What's new

Post the top 5 underrated characters in your opinion.

5. Jade- Seeing a lot more online than usual, some are difficult to beat but this could be due to me not knowing the match up.
4. Sektor- very annoying to face, he has good defensive normals and specials.
3. Sonya- She may seem like a worse Cage, but she definetly isn't.
2. Jax- He has very good advantage on nearly all his moves, good mindgames and the best corner game.
1. Kano- He might not be what he used to be but Kano is still a very solid character.

Justice

Noob
In no particular order......

1. Sonya. Playing with her online you can see your opponent eye-roll and wonder who his next opponent will pick. I think Sonya can stand on her own against Raiden and Kung Lao if played correctly.

2. Sheeva. Definitely the slowest female character in video game history but has all the tools to stand toe-to-toe with anyone. Woefully underrated since her debut in MK2.

3. Sektor. Annoying mofo when played correctly.

4. Baraka. His anti-air is almost broken it's so insane.

5. Cyber-Sub. Just as deadly as his human counterpart with none of the respect.

Ugh this is going to ruin me! I make my living by playing the underrated characters of MK and with all these names out my niche is gone! Haha just kidding, I am really happy people want to take the time to at least spare a thought to these character rarities.

Sektor - my main, and my true love. Quite honestly and truthfully, Sektor is a monster. But he's not popular! I can't even think of why he's not either. Is it his speed that turns people off? It can't be that he has one of the fastest dashes and overall the best mobility of the cast. Is it his lack of damage? No. Is it is lack of mix-ups? It can't be...after all many of his BnBs start off from his low combo string. I just don't understand but I sure as heck do not care. Perhaps I'll make a video...someday...and PROVE Sektor's might. *end rant*

Baraka- Oh man does my heart go out to this fella'. There is a stigma surrounding Baraka. Everyone has bashes him as the worst character in the game. To put it quite simply, people don't know what the fuck their talking about. People operate on word of mouth and never try to test the waters. I have literally crushed people with my my 37-40% meterless corner combos. Shunned their attempts at crossover punches and jump ins with chop chop and whirlaroo. The fact of the matter is when it comes to turtling Baraka is probably the best in the game bar Jax.

Shang Tsung- you've seen the 80% combo videos. You've seen the morph combos and you've heard all the possibilities with the evil soulercer. Quite honestly this has given the perception of a character that's too difficult to use or to unorthodox to play. Shang doesn't need his morph technique to send the opponent to hell and back. The frame advantage he gets on upskulls is down right ridiculous and can lead to all out rushdown assualts on Shang's part. Sprinkle in the fact that the dude can do UNBREAKABLE combos from anywhere with or without meter and you have a really really really really really nasty fighter. Admittedly Shang Tsung ascends to new heights with his morph technique...this can lead to very interesting fights. My all time favorite thing is when I know how to play with the opposition's character. I don't base my gameplay around the morph in this case but if the chance arises I do my best to shun them with their own character. This often leads to streaks of badassness.

Quan Chi - simply put- fight and expert Quan Chi and your chances of Raging increases sixfold. Quan has THE best offense in the game when he has meter. No other character can chain unblockble strings into extended resets. Honestly its a thing of beauty.

Sindel - *crickets* *checks roster* Oh she is in the game! Let me but it like this. I have played this game for 4-5 months and I have never seen a Sindel. Never Never Never. Never have I seen an opponent pick her just for grins or for gigs or for shits. I don't understand, I would think spammers would be all over her. She has the best fireballs in the game. She even has good options for mix ups as well. I am currently practicing with her wish me luck as I seek to bring another "unseen" to the field!

Honorable Mentions

Sheeva
Stryker
Sonya

arydious

Noob
5. Jade- Seeing a lot more online than usual, some are difficult to beat but this could be due to me not knowing the match up.
4. Sektor- very annoying to face, he has good defensive normals and specials.
3. Sonya- She may seem like a worse Cage, but she definetly isn't.
2. Jax- He has very good advantage on nearly all his moves, good mindgames and the best corner game.
1. Kano- He might not be what he used to be but Kano is still a very solid character.

I like all of these i would swap Sindel for jax, she just works better for me.

5. Kano - after the nerf, you suddenly never saw Kano online anymore. Even so, he can be a beast in the right hands. A good Kano makes you afraid to push a button.
4. Sonya - As someone else called her, "Johnny Cage Lite." Her meterless combo damage verges on retarded.
3. Liu Kang - Good old Three Button Liu. His wake up game is terrible but his mixups are ridiculous. The Mario of Mortal Kombat.
2. Sektor - I honestly can't understand why Sektor is played so little. 40% + combos with no meter? Yes please.
1. Jade - You have to put in a lot of practice hours with Jade, but it's worth it.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Sonya must be the most underrated, shes the only character that im aware of that hurts the opponent more once they understand how to fight her more.
She punishes pokes harder than KL and for no meter, will win a zoning war so long as she gets one shot in. Has a really really good reset and a better mixup game than somebody like kabal with MS cancels.

And still nobody plays her.

Why

Noob
Happy to see both my mains mentioned so much here (Sektor and Skarlet). In no particular order:

Sektor: He has a ton of useful tools and a quick low that combos. Burner is a fantastic antiair, up missile is a good zoning tool, and teleport, while unsafe out of combo, does great combo damage and is what makes the character what he is. Only downside is that he needs meter for combos.

Skarlet: Isn't she technically top 5 right now? Her back throw damage, knife cancels and red slide glitch are supposedly being removed/nerfed, deservedly, but either way she still has great normals like f4,3, high damage combos and 50-50 slide moves. Curious why no one uses her.

Scorpion: EX harpoon is a very underrated move and is always my downfall against him. Very damaging and sometimes unpredictable.

Liu Kang: My god, I play against this character with an offline friend all the time and his 50-50s are terrifying. This is a character you have to keep an eye on ALL the time or you get comboed to oblivion. His combos are easy mode, but I hardly ever see him by comparison.

Noob: Don't know much about this character but the one time I played against him I had a very hard time getting in on him. When used correctly, shadow specials are something to be afraid of.

I also want to put Stryker on here because of his specials, but he really does shit damage. It's disappointing.

HadesWTF

Don't Hate!
Nightwolf - My main. My Boy. My Kin. Dude is a total beast.

Sektor - I messed around with him for a long time. I love his character and his diversity of styles.

Quan Troll - Great Mixups and some awesome combos.

Sindel - She can do more than just zone guys.

Stryker - I play a couple of good ones quite regularly, he has all the tools to win, believe it or not.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
1) Sheeva- Nobody goes into a fight with Sheeva expecting to lose, but when played correctly, that bitch is scary. Easily the most underrated IMO.
2) Sektor- probably one of the most well balanced characters in the game and no one seems to realize it.
3) Scorpion- Playing against a good scorpion player is just a guessing game that can end terribly.
4) Rain- People talk trash about him, but as CD Jr. proved he can win.
5) Quan Chi- He's been getting noticed a lot more here lately but is still a great character that is overlooked.

Edit: Jade is probably a tie with Quan Chi.

Sonya must be the most underrated, shes the only character that im aware of that hurts the opponent more once they understand how to fight her more.
She punishes pokes harder than KL and for no meter, will win a zoning war so long as she gets one shot in. Has a really really good reset and a better mixup game than somebody like kabal with MS cancels.

And still nobody plays her.
I know exactly what you mean. After playing you and a couple of other high level Sonyas I'm actually starting to fear her more up close than Jax or even Johnny Cage.

JC is pretty easy to keep away and when he's close, at least I know I can just block then D1 or D3 to create space. But vs Sonya I'm completely mindfucked. She just seems so versatile and can destroy you in like 10 different ways.

Also, I got hit by a 45% midscreen meterless combo earlier today. That shit hurt!

1) Sheeva- Nobody goes into a fight with Sheeva expecting to lose, but when played correctly, that bitch is scary. Easily the most underrated IMO.
2) Sektor- probably one of the most well balanced characters in the game and no one seems to realize it.
3) Scorpion- Playing against a good scorpion player is just a guessing game that can end terribly.
4) Rain- People talk trash about him, but as CD Jr. proved he can win.
5) Quan Chi- He's been getting noticed a lot more here lately but is still a great character that is overlooked.

Edit: Jade is probably a tie with Quan Chi.
I agree with #1....I think it was me your playing with....lol

Sasuga

Noob
I'd say Sonya as well. I played a couple of good Sonya's and I still have no idea how to take her on.

Sheeva as well. This also resides on a lack knowledge on my part, I don't have a solid way of countering teleport spam. Also the forward kind of roundhouse she has gets me every time.

Cyber-Sub also is stronger than I thought. He has pretty annoying mix-up pressure. But that's just a matter of learning how to block properly. I would love to see his game change however. Fix his ice bombs but make his dive kick more punishable in return.

I know a couple of pretty good Quan players, also a very solid character.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
As I said, people are going to be putting Sonya in high tier in their charts very soon... I think she was slept on even more than Sektor

5. kung lao-even better than what everyone gives him credit for already. a bigger distance between him and the rest of the roster than their is yun and the ae roster imo. the game would be better if he wasnt in it.

4. quan chi-not a great character and lacking in some areas to the point of not even being able to compete against some characters (lao, cyber sub) but still not bottom tier and is capable of winning at high level.

