What's new

Match-up Discussion Pre-Evo 2014 Aquaman MU Chart

Syknis

King of the Kiddie Pool
What would you change?
I just can't see batman in the 7-3 list with the likes of ares :( lol doesn't feel right. I play mattix offline for the DS experience and I think aqua has a slight advantage in footsie tools midscreen. I know deathstrokes corner game is gdlk vs aqua but still. Lex might win 6-4. His trait comes back faster than aquas and theres this deadzone where aqua can't do much to stop lex from advancing. It's a really weird mu. Shazam just needs one knockdown and youre put in the blender. It's not fun playing Digit

EMPEROR_THEO

I only use characters with wakeup scoops.
I just can't see batman in the 7-3 list with the likes of ares :( lol doesn't feel right. I play mattix offline for the DS experience and I think aqua has a slight advantage in footsie tools midscreen. I know deathstrokes corner game is gdlk vs aqua but still. Lex might win 6-4. His trait comes back faster than aquas and theres this deadzone where aqua can't do much to stop lex from advancing. It's a really weird mu. Shazam just needs one knockdown and youre put in the blender. It's not fun playing Digit
I need to play Digit more and I need to start playing Revolver to come to a clear conclusion on those. 5-5 vs Lex is a fair compromise IMO. I played Digit some at SCR and even though being put in the blender is never fun, Aquaman still has the FTD keepaway advantage as well as an ideal punish for torpedo. He needs to play the turtle game where he tries to react to dashins with B12 as well.

I think 5-5 vs DS is a fair compromise as well. His knockdown game is too much of a gamechanger.

Syknis

King of the Kiddie Pool
I need to play Digit more and I need to start playing Revolver to come to a clear conclusion on those. 5-5 vs Lex is a fair compromise IMO. I played Digit some at SCR and even though being put in the blender is never fun, Aquaman still has the FTD keepaway advantage as well as an ideal punish for torpedo. He needs to play the turtle game where he tries to react to dashins with B12 as well.

I think 5-5 vs DS is a fair compromise as well. His knockdown game is too much of a gamechanger.
Not being able to pressure someone on knockdown is huge. Having to guess right after aqua gets knocked also sucks. Digit mained shazam since day 1 so he's no slouch when it comes to his b2 spacing and pressure.

EMPEROR_THEO

Not being able to pressure someone on knockdown is huge. Having to guess right after aqua gets knocked also sucks. Digit mained shazam since day 1 so he's no slouch when it comes to his b2 spacing and pressure.
You definitely can't pressure Shazam on knockdown but you can utilize FTD to read a teleport on wakeup, given that you're out of his HM punish range.

If you have elephant-sized balls, you can duck on his wakeup to punish a wakeup HM too, which would still keep you in range to do something to him if he does wakeup teleport anyway. Given that your balls are so big, they have their own ecosystem.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Quick question. can shazam command grab aqua outta wake up aqua shield? If not what's stoppin aqua from jus wakin up aqua shield?

EMPEROR_THEO

Quick question. can shazam command grab aqua outta wake up aqua shield? If not what's stoppin aqua from jus wakin up aqua shield?
He can't command grab the watershield itself but wakeup watershield has no invincibility frames from what I know of. So Shazam can time his command grab to stuff him out of it on wakeup.

Syknis

King of the Kiddie Pool
You definitely can't pressure Shazam on knockdown but you can utilize FTD to read a teleport on wakeup, given that you're out of his HM punish range.

If you have elephant-sized balls, you can duck on his wakeup to punish a wakeup HM too, which would still keep you in range to do something to him if he does wakeup teleport anyway. Given that your balls are so big, they have their own ecosystem.
Lmaoooooo

you can't tell me shazam isn't atleast close to 6-4 aqua, shazam doesn't have the tools to get in and aqua is uber cheap in general. that being said shazam is a goblin on knockdown. the general strategy for shazam is to do nothing and wait for him to kill himself and open himself up and just react to what he does, aqua is the perfect character for his. can he reversal trident rush with command grab?

i feel martian has an advantage vs aqua also, he's just a better version of aqua.

aquaman has almost no drawbacks

his 5 best normals/footsie tools are better than some characters best normals
great mixups and some pressure
guaranteed damage without tons of risk against most of the cast every time he touches you even if its just a poke
his d2 shuts down both dashing and jumps and can be cancelled into trident rush
a good jump normal but he doesn't need to jump
he can't be zoned easily, especially by most characters, meaning you often have to come to him and his normals and down are insanely good for keep away, because he has a tracking full screen anti-air which leads to 20 percent atleast
when you do get in, his trait stops you from comboing him, also allowing for him to do hard to react mixups which would be normally unsane (i.e f1lowscopp and f13)
along with that he has water shield for some reason, which is really interesting and has plenty of uses and i am not sure why he has it.
low scoop is multi-hit
he has little to no execution barrier

his only weakness is a subpar wakeup game

but why play aquaman when you can just play martian when martian does most things better. and does more things like zone extreemely well and have aerial mobility and free interactables and punish interactables.

what about low scoop.

Martian's a great character. But playing a character with everything gets bland in itself.
playing a character with everything means i am always leveling up and finding new ways to use those tools and enw setups, every day. playing a character with less options gets bland if you would ask myself. That being said, midtier fights tend to be more interesting. In mk9 midtiers/low tier fights were more interesting.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Looking forward to what you have to say on this. I've come to the conclusion, today, that I need a counter pick for Aquaman because my Batman just is not cutting it against any good Aquaman players anymore.

I'm thinking either Black Adam or Bane....two characters that I'm already familiar with.
Man... really going to stop going all Batman when I finally decide to actually put work into counter-picking you XD

Ah well. If you are getting a CP I'd say go Bane. I say this for no selfish reasons whatsoever :joker:
(In all seriousness check if wakeup trident rush gets stuffed by Bane's command grab; I think it's grab immune on startup but I could be wrong. If the grab stuffs it, then go Bane and respect nothing after a knockdown. If it does not, then grab BA.)

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
In mk9 midtiers/low tier fights were more interesting.
That's because their low tier options were actually usable because the other character couldn't absolutely roll their face instantly for attempting them.