What's new

Breakthrough POST YOUR OWN SKARLET REVIEW!!

My Skarlet review!
Just finished her laddder and she impressed me. She was BETTER much BETTER than i expected. Not because iam her fan but her moves are awesome. She is indeed the fastest character in the game (well, the hottest too lol) and one of the most skilled. Her moves are great to combo with and her specials are fantastic!
Her blood ball is so effective and violent at the same time.She cuts herself (and suffers a little cut on her health bar either) and throws the blood at the opponent, taking them serious damage! Her kunais are VERY fast but take less damage. And she can hold them, too.Her teleport is also fast, as she appears on the back of the opponent, as she hits them. Her X-ray is really fun and powerful.

There's also her dash, where she becomes intangible for some time which is great to make awesome combos! Not talking about her disturbing, bloody and MARVELOUS fatalities!

Overall , Skarlet is just PERFECT. Better than i could ever expect and i was TOTALLY right when i chose her as my favourite. 10 out of 10.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Skarlet, the bloody vixen. She is fast, but not to a point that makes her feel broken. She has limited range on her normals, but makes up for that with having range on her combos, even if you whiff the beginning of them.(2,1,2 anyone?) Her moveset is a mixed bag, all good really. Ground kunai is fast, easy to combo into, and can hold the second one for about two seconds. So if someone jumps the first you can wait a half second before you release the second one and they get hit. Her blood ball is harder to hit with than I initially thought. You can set the trajectory with up, forward, and down as she's throwing it. To my knowledge it is unblockable. 7% of her life trades for 15% of your opponents, not too shabby. However I don't know if this is just a skarlet glitch or it can indeed be blocked, but when my friend and I did skarlet vs. skarlet she can block the blood ball. It makes sense but not in a fighter, I mean sub freezes another sub as well. Her xray is the weakest in the game, but it is fast...extremely fast...oh yea..did I mention its a freaking OVERHEAD?! Her dash is great for mixup, it can be used in combos to extend with the up slash or end with the slide. Her damage output is low. You have to do a lot to get around 30% combos. This is without meter or xray. Actually you have to do a lot more than what you would with kung lao or johnny for example if you want similar damage. The most I was able to do in one combo so far(without looking at the vid by mkonline) was 28%. It was a really hard combo to do..possible at midscreen, easier in the corner. All in all without having played any skarlets yet I'll leave saying she's pretty balanced in the fact that she's really weak, besides that damn throw of hers. Fatalities are cool (cooler than csubs..my main). Waiting to speculate further.

babalook

Noob
I think skarlet is the best character in the game currently as she accells in all areas. Her zoning is extremely good if not the best in the game because single dagger back dash cancel repeat if done correctly will prevent your opponent from even being able to shoot their projectiles and there is always the threat of the second dagger, her iAD is stupid fast/safe and combos into teleport if used as a anti air, the last thing that makes her zoning so good is her teleport it is so fast that your opponent has to be fearful of trying to zone you back. But I think blood ball is useless outside of a ending chipper (too slow too risky). Her pressure is like kabal's in the way that she can turn her strings into 50/50s all day but her 50/50s are combo starters. If you get good at her df3 4df2(a lot like yoshi's iMCF from sc4), which I believe is a must, your mix-up game and rush-down will be ridiculous maybe even too good. Her damage is above average and combos aren't that difficult, most of which start with a move/string that can be dash canceled into one of her 50/50s that will force your opponent to keep guessing even after they block your combo starter. She also has a great anit zoning game as well do to her super fast teleport which can be done on reaction to punish some of the slower projectiles. On top of all this she can end her combo's with 112df3 normally leaving her with a 30-36% combo (still great damage) that sticks your opponent straight back into a unavoidable 50/50. Another thing that she has, that is just too much IMO, is a great get off me game with her EXdf3 which has super armor and if used to go though a attack will normally net you a 40%ish meterless combo or in worst case scenario it'll give breathing room.

Alithvia

Ice Clone.
I main as Sub-Zero and use Noob as my secondary. I played around with Skarlet for about 4-5 hours, watched numerous videos on combos, read forums for combos and even tried to make some myself. While she definitely has potential, I don't like her and I don't plan on using her. Her combos are extremely tedious to do, the exact input is constantly required for any combo. 1 mispressed button and your whole combo is shot to hell. Her timing has to be exact or you whiff part of the combo and open yourself up to punishment. It feels that her combos require too much work to do compared to Sub or Noob. Maybe it's just because I am used to playing characters that can stop rush down characters in their tracks, but Skarlet felt very weak at keeping someone from rushing her down. Other than her enhanced DF2 and her F4,3 , she just didn't seem able to keep people away from her. I fought against a few as Sub and they didn't put up much of a challenge. Her daggers can easily be traded with for an Ice Blast which causes her to loose 35% health. That threat alone made most Skarlet players stop using daggers altogether. Maybe I was using her wrong (probably was) and it's still her first day, so I'm sure things will get better, but as for now, I won't be using her.

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
I'm going to be using this bitch non-stop as she's my second to Mileena. However, I have to say she's nowhere near to the best in the game.

She's good. Don't get me wrong, but while everyone is jizzing their pants doing combos. The first thing I did was check her frames and advantage. She's disadvantaged on nearly EVERY single move or string she has.

These are her safe moves:

BASIC ATTACKS
F+2
F+3
U+3 (Which is my launcher)

COMBO ATTACKS
B+2,4
U+3,4 (Trying to use this outside of the corner)

SPECIAL ATTACKS
Red Slide

That's it.. EVERY other string or move is super unsafe. She has so many tools, but you are at so much risk after doing them on block. Dagger pressure gets blown up by crouch blockers.

She has no safe hit-confirmable moves besides U+3,4. I like that string, though.

Give it a couple of weeks. Players love combos and pseudo-mixups too much.
I used to wish Mileena had frame advantage on a better set of normals. However, she is like the safest character in the game compared to Skarlet's set of normals.

I'm changing my entire approach to the way I think she is played and I'm going start trying to trying to push the envelope outside of combos.

I'm stillgoing to main her. I love this bitch.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I like Skarlet, she's tough to do crazy combos with imo but fun to use regardless, her teleport is uber safe, her knives are great for turtling, not too fast, nor too slow.

Her blood ball has no Enhanced version no doubt due to it being unblockable, controllable and draining your health bar but is a good move when used rarely.

Her dash is alright, personally I like her enhanced version more as it goes across the whole screen. Her launch sword move is cool, wish it was a little faster but ehh it's all good. She kind of reminds me gameplay wise of a combination of Sareena/Mileena a little bit to me.

Storyline wise and character wise, she's awesome. Love how she's made out of blood and needs blood for her powers.

I don't think she's the top tier of the game, but definitely not the lowest either. Somewhere in the upper middle I'd say personally.

Overall, she's a good, solid and fun character. I'd rater her 8 out of 10 overall. She can compete, is tricky and is interesting.

Gthunda866

Lazer Eye!
to many people are over reacting about Skarlet, but I agree with MKF30. I don't know are her Slash up and Slash Overhead safe it doesn't feel like it and I haven't tested out either

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Both slash up and overhead slash are punishable. d,f+3 may still be too good but she does at least have to take risk for both options.

DCT

Noob
Review: she's a character and like any character you either play her and like her or you play her and don't.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I think skarlet is the best character in the game currently as she accells in all areas. Her zoning is extremely good if not the best in the game because single dagger back dash cancel repeat if done correctly will prevent your opponent from even being able to shoot their projectiles and there is always the threat of the second dagger, her iAD is stupid fast/safe and combos into teleport if used as a anti air, the last thing that makes her zoning so good is her teleport it is so fast that your opponent has to be fearful of trying to zone you back. But I think blood ball is useless outside of a ending chipper (too slow too risky). Her pressure is like kabal's in the way that she can turn her strings into 50/50s all day but her 50/50s are combo starters. If you get good at her df3 4df2(a lot like yoshi's iMCF from sc4), which I believe is a must, your mix-up game and rush-down will be ridiculous maybe even too good. Her damage is above average and combos aren't that difficult, most of which start with a move/string that can be dash canceled into one of her 50/50s that will force your opponent to keep guessing even after they block your combo starter. She also has a great anit zoning game as well do to her super fast teleport which can be done on reaction to punish some of the slower projectiles. On top of all this she can end her combo's with 112df3 normally leaving her with a 30-36% combo (still great damage) that sticks your opponent straight back into a unavoidable 50/50. Another thing that she has, that is just too much IMO, is a great get off me game with her EXdf3 which has super armor and if used to go though a attack will normally net you a 40%ish meterless combo or in worst case scenario it'll give breathing room.
So far, this is the only actual post I'm going to base my judgment on and these were the immediate concerns I had with the character. The telekick, zoning options and the EX with armor I knew were going to be a problem. I didn't purchase her nor plan to, but she sounds imbalanced as fuck. If this character has faults, please inform me of them.

She can zone, she can punish on reaction with telekick, her EX armor can be used for rushdowns into her stupid easy 8 hit meterless 44% combo...this is idiotic. Quan Chi got nerfed to the point of where he's below F grade and this is what they've been investing their time into?

NRS are ridiculous at this point. Yes, the character will eventually be fixed, but you need to take into consideration that YOU PAID THEM to test their broken ass character. We have to show them how imba she is because they're too god damn cheap to hire a competent team after they've already tweaked/buffed and nerfed characters into the fucking ground. :fuckyou:

So far I like her, but she is a little too good I believe. I'm not complaining or anything, but she has so much to work with.

Her tele is safe, you have enough time to recover and even block many punishes after it. The recovery animation after tele is fast as hell. Her kunai projectiles are fast and can be used like Kitana's fans. Air kunai are really good too she has lots of set-ups with it after an air kick like Kabal. Her dash is really good and reminds me a lot of Reptile's dash elbow.

Pretty much she can do anything at all. She is good at zoning and is also good at heavy combos (depending on players execution). I will say however that her combos aren't all dirt easy to get the first few times. That's where her dashes come in, which I have a lot of fun messing with.

I mean, I like her but really don't see myself using her as much. Sure, she is added as a 3rd character to my list just to tinker with. The only thing is that she will stay as a 3rd only for me. I still like Sindel and Reptile way better and I get a lot of pleasure hitting combos with them. With Skarlet I just don't feel that way, I feel like I'm not doing much at all with her.

For me half the fun of playing a character is finding the challenges or faults they have and trying to conquer it. No matter how bad you are told a character sucks if they are "your" character you want to excel with them, that's how I feel about my main Sindel. I have played her as a main since my MK3 days as a kid. I really feel like I have accomplished something with her so yeah, she's not going anywhere for me.

My secondary- Reptile, well I always liked him since MK2. I still have a lot of work to do with him because I have my brain dead moments with him. Thought I can say those moments help me learn and get better. He takes a lot of strategy and good timing which I have a ton of fun with. I'm more of a tactical zoning and trap setting kind of guy.

Don't get me wrong, Skarlet is good. Just not the kind of character I really want to get real serious with. Maybe after a while I will enjoy her more, but right now she's on the back-burner.
I'd give her a 9/10. She's well worth the download if you like fun characters to mess around with.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
IniquityDM said:
So far, this is the only actual post I'm going to base my judgment on and these were the immediate concerns I had with the character. The telekick, zoning options and the EX with armor I knew were going to be a problem. I didn't purchase her nor plan to, but she sounds imbalanced as fuck. If this character has faults, please inform me of them.

She can zone, she can punish on reaction with telekick, her EX armor can be used for rushdowns into her stupid easy 8 hit meterless 44% combo...this is idiotic. Quan Chi got nerfed to the point of where he's below F grade and this is what they've been investing their time into?

NRS are ridiculous at this point. Yes, the character will eventually be fixed, but you need to take into consideration that YOU PAID THEM to test their broken ass character. We have to show them how imba she is because they're too god damn cheap to hire a competent team after they've already tweaked/buffed and nerfed characters into the fucking ground. :fuckyou:
You need to relax, my friend. There is too much theory in the Skarlet forum. Skarlet is hardly broken. Until she can hit-confirm into the Up and Down Slash, which are not safe on block, the combos that she is able to do will only make for fancy combo videos. That is it. Also, while the daggers are quick, she cannot play projectile wars full screen away because daggers do poor damage and provide poor block advantage. Furthermore, the teleport is not particularly fast. It cannot punish the better recovering projectiles in this game. Most of her basic attacks feel awkward, slow, and unsafe too. Once people realize that Skarlet is about baiting and reacting and that they cannot spam the slashes to perform their practice mode combos, the hype will calm down and they will move on.

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING

Okay, let's just go with straight facts. Firstly, it's pretty obvious that you're reading what you want to read and nothing else. I'll make it even easier and put all my findings down with her. I'm going to start with the disadvantage and advantage on nearly every move she has.

