What's new

Pro Tour doesn't Pay Top Players, I'll Explain:

Many have probably seen East Coast Throwdown placings and cash out bracket by now.
One of the best players in the world Rewind placed 5th in a stacked tournament and showed us serious tech. He only got $350, guess that's better than when Foxy got a FN Hoodie for spending thousands to travel in MK11.
The problem started when WB took over Mortal Kombat.
The way this got fixed was Pro Comp Funding skins. In MKX they released a Blue Steel Sub Zero skin that funded Tournament Prize Pools for Top 8 and it only cost $2 and doubled their tourney winnings making the Majors profitable to travel to majors from NA or worse across the pond like Foxy Grandpa.
This is a huge problem because several 2%ers of MK will not be attending Mortal Kombat 1 Pro Tour Majors because it's extremely costly to compete against SonicFox/Xombat/Ninjakilla that will almost always take up 1st-3rd.

This means the top 30 players in the world won't be attending majors many of whole have to travel across the world to compete. None of these pros even have sponsorships that pay their way. It's coming out of their pockets while they are working 9-5 jobs and using their little free time off to lab up everything and put in work staying 2%ers.
What this means is New Up and Coming players that could contend with Sonic/Ninja/Dragon/Xombat/Rewind
Simply won't be able to put in the full day effort to be a Top Player and live off being one of the best in the world.
We are not even talking about one time wonders who occasionally place Top 8, we are talking players that consistently place Top 5 not even making their plane ticket back.

If you don't believe me here is a video saying the same thing as me from "A F0xy Grampa"

Foxy says even pros like him are forced to skip majors and do YouTube content instead. But other great players that do well in sets vs top players like Honeybee or Xombat simply don't have a shot at making a living doing MK1 because they don't have EVOs and multiple Majors under their belt.

The problem is WB not NRS and this is mirrored by multiple Top players.
They are going to make a Pro Tour set of Top 16 funding Skins or other IGC or Majors will not represent the best of the best. Hopefully pros won't walk away.
I also believe they won't make these skins unless 50% of profits goes to WB or players buy the overpriced IGC so WB has ongoing funding for the future of MK1. As it stands they made money from initial sales of MK1 + KP1 but that's it other than the $10 Fatality and the Dragon Crystal Skins in game.
That's not it either, this will effect future game balancing and how dedicated the WB overlords are to competitive balancing, buffing characters who need it and removing broke resets out, fixing all the Bugs/Glitches that still exist as well as more QOL changes to come.
They won't green light huge teams to put months of work into balancing and game fixes, online improvement if they are not profitable on their investment.

I think Skins are the best solution as long as the community starts realizing they will have to buy the overpriced IGC. I think the Fatality should've been $5 or less but here we are.
We have Kameos Variations Koming Soon, more DLC characters and Kameos. This can be a 10/10 if the funding is there. They have the high level players on QC to help balancing, it's possible.

After listening to several top players opinions on this I believe, those of us who want to become the next Rewind/Tweedy/TekkenMaster will be putting a ton of money down to do so.
You have to do a YouTube channel with guides, streamed sets and find games with high profile names.
You won't have the clout to get 50-200K followers without placing.
Looks like players like Foxy, Honeybee, Dragon, Rewind will be entering $1000-$5000 locals instead of Majors until something changes. That is a way for the rest of us to get known, improve/get gud.

What's TYM think of this issue,
and most importantly, what's your solution?

Immortal

Blind justice....
There is no solution beside outside founding.

Pro Komp for MK1 is a joke which is what i was expecting when they announced it on TT and we have a thread about it here. Reason for this is simple - casuals don't travel or more importantly care about competitive offline events. In turn WB see no profit in putting money for it. As years passed PR, marketing etc.. of NRS games done by WB is more and more towards casuals and less and less towards competitive players. This will not change, coz MK games are made and bought 99% by casual players.

And no, viewership numbers of these tournaments means nothing for WB, they can make 10x the sales from casuals with 1 trailer featuring Megan Fox lol. Sad but true. It's smart from bussines standpoint and i see no reason for them to change their strategy.

Last edited: