What's new

Strategy Preferred Raven Stage

Obanye

Obanye - Bay Area - PSN
Hey everyone,

We should probably discuss what is the optimal stage for Raven to select in a 50/50 situation. I agree with the Aris mentality that you should think of the stage you select as an extension of your character. Personally I am a big fan of the Watchtower stage. Reasons below:

1. Its one of the stages where gadget characters have a nice intractable to throw (the metal flying thingies)

2. Using soul crush it is easy to keep the opponent away from the flying things and punish, however at the right ranges it can be hard for some characters to avoid them.

3. f222 string at the end of a combo puts people in the perfect position for a meaty interactable throw

4. On the left side of the screen you can use the jet to punish people and escape the corner to reset zoning game. You can soul crush and after it is blocked if they dash in you can use the interactable which is unblockable

I personally dislike Aquarium against gadget characters since they can slide around the top and get in easily.

Anyway what are your favorite Raven stages?

Urichinan

@Urichinan
Hall of Justice is extremely good for Raven, I think.

The respawning robot is a really good tool for Raven, as she can use it to force half/fullscreen unblockables using Soul Crush/Singularity/Pillar, and if you aren't doing anything when it hits, you can get a full combo off of a meter burned special from half/fullscreen. It covers a lot of her holes in pressure and zoning, can be used in resets, greatly increases her oki potential, and can force the opponent to jump, which gives her free combos. I honestly think it's one of the strongest stages you could choose for her, based solely on this interactable. Though that doesn't mean she doesn't get other benefits from this stage too though, like being able to move around easily with the wall interactables, and being able to extend her combos using the background bounce. (Background bounce is super important for being able to convert stray hits without meter for Raven)

Another that is great for her is the Asylum stages, pig is fantastic, she has things to throw, she can move easily using the interactables, and on the other level she gets great air options from dive kicks, and good corner lockdown with the freezing pipe.

Reactions: PPJ

Obanye

Obanye - Bay Area - PSN
I'm a fan of learning how to play any stage.
Of course, but if you are in a tournament and you have a chance to pick a stage that is advantageous to you, it doesn't make much sense not to pick the optimal stage for your character. I gotta check out hall of justice, but honestly I hate the slow startup on those ground robots. I usually get blown up for going for them, they are pretty jumpable near midish range, unlike the flying robot thingies.

Urichinan

@Urichinan
Of course, but if you are in a tournament and you have a chance to pick a stage that is advantageous to you, it doesn't make much sense not to pick the optimal stage for your character. I gotta check out hall of justice, but honestly I hate the slow startup on those ground robots. I usually get blown up for going for them, they are pretty jumpable near midish range, unlike the flying robot thingies.
It's best to special cancel into them, or use them after a knockdown, you can also use them as a reset after a DS Singularity. You can't just throw them out at neutral, as with most interactables. Also, jumping can be blown up for free, since you can anti-air them with Singularity and Soul Crush for attempting to escape.

I can maybe make a tech video about all of the setups she has on this stage, if people would be interested in that.

Obanye

Obanye - Bay Area - PSN
It's best to special cancel into them, or use them after a knockdown, you can also use them as a reset after a DS Singularity. You can't just throw them out at neutral, as with most interactables. Also, jumping can be blown up for free, since you can anti-air them with Singularity and Soul Crush for attempting to escape.

I can maybe make a tech video about all of the setups she has on this stage, if people would be interested in that.

Hell ya! I would definitely be interested. Yeah, for sure I am going to hit the lab on Hall of Justice and check some of this out.

asylum mess hall. you can throw both stone heads like a power character and teleport around to abuse the hell out of the pig.

Urichinan

@Urichinan
Been working on some Hall of Justice tech for the video, and I've found some killer stuff.

After a f2,2,2 knockdown into an interactable, you can negate ALL of Killer Frost's wake-up options, and punish her for full combos.

Activating the robot and jumping forward will cause all of her wake-up attacks to whiff, leaving her at a disadvantage, and free to be punished. If she decides just to roll and block, then the robot will tag her. If she jumps you can AA her, and if she late jumps then the robot will catch her on the way up. Because of the range you're at, armored 3 attacks also don't reach you. If she manage to escape the robot's explosion, you are still sitting at half-screen, ready to zone and poke.

I'm playing around with this against all of the other characters, and so far it seems she can negate everyone's wake-up options in some way, where it be through jumping, standing still, or just blocking their wake-up attacks.

The robot is what makes all of this so good though, not only are you able to negate wake-up options, but they have to try and deal with an unblockable projectile launcher that leads to full combos.

There's going to be a whole lot going into this video. ;)

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
alley, control the dumpster along with stupid zoning and teleport near it. Punish enemy for even thinking about destroying that thing with a grabbity squeez

Ratchet-Fabulous

#TeamTwirl
I personally dislike Aquarium against gadget characters since they can slide around the top and get in easily.
That's why you fight a hoe so you can use the interactable first.

I would say for any small character, Aquarium would be the best. You can get away from rushdown characters, and get in on zoners.

Soulful Nigma

Black Fenrir
Wayne manor/Great room is my favorite stage for her. In general its a pretty balanced stage for the whole cast, but for Raven I feel that her space control and mobility is enhanced here. As usual her special moves make the opponent think twice about using an interactible. She can use the chandelier for movement and spacing. This puts her just a backdash away from the chair/piano. When cornered, Jumping off the interactibles at the walls put her right next to the chair/piano. Plus... the music is great here. Also... Atlantis

Wawa

Noob
Atlantis is my map of choice. It's a very simple map and makes the matches pretty honest.

I personally don't like interactables much just because my character does not have good interaction with them. This is why I like Atlantis. There's only 2 throwable interactables and corner interactables which actually favors me because I can use it over and over again.

The throwable interactables are easy to scout as well. There's enough time for me to react whenever they are going for it. I can either do a squeeze or just jump it. The timings are pretty easy to get.

Sami

Noob
I might be like a month behind the curve here, but I just accidentally discovered you can travel on the Atlantis rail/tube thing after a high-enough jump-in attack. Can see some potential in ending a combo with a jump-in kick and sliding away from the opponent to get some serious distance.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Anything with respawning interactables is really good for Raven. If you know the player is very interactable happy, this becomes a ball park for the Raven.

Obanye

Obanye - Bay Area - PSN
I'm at the point where I think if you are not picking watchtower, ferris aircraft, or hall of justice you are simply not playing your character to its full potential.

I'm a big fan of Atlantis. It's symmetrical, so either corner works; there are few interactives for other characters to use; once you're in the corner, it's easy to zone the opponent out; and Raven has a suite of abilities for stealing the corner from your opponent if they're currently abusing it.

Obanye

Obanye - Bay Area - PSN
So Atlantis . The corner interactables for gadget characters are high( just duck) but mid and full screen for power characters . Definitely don't play a power or gadget character( pipes negate zoning ) in this stage.... Wait that's everyone. Don't fucking play this stage unless you have some fucked up view of "fair" . LTP.