What's new

Problems rushing down.

Massive Kano

Black Dragon
One thing about me as a fighter game player is that I seem to instinctively gravitate toward a punishment based playstyle. This has been true ever since I started using Guile in SF2 back in 1991.

I want the opponent to come to me and do something unsafe that I can capitalize on. Jump in and get AAed, throw out an unsafe special and eat a combo, etc. I want to sit back in control and get my enjoyment from watching my fool of an opponent craft their own demise.

If you're familiar with the card game Magic: the Gathering, I always, always play blue. That should tell you all you need to know right there.

I run into issues when they refuse to cooperate. In other words, when I play someone else with the same tendencies I have. Matchups with even remotely skilled Noob and Sektor (damn teleport on reaction) players are extremely frustrating for me.

So I need tips. Here are some specific issues I'm having:

1. When I get in close and go to throw out an attack, I almost always seem to eat one myself a split second before mine comes out. Like clockwork. It's annoying as hell. Does this seem to happen to anybody else? And what can I do to work on it? This is even worse against fast mofos like Sonya, of course.

2. I've heard people talk about tick throwing, but I can't figure out how to pull it off with Kano. A tick throw is when you toss out a poke and then throw while the opponent is still in blockstun, no? Because I can't seem to pull this off. There's always seems to be enough of a gap between my poke and my throw for the enemy to retaliate, either with a throw or poke or their own or a really fast special.

3. F+3, B+2 is disappointing me in particular. Again, I'm getting hit myself during the startup for F+3, which seems to take forever. This leads me to overuse B+1, 1, 2, which seems to get blocked most of the time when I'm not using it to punish.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Dude you must be my brother. Everything you said i completely agree on and my favorite SF characters are Charlie/Guile!

1.) This is one of the issue with this game because the CQC is not as fluent as SF's, so basically i keep my distance and abuse b1,1,2 since its safe and pokes
2.)I have the same issue. His move recovery is too damn slow so i dont know how its possible
3.)Same issue

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
1. With Kano, jumping in after a knock down usually is the best way to start your offense up close. The jumping attack should give you enough advantage to go for a normal or a throw. Of course it depends on match-ups but I tend to knife/Kano Ball from a distance until I get a knockdown.

2. For tick throws, you have to condition your opponent to be scared of pressing buttons. Doing things like b112->d1xxChoke or b112->jump in cross up can produce that result. Mixing some up Kano Balls or even dashing back during block strings can also help.

3. I mostly use f3b2 to punish some whiffs, when my opponent starts to think he doesn't need to block low, or when he's not trying to press buttons. Sometimes I pull it out after a d1 as well instead of going for choke.

1. With Kano, jumping in after a knock down usually is the best way to start your offense up close. The jumping attack should give you enough advantage to go for a normal or a throw. Of course it depends on match-ups but I tend to knife/Kano Ball from a distance until I get a knockdown.

2. For tick throws, you have to condition your opponent to be scared of pressing buttons. Doing things like b112->d1xxChoke or b112->jump in cross up can produce that result. Mixing some up Kano Balls or even dashing back during block strings can also help.

3. I mostly use f3b2 to punish some whiffs, when my opponent starts to think he doesn't need to block low, or when he's not trying to press buttons. Sometimes I pull it out after a d1 as well instead of going for choke.
This guy has some good info.

Also Kano's best tick throw is to press b1 and after its blocked mash throw.

You are Kano damn it you run the show. So if a Noob Saibot or Sektor tries to run the show do an airball on his ass. The motion to do an airball over a projectile is uf,db,uf. This just means to jump forward and then roll your thumb all the way around. This will put a ball right in their face and it won't taste good either.

If you insist on rushing down, then identify your opponent, does he have fast normals? if the answer is no rush him down with d1's and strings canceled into upball, if yes then rush him down with d1's and strings canceled into choke. Then after the choke just keep dashing d1 into choke until you think you gotta upball check em.

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
After a blocked Choke, I've noticed that my opponents often look for my dashing into a d1 to keep the pressure. f3b2 often land in that situation since the push back from a blocked Choke leaves the opponent at just about the right range for the tip of f3 to hit. Sometimes they also will try to jump out which pretty means a free Kano Ball against most characters.

When I play Kano my whole rushdown strategy focuses on my opponents wake ups. If I block and punish a wake up (which are usually easy to block) my opponent will start to either get up and block or get up and jump. I like to go in with f3b2 the first time as it tends to catch a lot of people out , and then the next time I go in with an overhead. If they start jumping or doing a not invincible wake up, I can d1 cancel into choke or get lucky with a f3 poke. I often find opponents just sitting in front of me holding block down, as they don´t know what to do. The trick I find with Kano is limit my opponents options and keep them in a guessing game whether I´m going med, low or going to block. Choke and ex down airball\air throw are very handy for this as they guarentee that your opponent will be sitting in front of you.

MagicMan357

Ive gotten my rushdown to be pretty simple

When ever i use the airthrow, i use the advantage to cross someone up, usually even there wake up attack

When in CQC, if they make a mistake or theyre trying to rushdown, choke them before the commands even come out

The biggest thing I've found helps me with my Kano rushdown is the F1,2 string. It doesnt lead into anything, but it causes my opponents to respect me from around sweep distance on the ground. Kano dashes forward with this string, and on block it pushes your opponent back, and on hit seems to put them in a type of hit stun. I like to immediately go in the F3 launcher after this. When its blocked, sometimes I'll go for dash throw, sometimes for an upball, and against aggresive players, on block, I immediately jump up hoping they will try to cross me over and I can land a neutral jump punch.

Now I don't have any frame data for the above, and I play ONLY online, so I don't know how much lag influences this strings success. Hopefully a better Kano player out there can add on to this. But for my money, the F1,2 is a great pressure string.

Outisde of that, throws throws throws throws throws. I use them religiously with Kano. Especially the jump kick/air throw for the untechable knockdown.

The biggest advantage Kano has over almost every other member of the cast, is that he is hated. Non Kano players HATE playing against you. They automatically assume knives and balls all day long. So when you give them the rush down look, it tends to catch them off guard. Run them over like a train.

Again, I'm no superstar, and i only play online, so take my advice with a grain of salt, there are plenty of excellent Kano players here, and hopefully they can give you more solid advice than me. But this stuff works for me, so hopefully it helps you deal out some more punishment, of course, at No Charge.

MagicMan357

The biggest thing I've found helps me with my Kano rushdown is the F1,2 string. It doesnt lead into anything, but it causes my opponents to respect me from around sweep distance on the ground. Kano dashes forward with this string, and on block it pushes your opponent back, and on hit seems to put them in a type of hit stun. I like to immediately go in the F3 launcher after this. When its blocked, sometimes I'll go for dash throw, sometimes for an upball, and against aggresive players, on block, I immediately jump up hoping they will try to cross me over and I can land a neutral jump punch.

Now I don't have any frame data for the above, and I play ONLY online, so I don't know how much lag influences this strings success. Hopefully a better Kano player out there can add on to this. But for my money, the F1,2 is a great pressure string.

Outisde of that, throws throws throws throws throws. I use them religiously with Kano. Especially the jump kick/air throw for the untechable knockdown.

The biggest advantage Kano has over almost every other member of the cast, is that he is hated. Non Kano players HATE playing against you. They automatically assume knives and balls all day long. So when you give them the rush down look, it tends to catch them off guard. Run them over like a train.

Again, I'm no superstar, and i only play online, so take my advice with a grain of salt, there are plenty of excellent Kano players here, and hopefully they can give you more solid advice than me. But this stuff works for me, so hopefully it helps you deal out some more punishment, of course, at No Charge.
You need to play offline more,online gives you bad habits

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
kano's best rushdown tool is easily his b1. closes space, hits crouching opponents, leads to combos, and b112 leaves kano at a bit of advantage. poke that ass with b1 and mix it up with f3b2 and throws. like someone said earlier: the key to an effective kano rushdown is scaring the opponent into not pressing shit. the simplest way to shut an opponent down initially is to b112 [blocked] d1, which, if the opponent does anything other than block, will always hit. choke is okay for pressure but doesn't give kano the best oki so i don't advise trying to use it a whole lot... but then again, who the hell am i? ^_^

Ludogg

Noob
kano's best rushdown tool is easily his b1. closes space, hits crouching opponents, leads to combos, and b112 leaves kano at a bit of advantage. poke that ass with b1 and mix it up with f3b2 and throws. like someone said earlier: the key to an effective kano rushdown is scaring the opponent into not pressing shit. the simplest way to shut an opponent down initially is to b112 [blocked] d1, which, if the opponent does anything other than block, will always hit. choke is okay for pressure but doesn't give kano the best oki so i don't advise trying to use it a whole lot... but then again, who the hell am i? ^_^
i also follow up a blocked b112 with an upball, you can condition them to block then go for the grab then after they see that you will do either it is then a guessing game or block or attack!

MagicMan357

i also follow up a blocked b112 with an upball, you can condition them to block then go for the grab then after they see that you will do either it is then a guessing game or block or attack!
Instead of upball i throw a choke, its safe and cancels out their attacks

you can be poked out of this, so d1 then cancel into a special.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
You guys are dead on about the Kano hatred. I always played a rush down Kano, and that threw people off like no tomorrow. They expected nothing from me but knives and up balls. I do wish his combos were scaled better, he's a fun character with options, but man...his combos are piss. But, I suppose that's the sacrifice for the x-ray and good zoning, with moderate rushdown capability.

Anyways, it's nice to see that there's more discussion about him. I may give these suggestions a shot.

AIBOSTON

Don't be mad!
Kano....all knives and balls....He turned out to be a real d**k didnt he? But hes nothing I cant handle with Mileena.