What's new

General/Other - Quan Chi Predicting Quan Chi:Trailer and Moveset Breakdown+Analysis

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
Here's my personal analysis of the trailer and Quan Chi himself, if I miss anything important or I'm horribly mistaken please feel free to correct me.

First Impressions:
Netherealm Stufios has done it again and, in my opinion, immaculately. The redesign of Quan Chi flawlessly shows off his moveset, potential and really flaunts him as a character altogether. The character itself was highly expected to appear in MKX but wasn't really anticipated widely, but now...I think half the community who check the MKX threads on a regular basis are at war inside on whether they should play this character as a main or secondary(myself included)...
General Moves:
  • Trance(EX option available): Woolay! This move is likely to be unsafe but with great range and can allow for higher damaging combos. The ex option has a faster startup and possibly enchants them for a longer period of time.
  • Teleport Stomp(EX option available): the good old move we all loved online is back and improved! The optional EX now causes Quan Chi to Ravage their face on the floor for increased damage.
  • Straight and Air Skull: standard projectiles that are making a return from MK9, not much is new except from the air projectile(shades of sindel), they were very ingrained in Quan Chi over the MK series and it's no surprise they'd feature in MKX.
  • A damaging rune(may or may not track): this will be his main zoning tool due to its incredibly fast startup and potential for juggles when EXed, it's very remenicent of MMH's pillars and is likely to have 4 variations as to allow him zone opponents situated anywhere on screen.
Sorceror/Quan Chi:
'Can cast magical spells that augment self or cripple opponent'. These spells include:
  • A projectile invulnerable rune that starts off where Quan Chi is and doesn't move, it's effects may or may not negate damage however cause 0 stun on Quan Chi. An ideal tool for a counter zoning build however has a long startup and therefore punishable if used inappropriately.
  • A special enhancing rune: the visual difference is that his moves now glow with a purple aura instead of a green one, the buffs are currently unknown however my guess is a damage buff to his straight skull and air skull projectiles(could range from being high to a mid, increase frame advantage or General hitbox). Intresetingly, when the skulls hit the opponent in the buffed state it caused a purple orb to appear at the opponent's head which looks like a debuff to them or a damage-over-time effect.

This appears to be his zoning oriented variation, it's multitude of anti-zoning tools accompanied with buffs to specials (which aren't particularly offensive close up) could give him the edge in mid-full screen combat. Despite the buffs, it's very possible that they only work whilst Quan Chi is standing on top of the enchantment location, this means that characters with advancing normals or powerful rush down games could give him trouble up close.

Warlock/Quan Chi:
'Can conjure portals which add additional attacks'. This variation is more offensive than the others, it focuses on his up-close game with the addition of:
  • The low grab which grants Juggles When used to start combos or mid-combo provided you burn a bar. It begins as a low hitting from(or so it appears to) and hence improves his infamous mixup game. Again it's made evident they are taking inspiration from martian manhunter's moveset from Injustice.
  • His behind portal grab seems to track and hit high or overhead, it's great for those players who will never want to come to you and make him more effective against runaway builds or zoners.
  • Next is his standing portal grab where he pushes the opponent into a portal on the ground rendering them to fall again from the air portal where Quan Chi strikes again using a magical chest attack. This move looks awesome and could be used a combo ender.
  • Various sword attacks are granted to Quan Chi also. These vary from his portal stab of the sword(with optional EX for more damage) to sword related normals. Since he didn't put his sword to much use in MK9 it's awesome to see it have several new and outright badass uses this time around.

Quan Chi's Warlock variation will counter runaway characters and provide him with more damaging combos, despite this though, it does look like he'd be vulnerable to punishes often if any of these portal attacks whiff. This of course is not set in stone, it's just my personal worry for this build, nevertheless this is a formidable and balanced variation in itself.

Summoner/Quan Chi:
Adds 'the ability to summon a Netherealm Bat' aka: ZOD'S BACK BABY!!! This bat itself is a fearsome tool which offers Quan Chi it's service for a limited time. It's array of moves include:
  • Vampire Bite: this move renders Quan chi immobile as he orders his pet to feast. The attack looks like an overhead that knocks them down afterwards for what could be a great combo ender. Unfortunately it's impossible to convert off as Quan Chi just stands there, arms crossed but chaoticly entertained by their demise.
  • Swooping Bat: the bat dives at great speed to catch your legs with a low attack. Quan Chi is completely unaffected by this move(unlike the bite) and he can probably convert off this move in the corner.
  • Unholy fire: the bat spits fire at the opponent which can be used in combos and seems to track. Probably a high damaging projectile that hits overhead.

Summoner Quan Chi is a limited variation, he isn't always able to access it's primary tool but when he can Quan Chi dominates. All of the bats attacks seems to caused the bat to leave ,in the trailer,so it's probably best used at the end of combos or as a mind game. To me this is definitely his in between variation which balances rushdown with zoning tools.

The Verdict:
Overall I'm fascinated by how they redid him. His intro, his x-Ray and fatality and his new more armoured look just scream badass to me and I'll be playing him as a co-main with Raiden or even main him alone. I'm so glad they've used up the next character slot effectively and will be looking forward keenly for more Quan Chi related news.

Thank you for feedback/5 minutes wasted:)

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
All i know that Woolay got upgraded into japanese now (and that looks like Carlos Pesina's motion)

Also, that X-Ray Music was dope, hopefully we got it in every stage everytime it happens.

The damage circle Enhancement we call it "Rune"

Great review btw, nothing further to add :)

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
All i know that Woolay got upgraded into japanese now (and that looks like Carlos Pesina's motion)

Also, that X-Ray Music was dope, hopefully we got it in every stage everytime it happens.

The damage circle Enhancement we call it "Rune"

Great review btw, nothing further to add :)
i knew there was a word for it lol, I just couldn't remember it lol

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
his eyes are too bright

his x-ray is the BEST ONE YET. (aside from Raiden's)

and as someone else mentioned... he's got Sindel's fireballs... even the jumping one.

mfkaoz

Banned
Rich homie quan has been my favorite mk character ever since I saw him rip a guy's leg off and beat him to death with it in MK4. I'm beyond hype. He looks really fucking good, I know its waaaaaaay too early to decide but with all the tools we've seen so far we could possibly be looking at a top 10-15 character here.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
1:54 looks like a low, overhead, high launcher. So far, I'm liking the warlock variation the most. It's hard to predict how command throws are going to define a character in MK for the general lack of true grapplers.

Have to say he seems like one of the best movesets yet, with some really varied playstyle options. A lot's going to hinge on if portals are grabs or "attacks" though.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
BM-T is pleased, he co-mained Quan Chi in MK9, his face yesterday when i showed him the reveal trailer, he got in love with the warlock variation right away.

insignis

Noob
I played Quan Chi and in a hurry to share the information.

General Moves:
  • Trance - lesser range, longer start up, lasts less, biiiiiiiiig disatvantage on block.
  • Teleport Stomp - works terrible in current build and can be beaten with ANY move like jabs, d2, jump punchs etc.
  • Straight and Air Skull - just a simple projectile.
  • A damaging rune - doesn't track, has close/mid/far versions. Regular version knockdowns, EX versions launches.
Warlock:

• df2 - portal grab which is high and blockable. EX version - portal stab which is mid. Didn't check if it's unblockable and if it is possible to hit opponent after the hit as he falls - it's possible as start-up is too damn slow.
  • f3 - mid normal move which hits through portal full screen and has big disadventage on block and knockdowns on hit
  • 212+4 - warlock only string
  • 211+3 - warlock only string. Can't be meter burned to create a portal in the end and start a juggle (you can see it in the trailer where he punches 2 times, then low grabs opponent and throws him in a portal
Summoner:

• db3 - summons a bat
  • df3 - sends the bat to GRAB opponent which is unblockable but high and doesn't track so can be jumped over
  • L2(on PS)/BL2/FL2 - don't remember exactly which for what but they are for shooting fireball, flying low and fast AA in a sweep distance
Bat will dissapear after few seconds, after usage or if Quan was hit.

Last edited:

babalook

Noob
if you can summon the bat after trance on hit and still get an attack in before (or still be at enough advantage to force them to block) the trance ends....he's gunna have some crazy mixups. Also, having bat out and using it to make trance on block/whiff safe is guna be crazy.

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
if you can summon the bat after trance on hit and still get an attack in before (or still be at enough advantage to force them to block) the trance ends....he's gunna have some crazy mixups. Also, having bat out and using it to make trance on block/whiff safe is guna be crazy.
That would be awesome, Im hoping he'll have the ability to cancel into bat for some ridiculous mixups.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
It seems to me, in his sorcerer variation, when he casts one of his buff spells they are locked to that specific position on the map. It seemed as if he didn't want to move from the aura, both times he casted them. So possibly they could require you to be in the correct range for them to affect you?