What's new

Playing in my first live tournament today. Looking for Sage advice.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
Thread title says it all. My gamestop is hosting a tournament today and I'm excited to play in it. I grew up in rural Nebraska so there wasn't a live community. This is something I've wanted to do since childhood. I'm a bit concerned about a couple silly things though;

1. The location is going to do a live vote to see if open or tournament variations are going to be used. I think that might cause some problems since tournament variations aren't available in the game by default. The organizers seam a bit unfamiliar with the game.

2. I play an annoying zone and spacing fighting style. I know the reactions I illicit online, and bit worried about people misbehaving in person.

3. Read about Smash communities having major body odor problems (not a shot at that community, google it). Worried about having to play against some smelly dude.

Like I said just nervous worries, but I'm going into it with a fun and positive outlook. Was just wandering how to handle some of these concerns and pick up any other last minute advice.

I got a pool of:
Main: Jade
Rushdown: Jacqui
Zoning: Cetrion
Balanced: Scorpion

So mostly Jade but a couple others I can go to if I need to monkey wrench somebody. So excited!

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Relax, don't overthink, play like you would if you were in your living room so try to drown out the noise around and just focus on what you're doing.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
Very nice! I lost my first match... lol. Then again, this was opening night. My Kollector would have said differently now.
There was a small pool (8). 3 were totally casual. 2 were seasoned fighting game players but new to MK, and the other 2 guys were seasoned MK players who had played live before. I was pretty happy with where I landed. I really should have taken a round off the top guy but I froze up and dropped a big life lead.