3. skarlet-everyone knows how good she is but their just hasnt been any super high level play documented with her yet. i expect someone in the near future to blow shit up with her, followed by the skarlet bandwagon starting.

2. liu kang-great rushdown, zoning, anitzoning, wakeup parry, mixups, great uppercut. has everything. so good.

1. kenshi-unbeatable by alot of the roster if played to his peak. top tier imo.

the more i play with/against jade the more i think she is actually overrated and in reality is a bottom tier character.

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
Sonya - good damage, great pressure, great aerial control

Sheeva - she does tons of damage if she touches you, she's slow but has good rand on her normals

Kano - great xray, good zoning, great pressure

Nightwolf - builds meter fast, great damage, great normals and pressure, can deal with far zoning

Jax - great pressure, good damage, corner traps, great xray

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
In my opionion Stryker is underrated player.
I want to believe this but having played him extensively he is in my opinion the worst character in the game, he has virtually nothing redeeming aside from a decent (not fantastic) zoning game. Gunshot is a great move, but cancel is too slow unless you're mind reading, and projectile trades will kill you with so many capture projectiles. Your wakeup is poked out for free, your best combos off gunshot are only anti-air and only above 18% in the corner, all your zoning can be ducked. Your normals are stuffed by anything, your best option for regaining fullscreen is duckable and stays out for ten weeks. You have two good tools, gunshot, if only because it recovers fast and the second hit breaks a lot of armor, and standing 4. That isn't enough. I wish it was, I want to play Stryker.

Anyway I can only comment on characters I play or play against so: Quan Chi, Cyber Sub, Skarlet.

Quan Chi: The first character where blocking his mixups makes him more dangerous rather than less. I've seen a 46% guaranteed on block combo (More than most X-rays for the same meter) and whiffing stomps actually gives you a very safe way in. Plus nothing is worse than trading a projectile with this guy and having to sit and watch his everlasting jump in to reset shenanigans. Plus the hitbox on that crap is like Ermac TKP, and it puts nothing on the screen. I've had it catch crossup jumps.

Cyber Sub: Great damage (Midscreen 40%) nasty nasty corner game, several resets, which while not Cyrax level let you pressure in interesting ways. Great normals, and parry is a real mindfuck. On the other hand his lack of pokes and inability to deal with pokes means he loses hard to people who know how to pressure him. Still. . . safe-ish divekick is dumb and he can control some matchups, plus landing corner combo to bomb pressure to corner combo is a hoot.

Skarlet: She's the C. Viper of this game. Amazing damage, insane mixups, Weird playstyle and vicious execution. I'm slowly working on getting my execution with her up to tournament level, but she has tools like no one else. Her fullscreen dash to combos to reset is brutal, she has multiple ways to crack 40% and has a 39% reset hit confirm that ends on a 50-50 on block. If she didn't require a level of execution miles above any other character in the game, she'd have an army.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I want to believe this but having played him extensively he is in my opinion the worst character in the game, he has virtually nothing redeeming aside from a decent (not fantastic) zoning game. Gunshot is a great move, but cancel is too slow unless you're mind reading, and projectile trades will kill you with so many capture projectiles. Your wakeup is poked out for free, your best combos off gunshot are only anti-air and only above 18% in the corner, all your zoning can be ducked. Your normals are stuffed by anything, your best option for regaining fullscreen is duckable and stays out for ten weeks. You have two good tools, gunshot, if only because it recovers fast and the second hit breaks a lot of armor, and standing 4. That isn't enough. I wish it was, I want to play Stryker.
I also really wanted Stryker to be good, I was even thinking of maining him in this game before I bought it, but he's just not. Vulcan Hades can over-exaggerate Stryker matchups all he wants (no offense, haha), but the way the character is designed in this game just doesn't make him viable. In my opinion, the only way to get him up to high tier would be to make him ridiculously fast.

5. Sonya, I'm guilty of this myself. I've seen people pick sonya online and think "this will be easy" and then i just get my ass handed to me by the good ones, props to you guys. I think theres alot more bad sonyas out there, but when used well and practiced enough with she can be deadly
4. Tsung. I havent fought one online in over 400 matches now, and i really dont see why. He has some deadly combos, skull juggles, the morphs, everything. I think he'll pick up more from all of the high damage combo vids that people see on youtube
3. Nightwolf. High damage character, one of the best specials in the game, good juggles, yet i've fought one in 400 matches. One. And he was a damn good one too. Its a shame how little people use him
2. Kenshi. Most people try to use him as a zoner, but when used right[corner rape], hes hard to fight against and equally as hard to use which is why i can understand people not using him. Rising karma is such a great move/combo starter. His only weakness is the cross up game, and its a glaring one and a turn off. But you gotta fight through it
1. Quan chi: i think enough has been said

HM: Cyber Sub, Sektor[although hes been used alot more online recently...]