What's new

Probably the most important vid on mk11 from K&M

CG Nino

Noob
This vid is probably the single most important info on how mk11 will play.

Absolutely crucial to how you're gonna be doing your punishes combos and major dmg.

This adds a ton of strategy layers potentially, the only fear I would have is some chars having very accessible CB's like baraka and another having maybe 2 that are real and 3 that are unrealistic to do.

This may show strength of char based on how accessible these CBs are to them. Hopefully chars who cant easily access these huge boons in dmg and combo extensions have more tools to help balancing. These are definitely going to be crucial to how you make decisions in time to use them on top of how you get your max punishes etc.

Last edited:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
It is interesting that the CB seem to be linked to punishes. The entire game is so focused on high level footsies and stuff.. the back walk, trip guards, the parry. Now it seems that CB is basically a combo punish.

CG Nino

Noob
It is interesting that the CB seem to be linked to punishes. The entire game is so focused on high level footsies and stuff.. the back walk, trip guards, the parry. Now it seems that CB is basically a combo punish.
The Key is how varied they will be by char, the fact a punish doesn't need to start with the input allows for major neutral to punish the random things even more. If you wanna take a risk and do that unsafe slide you can def die for it lol. The parry making things punishable that are usually safe etc for example now adds even more skill ceiling to this.

Barakas seem to be more punish based where scorps is def more balanced. This can be a major major key in balancing and how they can tweak chars potential. If you are playing safe vs baraka you are limiting his dmg, but that also allows him to play a little more free in the mind games knowing you are scared. You can trigger multiple and KILL someone lol.

Geras has some linked to his 5050 as 16 bit said. So he may not be able to punish as hard but he has a greater knockdown threat tool in his bag you must be mindful for. This will def shape the chars playstyle and potential almost if not more then their actual variation loadouts.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
yeah... I think this game just seems like it is designed for really high level play. I can't wait to see how the pros start to run it.

A pretty good mechanic, from the description... Particularly due to the control the button-check option gives the player -- allowing for low level players to experience the gore; albeit, without the reward of being in full control of it. Kind of like driving manual versus automatic transmission.

Next, I'd like to see a deeper explication and exhibition of the "Flawless Block" system...

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
Certainly this game will take 4 years of mine. I will be very busy with MK11 in 2019 to 2023. About KB, most of people crying out that those KB moves takes too much damage stupidly but this video tells us that KB moves are not very easy to perform, there gonna be rules and depends on your fighting style. I love it, iiiiii looooove iitttt..

Doctor Future

Baraka Lives!
I literally dusted off my account (haven’t posted here over a year) just to comment on this topic. Lol.

So a few things: I love love love CB! I think this addition coupled with Fatal Blows will make this game more of skill vs. mindless 50/50s to get damage and open people up.

I see each character has different requirements to meet their specific CB. I believe since Baraka only really gets combos off his amplified gutted move, now has more potential off his 1,2,2 (based on video) and does DOT as well. Soooo good.

Lastly I see CBs really shining since you can only do one per match (each character has multiple ones) making when you actually perform them much more situational. Like not performing the DOT ones until the close out final round, or Scorpions double kick string special cancelable when you may be trying to extend a certain combo.

All in all I’m excited. I know some people worry about this, but from just the initial thoughts, they look promising and make me excited to see more of them and what they can do down the road!

Also, hello everyone! (I’m glad to be back! :)

CG Nino

Noob
Its extremely smart. I believe the "punish" parameter applies to whiff punish as well not just unsafe ob things. Also for trip guard etc. This makes baraka footsie monster w a great fb game. Really really wanna see parameters for everyone now. Its extremely well implemented for him as a design choice.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I'm not sure I like the fact that the requirements are so different per character. Baraka's are basically all activated via just punishing something (super easy) and scorpions are a bit more difficult.

Doctor Future

Baraka Lives!
I'm not sure I like the fact that the requirements are so different per character. Baraka's are basically all activated via just punishing something (super easy) and scorpions are a bit more difficult.
I don’t think Scorpion’s are difficult. The only challenging one I could see are the 10-hit combo CB one and the full screen spear one solely because it’s not as common connecting a spear full screen.

CG Nino

Noob
This is where the design choices come into play. If you really look at possibities baraka is defined in a more simple manner. He has less combo potential and crazy abilities (in theory) but they make what he does do well at super strong, whiff punish and fbs.

His mixup game likely lacks to make up for this and he cant get the dmg as easily otherwise (seemingly)

Scorpion on the other hand has way more tricks ( restands, strings w high lows, tp) and his parameters are more varied. This gives him a more freestyle approach to making strategys then baraka would.

Neither are bad they are just different and its good game design imo. The only fear is some chars will def have weak tools compared to the cast and if they dont have really well designed crush blows they will be weak but thats up to balance and design.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I don’t think Scorpion’s are difficult. The only challenging one I could see are the 10-hit combo CB one and the full screen spear one solely because it’s not as common connecting a spear full screen.
That's true, but what I'm getting at is... let's say whoever you wanted to main had all their CBs being things like full screen spears. That'd be kinda shit.

You're missing out on the extra damaging mechanics all because you wanted to play so and so.

This is where the design choices come into play. If you really look at possibities baraka is defined in a more simple manner. He has less combo potential and crazy abilities (in theory) but they make what he does do well at super strong, whiff punish and fbs.

His mixup game likely lacks to make up for this and he cant get the dmg as easily otherwise (seemingly)

Scorpion on the other hand has way more tricks ( restands, strings w high lows, tp) and his parameters are more varied. This gives him a more freestyle approach to making strategys then baraka would.

Neither are bad they are just different and its good game design imo. The only fear is some chars will def have weak tools compared to the cast and if they dont have really well designed crush blows they will be weak but thats up to balance and design.
No, that definitely makes sense and I'm all for it if it's actually balanced well.

CG Nino

Noob
That's true, but what I'm getting at is... let's say whoever you wanted to main had all their CBs being things like full screen spears. That'd be kinda shit.

You're missing out on the extra damaging mechanics all because you wanted to play so and so.
This would mean that you are playing a char not designed to be played a certain way. It may work but you are going against a more intended design philo. Obv scorps not all full screen but if you played dhalsim he would be designed w full screen crush blows for example and you wouldnt want it any other way. The crush blows need to be thought of like a special move would in determining a chars kit and analyzing strats to use the char

Lets just hope they allow us to be creative and not pidgeon holed fully. That of course isnt fun. It is smart to make chars excel at something like they did here w baraka though rather then make him a 3 specials chop move triggers it etc as it seems harder to do often in combos and would be done randomly etc.

Like I said. I fully expect some chars paramaters to be jacked (its nrs lol) and that will def hurt the viability if they dont give the char many tools to make up for it. But luckily this can be patched to trigger more in line w their kits later if need be hopefully.

Last edited:

Doctor Future

Baraka Lives!

I gotcha. Well here’s hoping they are all full easy to do. Lol

Samsara

Resident Cynic
The system seems near perfect in theory and I like how freeform it is.

Least now ppl on the 'mk11 has no combos' frame of mind can see the offensive potential CBs provide.

CG Nino

Noob
The system seems near perfect in theory and I like how freeform it is.

Least now ppl on the 'mk11 has no combos' frame of mind can see the offensive potential CBs provide.
I definitely imagine theres gonna be rush down chars that have them loaded on the frame traps, mixup portion as cbs. This will accentuate those chars to be even scarier when they DO get in and likely hurt you really bad for it.

Zoners with more projectile based ones etc. It just amplifys a portion of the char. Less so weaknesses and more so common tools. Scorps spear working full screen is clearly intended to help him when someone is pew pew all the time vs him. It allows him a big punish for read at least once to turn the match back towards him.

This lends to him being imo a "all rounder" archetype w a twist from traditional fgs. At least on paper

gitblame

Noob
Woah. This is super interesting. I love the fact you can have control when you will activate Krushing Blow. I can't wait what we will find drugin game's lifespan.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Thanks for posting this!

I like the Krushing Blows in this. Considering X-Ray moves aren't really a thing anymore, it's cool to see elements of it in other places. And it brings a cool twist to the gameplay, makes it more strategic and looks great as well! I know a lot of people don't like cinematic slowdowns in fighting games, but I like it if it's done well, and I think this is indeed done well! There might be a good handful of them, but because each one can only be done once per match, I think it's a fine balance so we don't see it happening every single time someone does a specific move. :p

CG Nino

Noob
Thanks for posting this!

I like the Krushing Blows in this. Considering X-Ray moves aren't really a thing anymore, it's cool to see elements of it in other places. And it brings a cool twist to the gameplay, makes it more strategic and looks great as well! I know a lot of people don't like cinematic slowdowns in fighting games, but I like it if it's done well, and I think this is indeed done well! There might be a good handful of them, but because each one can only be done once per match, I think it's a fine balance so we don't see it happening every single time someone does a specific move. :p
Tbh I thought it was the dumbest sounding thing I ever heard when watching the reveal. It was mainly 16bits way he was explaining how they worked, now that I understand the direction of them seems to correlate with the chars and are def situations that will occur often I think the depth and strategies will be great. Its another skill and knowledge check for offline matches and will be huge mindgames in the higher levels. Its great on paper.

JDM

Noob
There's definitely a posssibility characters could live or die by their KBs. Same as lethal hits in SC, certain ones are very powerful and others are barely ever used. However I do think mks KBs are much more likely to be balanced due to the fact that they are once per game and there isn't arbitrary 3D mechanics shoehorned into requirements

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
  • Counter hit requirements ✓
  • Distance requirements ✓
  • Do move X times in a match ?
  • Taking more damage for guessing wrong on a throw 50/50 X
These might be good if they're tailored to how the archetype of how the character wants to play. If the requirements are seemingly arbitrary than it's unga. I hope it's the former and they actually open mid-match strategies and not just be something that happens every once in a while that you don't play around or think about.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
Taking more damage for guessing wrong on a throw 50/50 X
You're gonna take the throw and be happy for it so you don't lose 30% lol
That makes throws in the game absolutely terrifying and I love that. Do I risk teching at all or do I just take the damage?
Think about a stage 3 venom Bane hitting a Krush on a bad throw guess. Fucking annihilated

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
You're gonna take the throw and be happy for it so you don't lose 30% lol
That makes throws in the game absolutely terrifying and I love that. Do I risk teching at all or do I just take the damage?
If you actually have the foresight and reaction to tech a throw you are punished if you guess wrong arbitrarily without increasing the reward for teching in any way, and if you decide to sit there and not tech he'll always still have the threat of bonus damage while you continue eating throws and conditions you not to react. IE you get punished for making a good play.

CG Nino

Noob
If you actually have the foresight and reaction to tech a throw you are punished if you guess wrong arbitrarily without increasing the reward for teching in any way, and if you decide to sit there and not tech he'll always still have the threat of bonus damage while you continue eating throws and conditions you not to react. IE you get punished for making a good play.
The cammy meta is back! And yes this design is def built in for mind games. You may be better off getting it out of the way early because the pressure end of game with it will be intense. Im not a HUGE fan of the 5050 tech tbh as is so I dont exaclty like this but hopefully its not as much dmg come launch for this one in particular. The rest of the chars so far def have intended designs from what we can see. I hope we get all the kbs for all chars revealed and listed soon during the kombat kasts. Also hope its in game move list for easier test and t mode stuff.