What's new

PS Vita Injustice 1st Impressions

Protectobot

More Displacer Raiden, please! ;P
Well, I JUST bought the PS Vita tonight, and I was practicing combos. WOW, this game's timing is weird for me! I've never played Injustice and only watched vids. Now I think I can see how/why ppl get hit by attacks in this game that would never work in SF3. I'm not sure how much I like it yet. I'm feeling kinda lazy about learning what each character can do unless they're causing problems for me, and I think it'll take a long time before I can give anyone online a serious challenge.

With SF games, it seems like you do inputs as the attacks come out, but with IJ, you have to do button press strings in advance, which at least discourages button-spamming. I dunno if my previous fighter experience is helpful or not for making the adjustment.

To give an example of my execution skills, I can do f2, 3, f2, 3, air grab, heat vision with Supes fairly easily, and I can see how to MB freeze breath after the same chain, but I don't know the specific follow-ups yet, which is more a matter of combo knowledge. I can sometimes connect the b3 after MB scoop grab with MMH, just since I wanted to see if I can do it, but now I think I see why ppl say he's more technical (timing for combos as well as spacing for his projectiles and such). I'll leave him on the shelf, though, unless he gets patched.

I had trouble getting the right specials to come out for MMH when I just wanted to mess around with his cool attacks and do all the combos I saw online. It didn't seem to matter if I spammed buttons or not...but that didn't seem to happen at all with Supes.

Also in practice mode, it seemed that jump-ins and crossups whiff a lot on ducking opponents of various sizes, so it almost seemed like it was better to try to duck an ambiguous crossup on wake-up, rather than risk a full combo punish for blocking wrong, unless my spacing and timing was just not good, or my character didn't have a good crossup. MMH's jump-in 1 almost seemed like an auto-crossup, yet with Supes' jump-ins and dive punch (d3 in the air, I think?), I had trouble hitting the cpu when it was ducking.

I didn't have too much trouble doing throws or meter-burning specials, and the left analog stick never got in my way when using the d-pad. I tried the analog, but it didn't seem as reliable (esp. for jumping).

I'm so used to the ol' 6-button SF layout, that I keep forgetting which buttons are for which specials, and I'm not sure if I could adjust the layout for myself in a way that would make it easier for me to learn. The idea that heat vision is done the same way as heat zap but only with a different button is confusing for me. I'm used to everything having a different command. It looks like I can do sf rotations or directional taps without turning on the alternate controls, which is kinda funny lol.

I think I also need to get familiarized with characters' speed of movement, what their overheads look like, and the properties of their traits (which I haven't studied much yet) and specials.

I just KOMPLETED battle mode on medium difficulty and was shocked to lose my first-ever fight against cpu Lex after he kept activating armor: SCARY! I used trait to try to counter him. His missile lock or whatever was confusing to me, as well as Sinestro's long-range meteor-drop thing (gotta learn the names or nicknames for attacks, too) as I couldn't seem to block them. That's how little I truly know about this game. I learned in advance about how to block DD's ground pound as I saw a tourney player get hit by it repeatedly until he blocked it once (maybe by accident?). WOW...same thing probably would've happened to me.

This game seems to take a lot of skill in ways I wouldn't have expected because of applying knowledge for each MU and knowing how characters might change after a patch. Traits and animations will take a while for me to understand, I think. When I watched tourney vids, commentators would say the players did something 'really smart' over and over, and I often didn't understand what they had done and how they knew when to do it, while at other times, I thought that what they did should have been obvious to exploit or obvious bait/obvious to avoid or try to counter for the opponent. Interactables seem to hit at weird angles sometimes, as cpu WW kept hitting me when I thought I was out of attack range lol. Dashing seems to close the distance between characters so fast that I can't tell when I'm gonna get rushed down by the opponent.

I'm still a bit overwhelmed by this game. I'll just have to see what happens, and hopefully I can establish a good wifi connection at home with a wireless router.

Last edited:

Protectobot

I wanted to make one more progress report on my skill level for the game. I watched a little Grundy combo tutorial and I was a tad concerned about execution, but I tried the combo and it was an easy 45%-50% damage combo with only 1 bar of meter, and it seemed almost impossible to mess up, compared to some of the Supes combos I've been trying. My highest-damage combo with Supes so far is close to 40% with 1 bar but I'm going to learn some of the basic corner combos that do 55-60% or more. I'm working on Bats now, who seemed easier to pick up than I would have guessed. I'm still learning about some of the game's features, such as bounce cancels. I wanted to mention these examples as preparation for playing the superior online players. I feel like I have a lot of catching up to do and wanted to put up a good fight, and this is especially since this forum seems to be mostly pro players, AND since it's hard to pick online players based on skill level (rank doesn't mean much to a lot of players, or maybe just 'true' rank?) outside of private matches.

Protectobot

Never too late to start. I'll add you on the vita and show you some stuff, sound good? My psn is Jeffn2Relax
COOL! Thanks :D Hopefully I won't be the worst beginner ever. I just uploaded a vid in the morning of Vita gameplay using Supes. I've got a bunch of characters I wanna try. Lobo would be fun to learn too! :D I'll add you too when I get back online.