What's new

Playing with Keyboard any tips, guide ?

sam76

Noob
Ok so i got a fresh copy of MK3 for like 5 bucks with booklet from amazon blah blah. i manage to get it worked under DOSBox even the TRACKS :D , i read in instruction file under WIN95 that you could lower "Repeat Delay" and "Repeat Rate" from control panel>keyboard ,so that you'll get more precise when you performing Special moves and combos , but i still can't balance them sometimes work sometimes NOT, i can't tell whether i'm doing it fast or slow.. but most likely i do combo very very fast ! .

for godsake don't tell just get a cheap Gamepad i feel like awkward with it lol casue i always tend to play with keyboard since MK 1 and i also use my RIGHT hand for Movement ! i knew its odd thing too but works for me :D

So yeah i need help with that .

dreemernj

Ambassador
Are you using Windows MK3 or DOS MK3? Does it have a 3D looking cube in the beginning to pick Kombat, Options, Sound, stuff like that?

The Windows and DOS versions are completely different versions.

sam76

Noob
it's the same version i bought back in 1996 the only difference is WIN95 installation has 3D interface and DOS doesn't however WIN95 still crashes under XP
i did NOT see any difference at least in my case :D

dreemernj

Ambassador
The DOS and Windows versions are all around different. The DOS version was based on MK2 for DOS and was heavily optimized for PC. The windows version is a direct port of the PSX version so it takes a bit of a graphics hit.

I don't think the key rates you were talking about should really affect gameplay. My only tip is to find a good keyboard. Most keyboards aren't suitable for fighting games because of sluggish polling rates and low limits on button presses, especially on the arrow keys. I don't know why but even really expensive logitech "gaming" keyboards will often have terrible ghosting and blocking on the arrow keys.

An easy way to test how many buttons you can press is to spread out the fingers on one hand across the letter keys. Then push down on a button with one finger, then 2, then.3 with notepad open and see how many buttons you can press before the new presses don't show up any more.

If its 6 your keyboard is pretty useable. If its like 3 or 4 you're out of luck.

Lol, I played a friend on zBattle and I only could use kb to play cause I didn't have my pad one time; my setup was :

A = Left
S = Down
D = Right
W = Up
0 = Run
7 = HP
4 = LP
8 = HK
5 = LK
6 = BLK

Though I couldn't play as H. Smoke, nor perform some things such as BLK+RUN+LP+Down, I still managed to pull off a pretty stable battle. ^_^

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
http://www.ultimatemk.com/tempmatt/umk3kb.bmp

That's the set up I use. On the old PS2 Dell keyboard this format works great. This can be modified for Capcom games.

For some reason on the new slim USB KB I got with my new computer, the directions don't work as well and there is locking on it occassionally. I noticed moreso in Capcom games, specifically the tiger knee motion is very tough to do, and I can almost never do 360s on it either. I think I've done one 720 since I got it, which means I can't use Hugo in SF3 anymore until I can find a new KB. However, it is easier on this keyboard to press 3P or 3K in Capcom games using individual keys than it is on the older PS2 one. Weird.

sam76

Noob
it seems that i'm the only one who using my RIGHT HAND for Directions lol

as for the keyboard i use Logitech Nevigator keyboard its very good but not the best , thus i'm planing upgrade to razer tarantula regarding to what i've heard it holds up to 10 keys simultaneous

anyway my setting like this :

numeric arrows for Directions (up,down,left ,right)

5 which is in the center (BLK)

Z (HP)
X (LP)
C (HK)
V (LK) Sometimes SPACE
D (Run)

this setting i use since MK3 , generally for games like MK and football i use either arrows or numeric

but i wonders if this may cause ghosting or the limitation

if i'm going to switch to WASD How much time do you think guys i will get used to it :shock: :lol:

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I only know a few people who use the right hand for directions, if you want to play that way, I can't really help you much.

sam76 said:
if i'm going to switch to WASD How much time do you think guys i will get used to it :shock: :lol:

It shouldn't take long, I mean in some FPS games you have to use WSAD to move and stuff, counter strike, doom.. etc.. all that stuff :lol:

IMO, WSAD for direction is the best, so do it.

Shit... double-posted o well I got another idea..

"Let's not forget guys... left hand was made for directions... and the right hand for buttons!"

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Maybe you should just try playing on a gamepad first to get the concept of using the left hand for directions down, since it would force you to do that. Then when you have coordinated your brain to that method, try it on the KB.

RoGE

Noob
sam76 said:
it seems that i'm the only one who using my RIGHT HAND for Directions lol

as for the keyboard i use Logitech Nevigator keyboard its very good but not the best , thus i'm planing upgrade to razer tarantula regarding to what i've heard it holds up to 10 keys simultaneous

anyway my setting like this :

numeric arrows for Directions (up,down,left ,right)

5 which is in the center (BLK)

Z (HP)
X (LP)
C (HK)
V (LK) Sometimes SPACE
D (Run)

this setting i use since MK3 , generally for games like MK and football i use either arrows or numeric

but i wonders if this may cause ghosting or the limitation

I use right hand controls, but I use the regular arrow keys and ASDZXC