What's new

Match Footage Protagonist_1(Cyborg) vs. CrustyClown (Sinestro) Analysis

Protagonist_1(Cyborg) vs. CrustyClown (Sinestro) Analysis

With all the injustice hype going on Crusty and I decided to do a friendly set in injustice, and have a rather open discussion about what we were thinking as we were playing the matchup. Set was 11-3 (so yeah, got bodied haha), but I definitely learned a lot on where I need to improve on

Purpose of this thread:

The purpose of this thread is to generally help new comers or beginners how to watch footage of their matches and improve, and analyze matchups. I had no idea all the mistakes I was making in game until rewatching the footage, and if you’re trying to level up it’s a must. Even Infiltration watches matches he has lost and always asks what he could have done better. I hope this helps.

Initial thoughts prior to the match:
-I knew b1,2 would a problem in this matchup since I wasn’t sure how I could whiff punish it. I was trying multiple things to bait it out and punish with but I figured I would use Novablast to whiff punish as a poke.

-My goal initially was to play aggressive, build as much meter as possible, and delay trait as soon as possible, even if it meant taking damage doing so. I noticed I lot of WoundCowboy’s matches there were times the opponent would show too much respect and allow a full trait charge, so I wanted to prevent this.

-Considering b1,2 and Sinestro’s zoning ability when traited, I felt the range to approach this matchup would be just outside b1,2 range to full screen. IAFB if done correctly has quick recovery, which would allow me to get a favorable trade with boulder, and hopefully be able to block fear blast in time from full screen

-Trait would be a game changer, Sinestro is almost an entirely different character with trait

-Sinestro’s vortex meant no life lead was guaranteed

Set (Annotated)

Things to improve on:

-Punishment: I missed several punishes in this match, on one point I backdashed a point-blank shackles (facepalm). Every punish counts, and there were points where if I would have punished correctly I could have won the match.

-Patience: Knowing when to slow down a match, or get into rhythm after taking too much damage is important. I was rather impatient, grappling randomly without reason, and throwing out MBB3’s out of pure greediness for damage. Everything you do needs to have a purpose, other than “I want free damage bro.”

-Frame Data: I didn’t realize how little I knew of Sinestro’s frame data until playing this set. I even checked up on Cyborg’s frame data and realized I had a lot of gaps of information. Of course, some of the frame data online isn’t updated, but that’s what testing and practice mode is for.

-Situational awareness: If I have a significant life lead, then there’s little reason to go in. Play the clock, and build meter in the process. There were several instances I wasn’t aware of the situation and lost because of it.

TL;DR:
Injustice hype, decided to have a friendly set with Crusty and analyze my thought process and see where I can improve. Below are gifs of the highlights:

Some highlights

Crusty Whiff punish

Protagonist Punish with Super

Crusty Whiff punish

Cyborg, Using fireball as a poke

Trip Guard by Crusty

*Thread continually being updated (tired...it's kinda late lol)*

@Crusty Clown

More highlights

Trait Cancel bait I kept falling for by Crusty

Crusty Punish on whiffed fireball

Scramble

Empty jump bait

Another empty jump bait

Punish with Super *Cyborg*

Punish with Super *Sinestro*

Punish with Super *Cyborg*

Last edited:
Missed punishes:

-Sinestro's b1,3 (called Zero Compassion) is -9 on block. Can be punished by Cyborg with 12b2 EX Powerfist for 27% damage, or for more damage with 2 bars 11xBounce cancel (30-40% damage)

Sinestro's Final Shackles special is -26 on block and is full combo punishable up close. I failed to punish this on several occasions

Sinestro's Fear Blast is -22 on block and is full combo punishable up close. If blocked at sweep range, Cyborg can punish with power fist (as with shackles done at sweep range). If blocked in the corner, like the gif below, Cyborg can get up to 40-60% damage into a reset depending if he has 2-4 bars of meter by starting with 113 ex power fist; 12b2 ex power fist; Standing 3 into ex power fist; or raw ex power fist.

...so yeah, I missed out on 40-60% damage below, which would have closed the round

Last edited:

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Cool of you to add the gifs protagonist. Never knew Crusty was as solid as he looks in those gifs, the first whiff punish was on-point.

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Cool of you to add the gifs protagonist. Never knew Crusty was as solid as he looks in those gifs, the first whiff punish was on-point.
I'm criminally underrated.

I'm even surprised at my own reactions

Last edited:

Wetdoba

All too easy...
It also helps that injustice has legit footsies so people can base their gameplans around this sort of stuff, unlike MKX where even a player with very good footsies is going to be forced to fight dumb with dumb

Last edited:
Self-promo:

Look for any matchup knowledge from anyone. I'm on PSN (ps3 though), add me for SM, Zod and maybe Lex matchup knowledge.

I live in the west, so PST time zone. Got work from 9-6 and a physics class from 7:30 to 9

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
For Injustice Im on PC, MKX im on Xbone, but atm I am getting ready for CEO so no Injustice til after that probably
I just realize you live in the same state as me, want to play sometime offline (Injustice)

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
PSN. KingStarGazer. Superman main. Working on WW and MM again. Yes im a total a*** for maining those three. What can I say...they cover my MU's.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
The matchups in this game are so tight. I wish Cyborg had a little more firepower in this MU though.. :(

*the execution in cyborgs zoning is just too high, its a struggle

Last edited: