What's new

Guide - Stunt Double Please delete this thread, as I don't know how & I've made a new and much better one

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
I've picked up SD Cage and practiced quite a bit, but what I've noticed is an awkwardness in the neutral game. What is the best strategy to activate the clones?

I tried F3~clone cancel, but man, if you whiff the F3 you're going to eat shit. I also tried run cancelling up close into a D4, then into a knee, or B3,4. Jump ins work fine if you dont get anti aired...so that's a risk too.

What do you guys do?
You get used to it. Cool thing is if you input the command for the f3 cancel quick enough you get f34 on whiff anyway which is a little better. Generally you'll start to be able to tell when your opponent will try to stay away for a second which gives you a free activate- like during a projectile fight. It's also good on knockdown like on hit after f34 or anything really- a throw even. If I need to buy an extra second for recharge I like to throw a forceball then activate.

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin
An Online Set using Stunt Double:
Hey man, thanks so much for taking the time to record/upload your play; looking good man. Just from an outside perspective to give you some constructive criticism, I'm not trying to be rude but we are all on here to level up and watching yourself sometimes it can hard to find the holes in your own play. (I would appreciate someone critiquing me so I'm just presuming you'd like the same, if not then just ignore this).

A few things that I noticed is that you throw out raw F3,4 too much; it's a great string, but it's so good that I've noticed that us Cage mains rely on it a little too much (myself included). When the person is stand blocking is the only time you should use the EX-forceball because you can be uppercutted or poked out fairly easily with the f**king stupid option select mechanism in this game, I use Jax too and his pressure stings into fireball are the same exact way :/. Also F3, 4 should only be thrown out if you are >80% sure you'll connect because you can eat a full combo if they block it.

You did an excellent job with F3, MC and applying pressure afterwards, something else you might use (sparingly because they will eventually catch on) is D4, MC. You looked VERY strong against Sonya but Mileena was giving you trouble so I'd work on that match up more (you have to pretty much punish every blocked special with F3, Nut because everything else is too slow or doesn't reach), because she is far worse of a character than Sonya. Your run full screen into D4 to apply pressure or to dodge projectiles was very on point sir. It is VERY difficult to tec throws in this game (online especially, but then again EVERYTHING is impossible online), so I would get that 12% damage for often, I rarely saw you throw.

Overall man you looked very solid, your spacing was on point, your combos (especially in the corner) looked very good, I certainly wouldn't want to face you in a tournament setting. Good job man, and again, thank you for taking the time to record/upload this; it helps out alot. Much appreciated.

EDIT: Also EX-Nut after a blocked F3, 4 is Godlike, definitely stealing that tec from you. I noticed you do 1,Nut afterwards and sometimes dropped. Have you tried 4, Nut? I find that it reaches so you don't need to dash/run and is more consistent.

Last edited:

xGunShow

Toronto, Canada @GunShowXO
Hey man, thanks so much for taking the time to record/upload your play; looking good man. Just from an outside perspective to give you some constructive criticism, I'm not trying to be rude but we are all on here to level up and watching yourself sometimes it can hard to find the holes in your own play. (I would appreciate someone critiquing me so I'm just presuming you'd like the same, if not then just ignore this).

A few things that I noticed is that you throw out raw F3,4 too much; it's a great string, but it's so good that I've noticed that us Cage mains rely on it a little too much (myself included). When the person is stand blocking is the only time you should use the EX-forceball because you can be uppercutted or poked out fairly easily with the f**king stupid option select mechanism in this game, I use Jax too and his pressure stings into fireball are the same exact way :/. Also F3, 4 should only be thrown out if you are >80% sure you'll connect because you can eat a full combo if they block it.

You did an excellent job with F3, MC and applying pressure afterwards, something else you might use (sparingly because they will eventually catch on) is D4, MC. You looked VERY strong against Sonya but Mileena was giving you trouble so I'd work on that match up more (you have to pretty much punish every blocked special with F3, Nut because everything else is too slow or doesn't reach), because she is far worse of a character than Sonya. Your run full screen into D4 to apply pressure or to dodge projectiles was very on point sir. It is VERY difficult to tec throws in this game (online especially, but then again EVERYTHING is impossible online), so I would get that 12% damage for often, I rarely saw you throw.

Overall man you looked very solid, your spacing was on point, your combos (especially in the corner) looked very good, I certainly wouldn't want to face you in a tournament setting. Good job man, and again, thank you for taking the time to record/upload this; it helps out alot. Much appreciated.

EDIT: Also EX-Nut after a blocked F3, 4 is Godlike, definitely stealing that tec from you. I noticed you do 1,Nut afterwards and sometimes dropped. Have you tried 4, Nut? I find that it reaches so you don't need to dash/run and is more consistent.
Thanks for the kind words man! Much appreciated. I will definitely take your criticism into consideration. I will do my best to level up and post more matches for you guys.

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin
Thanks for the kind words man! Much appreciated. I will definitely take your criticism into consideration. I will do my best to level up and post more matches for you guys.
I'm having trouble getting the F3, DB4 consistently, instead it does the F3, 4 string, any trick to it? I'm using a stick btw
I figured out that for the D4, mimic all you have to do is press D4 and B4 and it will come out every time

I'm having trouble getting the F3, DB4 consistently, instead it does the F3, 4 string, any trick to it? I'm using a stick btw
I figured out that for the D4, mimic all you have to do is press D4 and B4 and it will come out every time
make sure you aren't letting go of the last directional input until after the move activates; took me a while to get used to this for certain cancels in MK as well. as long as your last input is clean and is being held till after the button push, you should get it.

f3 also has a really tight cancel window to begin with

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin
make sure you aren't letting go of the last directional input until after the move activates; took me a while to get used to this for certain cancels in MK as well. as long as your last input is clean and is being held till after the button push, you should get it.

f3 also has a really tight cancel window to begin with
THANK YOU! That was the problem, I wasn't holding the direction.