BASIC ATTACKS:
(Unsafe)
B+1
B+2
F+4

(Safe)
F+2
F+3
U+3

COMBO ATTACKS:
(Unsafe)
B+1, F+3
B+1,1,4
B+1,1,F+4
B+1,2,B+4
F+2,1,2,1+2
F+3,1,2
F+3,3

(Safe)
b+2,4
U+3,4
F+4,3

SPECIAL ATTACKS
(Unsafe)
D,F+2
D,B+2
D,B+4
B,D,F+1

(Safe)
Slide
D,F+1 (Struggling to gauge the safety as it can be cancelled)
AIR D,B+1

ENHANCED ATTACKS
(Unsafe)
D,F+2+BLK
D,B+2+BLK
D,B+4+BLK

Oh and I want to go out there and ask people to stop saying her Blood Drop and Blood Stomps are safe. They are not. They are actually full combo punishable. Her Telekicks aren't even comparable to Mileena's and they can't be cancelled or combo'd out of.. The EN version does 5 hits so it's pointless at te end of combos when you can just use an uppercut. Actually, Skarlet's EN Telekick is shit in my opinion.

She does have decent have decents fireball pressure because she can backsah cancel and throw another Dagger. However, at 3% it's not all that scary. Her Red Dash is pretty damn good on the end of resets and combos and the semi-glitch allowing her to cancel her Red Slide into Up/Down Slash is awesome.

She's basically a jack of all trades but not nearly a master of anything.

She's got a lot of potential, but it'll take a lot longer than a day to get there.

You need to relax, my friend. There is too much theory in the Skarlet forum. Skarlet is hardly broken. Until she can hit-confirm into the Up and Down Slash, which are not safe on block, the combos that she is able to do will only make for fancy combo videos. That is it. Also, while the daggers are quick, she cannot play projectile wars full screen away because daggers do poor damage and provide poor block advantage. Furthermore, the teleport is not particularly fast. It cannot punish the better recovering projectiles in this game. Most of her basic attacks feel awkward, slow, and unsafe too. Once people realize that Skarlet is about baiting and reacting and that they cannot spam the slashes to perform their practice mode combos, the hype will calm down and they will move on.
You hit the nail on the head. Everything you see right now will be in combo videos and nothing more. My combos and resets start from U+3 because it hits crouchers and is safe on block. Everything hit-confirmable gets her killed.

Tw1sted

Noob
i've got no problem with her specials just the damage scaling on her normals (aside from b2) and her xray are all pretty bad. to get her big damage combos require extremely good execution to pull off. even then, the negative edge seems to fuck with her far more than any of the other characters i've tried learning. i definitely think she needs to be hotfixed soon. we can't even agree upon what her BnB is since theres so many different things she can do and all of them act really weird in juggles. i was having fun breaking her down and all, but i'm not really enjoying her vs other characters in the game.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Skarlet's good, but she's very fair. Her playstyle is more zone-based than offense, and her teleport and slashes are far from safe (I've been easily jab punished online consistently, if that answers how unsafe she is). Her dash gives her some mixup options, but she has to be risky with it. Her cancelled daggers have really small blockstun, so you better be able to cancel it fast if you wanna do something with it.

She feels very mid-tierish, which isn't bad. She's got pretty solid damage.

babalook

Noob
well any move that she has that is unsafe can be cancelled into df3 4 and now the move is safe, i think once we have a player that just picks out the few moves that are safe and hit confirmable and plays her smart instead of like a combo video then we will see how good she really is because it doesn't matter how many unsafe moves she has when most characters in this game only use about 3-6 moves.

Well I'm dissappointed with her. 0/10. She doesnt actually exist in europe, I thought she'd be slightly more useful than that

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Well I'm dissappointed with her. 0/10. She doesnt actually exist in europe, I thought she'd be slightly more useful than that
Please do not bring the issue of her being unavailable for PSN Europe into this thread.

Teleport is safe during some situations though. Like if they try to sweep punish your teleport and you hold cr block or if they use any other move that takes a little extra time to come out. If they don't punish at the exact right time you can easily block.

Her teleport is fully punishable for a good amount of frames. Their isnt a character in the game that cant hit a full bnb combo off the block pretty easily.

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
Teleport is safe during some situations though. Like if they try to sweep punish your teleport and you hold cr block or if they use any other move that takes a little extra time to come out. If they don't punish at the exact right time you can easily block.
*Rolleyes*

That doesn't even make sense. How can you say a move is safe because someone uses the worst options to punish said move?

No one with a brain in their skull would try and sweep someone, when they know they can do nearly any launcher string for free. Come on now, would you do that? I hope not.

1) The character is cool.
2) NRS did a really bush league job on the release, including bugs on arrival, no second costume for a character you paid $5 for, no mandatory compatibility patch leading to people who paid for her being unable to use her online.