What's new

Strategy Post Patch Option Selects in MKX

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Hey guys,

I made this video to explore the idea of post patch option selects within MKX. I know a lot of them were taken out, but it seems like there are some inevitable option selects when pressuring with a string that just so happens to share the same button input as your armoured reversal.

There are two examples here to get you started. Kenjutsu Kenshi and Sorcerer Quan.

Kenshi

Kenshi OS was found by Durpey.

End a combo in df1 and instantly input 11MBDF1 on the opponents wakeup. If they do nothing or rise late, the 11 will wiff and you get a meaty 111 and can hit confirm it on block into push for extra damage/chip/meter. Being totally safe if you leave it at 111, as that's only -6.

If they wakeup attack, the second hit of 111 will register and it will trigger the MB DF1 you input, crushing their wakeup attack and launching them for another combo.

This will not work on super fast wakeups like Lao spin, so be careful.

Quan Chi

This is an OS that covers all opponent rise options if they have no meter for wakeup or no wakeup in general.

End a combo as normal, make sure you end it in an airborne 141 to get the longest possible knockdown. Set up a Hex in DD2 as fast as possible. Then input f21 MB Skull on the opponents wakeup. If they stand up normally or short delay wakeup, f21 will connect on block and you'll get MB skull, this lets you rune trap as normal.

If the opponent max delays wakeup or rolls into the same thing, the game will disregard the first MB skull, and will just give you f212 instead, as skull shares the same button as the third hit of f212. This means as they stand, the third hit of f212 connects on block, letting you do a second MB skull. then rune trap as normal.

The input on a max delay wakeup becomes f21 MBDB2 MBDB2, but the game turns it into f212 MBDB2.

As I mention in the video, these are just a couple of examples of covering multiple options in one go. I'm positive more will exist, so it's worth looking into!

Last edited:

UGL Preon

The Casual God
I tend to think OS's are pretty stupid and at one point were told early in MKX's lifespan they were unintentional and would be on the way out soon....

Aaaaaand here we are. I think its pretty dumb to have a one glove fits all situation on top of the game being this MIX heavy. But that's me. If you're just Playing to win and that's all that matters. It is shocking to see that a lot of people aren't Option Selecting as an answer to keep safe and still unload to make the most out of an opportunity.

PND_Ketchup

I tend to think OS's are pretty stupid and at one point were told early in MKX's lifespan they were unintentional and would be on the way out soon....

Aaaaaand here we are. I think its pretty dumb to have a one glove fits all situation on top of the game being this MIX heavy. But that's me. If you're just Playing to win and that's all that matters. It is shocking to see that a lot of people aren't Option Selecting as an answer to keep safe and still unload to make the most out of an opportunity.
I mean, people generally don't tend to like Option Selects. I'm sure that's almost unanimous.

The point is that they exist to a degree in MKX, so it;s worth exploring.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Sometimes if you don't wake up, you can, for example, punch Kenshi for a full combo during his recovery frames of 11

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
Kinda the same thing, with DF Goro I'll end with command grab then input f3xxEX db2 on their wakeup. If they wake up with armor it will break it and launch for full combo and if they don't do anything the f3 will whiff and the godlike recovery leaves you decently plus.

omooba

fear the moobs
If we have safe 50/50 then I guess OS is fine.
eeeeeeeh kinda agree

usually don't like option selects but in this respect i do. when they're character specific and they change the character's balance i'm fine with it. netherrealm can then look at the character's tools including the option select and decide if it needs to go. if they just always took out option selects that would minimize the possible discoveries there are for a character and as someone who loves the lab i pretty sure ketchup wouldn't want that either

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
eeeeeeeh kinda agree

usually don't like option selects but in this respect i do. when they're character specific and they change the character's balance i'm fine with it. netherrealm can then look at the character's tools including the option select and decide if it needs to go. if they just always took out option selects that would minimize the possible discoveries there are for a character and as someone who loves the lab i pretty sure ketchup wouldn't want that either

That was sarcasm Brother...

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
It seems like a full delay wakeup makes the Kenshi OS shown in this video completely whiff. Good amount of characters can probably punish for a full combo.

Also, what happens if the opponent chooses to jump out of either of these setups? Are you able to get a full grounded combo?

Lokheit

Noob
Cryo has OS after midscreen hammer. The JIP is guaranteed and after that you can input for example F1B2, if they delay the JIP will whiff, the F1 won't come out and you will get the B2 (which can get them if they wakeup with a backdash). If not then you get JIP into F12 which is 0 on block and easily hit confirmable into F122 for a launcher. There are many variations of the OS after hammer (you can even 50/50 but the low versions aren't so effective) and you can use differen strings like B1(B)2. They still don't cover every single scenario and like the Kenshi ones can be punished depending on what the opponent does, but at least they help you by eliminating variables from their reaction.

I thought every character had stuff like this and their players knew, I wasn't aware it wasn't common anymore (I knew there was a patch but I thought it was to remove the extremely cheesy ones).

PND_Ketchup

It seems like a full delay wakeup makes the Kenshi OS shown in this video completely whiff. Good amount of characters can probably punish for a full combo.

Also, what happens if the opponent chooses to jump out of either of these setups? Are you able to get a full grounded combo?
Durpey found a different way to do it that covers max delayed wakeup.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
Durpey found a different way to do it that covers max delayed wakeup.
So he found a new, better setup that universally covers all options, or is it 2 different setups? Also, what about if your opponent chooses to hold up forward on wake up?

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
It's the same with Unbreakable Sub Zero's B12~EX Parry. The 1 whiffs, however, the 2 hits 7% DMG and freezes the opponent spot on, while preventing with his armor to get hit. It's the same like Kano's EX spinball.

That needs a GOOD timing to execute.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
It's the same with Unbreakable Sub Zero's B12~EX Parry. The 1 whiffs, however, the 2 hits 7% DMG and freezes the opponent spot on, while preventing with his armor to get hit. It's the same like Kano's EX spinball.

That needs a GOOD timing to execute.
But if the wake up blocking the parry will come out and you will get punished right? Or is something going on here I'm not thinking about?

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
But if the wake up blocking the parry will come out and you will get punished right? Or is something going on here I'm not thinking about?

This is what I'm talking about. This cannot be blocked, whatever you do.

Lokheit

Noob

This is what I'm talking about. This cannot be blocked, whatever you do.
I think he means that they block instead of attacking, then you hit with the 2 (which is blocked) and the parry will leave you vulnerable for a jump over you followed by full corner combo punish.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Sometimes if you don't wake up, you can, for example, punch Kenshi for a full combo during his recovery frames of 11
I did a test and yea, Kenshi is NOT safe with this. Cassie can punish him with 242 for a full combo because Kenshi just whiffed his 11
Everyone needs to find a move with godlike recovery to do this safely, so you won't lose turn after this kind of OS after a knockdown