What's new

PS3 and Ethernet Cable

Theme

Noob
So I am dorming now. Last year, my ethernet cable was fine hooked up to my dorming plugs. Now that I am back, its not working for some odd reason. When I set it up as ethernet and wired connection, it goes to the Obtaining IP page, and sits there for a minute. Then it tells me the attempt has failed.

I plug the ethernet cable from my PS3 to my Laptop (which currently has wireless internet) and now it works fine...

Does anyone know what is the problem or how this is happening? It only works with my laptop, which is annoying if I need it. I cant use my PS3 and LAPTOP at the same time because it will lag like hell on both.

My dorms dont support gaming console wirelessly, but ethernet cable is fine.

Anyone know the reason why?

Ask your IT guy and check PS3 settings. There are two main ways to get an IP, either you set in a static one or you'll get one through DHCP.

Check the laptop, find out if they had to set you up with a static IP or not, that's the first thing, if it's DHCP (which it should be) make sure the PS3 is good for that.

You could also do an ipconfig on your laptop and see what sort of IP range they are pushing to you, than manually add something in that range the PS3 and see if it works, so long as the IP isn't being leased actively through DHCP you should be good.

Theme

Noob
Ask your IT guy and check PS3 settings. There are two main ways to get an IP, either you set in a static one or you'll get one through DHCP.

Check the laptop, find out if they had to set you up with a static IP or not, that's the first thing, if it's DHCP (which it should be) make sure the PS3 is good for that.

You could also do an ipconfig on your laptop and see what sort of IP range they are pushing to you, than manually add something in that range the PS3 and see if it works, so long as the IP isn't being leased actively through DHCP you should be good.
I have almost next to no clue what you said :(

I went through Custom configs on my PS3 and came to DHCP. I have that on DOESNT NEED TO BE CHANGED. When I go to SET, It askes for a HOST NAME. Which would that be?

*I also did a work order, but it wont be getting here anytime soon. At least a week+.

I have almost next to no clue what you said :(

I went through Custom configs on my PS3 and came to DHCP. I have that on DOESNT NEED TO BE CHANGED. When I go to SET, It askes for a HOST NAME. Which would that be?

*I also did a work order, but it wont be getting here anytime soon. At least a week+.
Sorry I'm sysadmin/network admin and IT company officer at my job, I can get techy.

Any device will need an IP address to connect to the internet. There are two ways to go about 1) static, you set the IP address but it needs to be good for that network. 2) DCHP, the server assigns you an IP address via a lease. Odds are it's using method #2, far more common and less effort for the IT staff.

What OS is your laptop? I dunno where it would be for crapple err... apple, but all OS have a way to check this under network settings. The IP address is either set by you or leased via DHCP.

I'd go (for the PS3 menu) custom, wired, manual, auto, auto (a note about manual here later), do not set, auto, auto, do not use, enable and see what happens.

If that does not work you either need a DHCP name which an IT guy there can give you, or the actual settings for ip, subnet, et all (more on this later).

Those settings can be pulled from your computer. In windows XP go to start, run, and then type in CMD, the command prompt will come up and then input "ipconfig /all" for win7 just put cmd into search and then type in "ipconfig /all" and windows will pull all that information and you can just enter it manually. The kicker here is the IP address which will have 4 octets divided up by a . so xxx.xx.xx.x or something like that. Jigger around the last octet and see if it connects.

The IT guys could also have blocks and items that will screw with your PS3, there are ways around this but it's technical.

Theme

Noob
What OS is your laptop? I dunno where it would be for crapple err... apple, but all OS have a way to check this under network settings. The IP address is either set by you or leased via DHCP.

I'd go (for the PS3 menu) custom, wired, manual, auto, auto (a note about manual here later), do not set, auto, auto, do not use, enable and see what happens.

If that does not work you either need a DHCP name which an IT guy there can give you, or the actual settings for ip, subnet, et all (more on this later).

Those settings can be pulled from your computer. In windows XP go to start, run, and then type in CMD, the command prompt will come up and then input "ipconfig /all" for win7 just put cmd into search and then type in "ipconfig /all" and windows will pull all that information and you can just enter it manually. The kicker here is the IP address which will have 4 octets divided up by a . so xxx.xx.xx.x or something like that. Jigger around the last octet and see if it connects.

The IT guys could also have blocks and items that will screw with your PS3, there are ways around this but it's technical.
I have a Asus Windows 7 OS.

I tried the first one. At manual, theres a list of things uner SPEED AND DUPLEX:

Auto-detect;
10BASE-T Half Duplex
10BASE-T Full-Duplex
100BASE-T Half Duplex
1000-T Full Duplex

etc

Which do I pick?

Also, at IP address, I used Manual, and then I put in all the necessary info, but I couldnt find the 'default router'. Everything else is perfect. I put in some random numbers for Default router and it worked, got the IP and everything too, but failed to connect to the internet. How can I find out the Default Router IP?

you want auto, speed doesn't matter for the most part, just leave it to auto and ignore it, speed works down not up but in generally these things aren't finicky about it unless your IT guy is trying to make his own life difficult.

Host router should be default gateway.... which should probably share the IP of the DHCP server, these items often exist on the same physical box.

Also make sure you are pulling the wired IP off the laptop, ipconfig /all will dump all IP's it's got, so make sure you're not slapping in the wifi info.