yes, I don't have enough time to see what they are doing. I have to rush in for the f2 without confirming anything. Also 122 behind up missile on block is mad unsafe (most people don't know that though, including my friends lololol...shhhhh).
Haha your secret is safe with me. Just to clarify though, I would only ever do this if 122 hits (I know how horribly unsafe it is on block :p). So you can use the other strings though such as B21/B34 or whatever. Also surely you have enough advantage to allow the 1 to whiff so the follow up 2 will connect no?

Is there a good way to test against the AI? I just set them to expert mode after 122 hits and then I try to go for the set-up. My F2 hits them into the missile but they somehow find a way to poke out before I get standing 1. Maybe it is because as you said the 1 hits high so they evade it and there isn't enough advantage...

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Haha your secret is safe with me. Just to clarify though, I would only ever do this if 122 hits (I know how horribly unsafe it is on block :p). So you can use the other strings though such as B21/B34 or whatever. Also surely you have enough advantage to allow the 1 to whiff so the follow up 2 will connect no?

Is there a good way to test against the AI? I just set them to expert mode after 122 hits and then I try to go for the set-up. My F2 hits them into the missile but they somehow find a way to poke out before I get standing 1. Maybe it is because as you said the 1 hits high so they evade it and there isn't enough advantage...
It's gotta be because the 1 whiffs and then your advantage is gone. The 2 in 12 also whiffs against everyone without a large hitbox. It's one of the only strings in the game where the first two hits whiff. What it does grant is a b2 or b3... or so it appears.

That said though, my friends have jumped out by jumping as I'm coming in with the f2.

NKZero

Noob
It's gotta be because the 1 whiffs and then you're advantage is gone. The 2 in 12 also whiffs against everyone without a large hitbox. It's one of the only strings in the game where the first two hits whiff. What it does grant is a b2 or b3... or so it appears.

That said though, my friends have jumped out by jumping as I'm coming in with the f2.
right I guess it's sort of a strange 50/50 in a way. If they jump and you guess correctly, you anti-air combo. If they stay blocking you get advantage and if F2 hits you have advantage as well. If they jump and you go for F2 you get blown up. Does that sound accurate? Anyways thanks for all the info mate I will check it out more tonight and see what Sektor's offensive options are assuming the opponent blocks the missile that he is pushed into...

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
right I guess it's sort of a strange 50/50 in a way. If they jump and you guess correctly, you anti-air combo. If they stay blocking you get advantage and if F2 hits you have advantage as well. If they jump and you go for F2 you get blown up. Does that sound accurate? Anyways thanks for all the info mate I will check it out more tonight and see what Sektor's offensive options are assuming the opponent blocks the missile that he is pushed into...
Pretty much. Sometimes their jump punches didn't hit since you are moving forward with the f2. Sometimes it did hit and you get blown up. Still a good 50/50 mind game imo.

NKZero

Noob
Pretty much. Sometimes their jump punches didn't hit since you are moving forward with the f2. Sometimes it did hit and you get blown up. Still a good 50/50 mind game imo.
yep ok. thanks again will check it all out and give ya the juicy stuff. also it seems like the one bad option sektor is left with could be unlikely to occur since not many ppl have the balls to jump into a guy who has anti-air moves coming out of his ass...

NKZero

Noob
SwiftTomHanks man the training mode is so shit I really couldn't get some good results from testing this. They ALWAYS jump. So yes if they commit to jump and you stay back you get an anti-air combo. When I tried to F2 they would either blow me up or F2 pushes me past them as you already stated. Not once did they block. Maybe I need to look into training mode settings closer to try and create the optimal situation but I feel this is one of these things that is better tested with a friend or something...

NKZero

Noob
ok dweebs Ketchup-LK9T9 and SwiftTomHanks:

I tested this some more and the problem I found was that though the up missile appears to make contact with the opponent when F2 pushes them back, it doesn't register as a hit (thus no advantage). You will only get advantage if the missile lands on the top of their head. Out of the 30 or so times I tried it I could only get it to happen 5 times or so. The timing is too strict to do a little dash forward after 122 on hit and then F2. This set-up works perfectly with the above up missile but we have a new problem that wouldn't have occurred had the backwards up missile set-up work effectively...

122 hits...launch above up missile

GO FOR F2 and the opponent jumps=blown up by JIP or their JIP misses but you lose the set-up opportunity
GO FOR F2 and they block=you force them to block F2, the up missile is blocked as well and you have great frame advantage
GO FOR F2 and it hits=you have frame advantage from that plus the missile either hits or is blocked=MORE advantage
STAY BACK and they jump=you have a free anti-air combo
STAY BACK and they remain blocking=you lost an opportunity for a set-up but at least your safe

BUT....they can now jump back and avoid it everytime regardless of what you do. The backwards up missile ensured that they couldn't do that but now they can jump back as they aren't jumping into anything. Jumping back avoids F2 and if you stand there waiting for an anti-air combo that's kinda useless as well. So it doesn't look like it will work :(.

We have to find a way to get the backwards up missile working to eliminate the opponents' choices...

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
NKZero

There are probably better set ups in which to use than 122. Most of the time 12 will be blocked and the overhead will hit them; thus not being able to hit confirm. If all of 122 hit, I would rather have gotten a 12b1 lol.

Perhaps this set up would work better with 124?

When I was doing 122 behind up missile it appeared to hit them every time. They could still jump at you getting a jip or just whiffing a jip. Perhaps though it just looked like the missile hit like you said; that sucks balls.

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
what I usually do is just 122~straight missile, they block the straight missile but I'm safe from almost everything from this distance, then when they try to punish I either NJP to catch the jump or backdash and b+2,1

NKZero

Noob
NKZero

There are probably better set ups in which to use than 122. Most of the time 12 will be blocked and the overhead will hit them; thus not being able to hit confirm. If all of 122 hit, I would rather have gotten a 12b1 lol.

Perhaps this set up would work better with 124?

When I was doing 122 behind up missile it appeared to hit them every time. They could still jump at you getting a jip or just whiffing a jip. Perhaps though it just looked like the missile hit like you said; that sucks balls.
yeah you're right why sacrifice huge damage by sacrificing a guaranteed 12B1 for a non-guaranteed set-up. But if that's the case I don't think 124 has a purpose either. Anyways I want to find something good for 122 on hit mid-screen. In the corner you get a safe jump but idk...this is all part of the 12(2 overhead) or a quick B34 mix-up option. you either finish the 122 or you do 12 and then B3 (which is quick). but if 122 hits mid-screen I dunno what to do with it.