Biologic

Noob
I've picked up SD Cage and practiced quite a bit, but what I've noticed is an awkwardness in the neutral game. What is the best strategy to activate the clones?

I tried F3~clone cancel, but man, if you whiff the F3 you're going to eat shit. I also tried run cancelling up close into a D4, then into a knee, or B3,4. Jump ins work fine if you dont get anti aired...so that's a risk too.

What do you guys do?
Try clone canceling after D4 pokes or D1 pokes, also don't be afraid to activate mimic at max/just inside mimic kick reach, since you can activate it and then throw out a mimic kick nearly right after

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
For some reason any string cancelled in mimic allows only db1 ex to come out. bf4 will NEVER come out ex. I've tried it out of my nose, but I'm getting db1 ex after 114 db4 99% of the time, and bf4 ex never, so the chances of me being retarded are slim.

Why the hell can't I ex it after the cancel?

Burnout

Keep et Classy
For some reason any string cancelled in mimic allows only db1 ex to come out. bf4 will NEVER come out ex. I've tried it out of my nose, but I'm getting db1 ex after 114 db4 99% of the time, and bf4 ex never, so the chances of me being retarded are slim.

give it a little more gap time, compared to the rising shadow

Biologic

Noob

You're right, you can't EX BF4 after cancel, but considering ex shadow kick isn't really different from regular shadow kick I don't see why it's a problem

Also mimic shadow kick is what leaves you + on block, not rising shadow, incase you didn't know <3

Last edited:

Wrath0594

Fucking loving Johnny's pressure after nutpunch. The mind games are sooo much fun. Also been using ex nutpunch like 10x as much to screw with people counterpoking my pressure away and it's amazing. F34 ex nutpunch, f24 ex nutpunch, etc. etc.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
OK, so I'm really having fun now....For clarity sake, the clone cool down timer starts ticking down after the first clone is used, right? So is there a block string that starts with 2 clones ready that leads to another mimic cancel?

Is anyone else trying to find a way to go long enough to mimic cancel by the end of a string? Any luck to be had? I just want to create situations where the opponent has to block so much that they have time to go make a sandwich.

rafaw

#YouSuck
OK, so I'm really having fun now....For clarity sake, the clone cool down timer starts ticking down after the first clone is used, right? So is there a block string that starts with 2 clones ready that leads to another mimic cancel?

Is anyone else trying to find a way to go long enough to mimic cancel by the end of a string? Any luck to be had? I just want to create situations where the opponent has to block so much that they have time to go make a sandwich.
i dont think we can do it guaranteed, but we can allways put the d4 there to do it, try doing 333msk~d4~333msk~f24 mc~msk

anytime you use a clone (not just the first one), it resets, so you there probably no block strings that reset the timer.

there are defo combos, although pretty much strictly in the corner and pree much require a bar to make it last long enough. they are kind of spread through out this thread and the combo thread, if you wish to look them up.

Wrath0594

My favorite ways to buy time are throwing, maybe even in a combo or using forceballs. Not going to help with making them block long enough for a new mimic, but you could always do that thing in Biologic's video where you do jip, 333 xx clone ex db1 and repeat that 3 times. Should be long enough for a sandwich. Also gets around 20% chip.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
My favorite ways to buy time are throwing, maybe even in a combo or using forceballs. Not going to help with making them block long enough for a new mimic, but you could always do that thing in Biologic's video where you do jip, 333 xx clone ex db1 and repeat that 3 times. Should be long enough for a sandwich. Also gets around 20% chip.
I legit did that today online to a poor Kung Lao player. Hitting it live made me laugh out loud.

Wrath0594

I legit did that today online to a poor Kung Lao player. Hitting it live made me laugh out loud.
Nice! Everytime I try it, they get hit by some weird part of the string and it throws me off because I'm never ready to combo :/
It'll be sweet to use it on someone good enough to block it all >XD

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Nice! Everytime I try it, they get hit by some weird part of the string and it throws me off because I'm never ready to combo :/
It'll be sweet to use it on someone good enough to block it all >XD
I've noticed that you can input 3,3,3 as fast as you want, but you have to wait for the last kick to cancel into special. I drop 3,3,3~anything a LOT online. Lag blows.

Wrath0594

I've noticed that you can input 3,3,3 as fast as you want, but you have to wait for the last kick to cancel into special. I drop 3,3,3~anything a LOT online. Lag blows.
Oh, tell me about it! Even against my friends with great ping, it takes me at least 2 or 3 games to get my timing adjusted for Johnny's combos, especially midscreen. Mested up my share of mimic cancels too. The timing for the delayed f3 to nutpunch is killer, but after I readjust it's no issue. So glad I use this 1 into f3 for my bnb now, because that f3 db1, f3 db1, f3 nutpunch is too much. Nearly had me giving up on the character.

Epy69zSmallBoys

No respect for Kung Jin
Oh, tell me about it! Even against my friends with great ping, it takes me at least 2 or 3 games to get my timing adjusted for Johnny's combos, especially midscreen. Mested up my share of mimic cancels too. The timing for the delayed f3 to nutpunch is killer, but after I readjust it's no issue. So glad I use this 1 into f3 for my bnb now, because that f3 db1, f3 db1, f3 nutpunch is too much. Nearly had me giving up on the character.
what exact combo are you using?