What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero Played MKX at Games14 - my thoughts (on Sub specifically + general info)

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
@loogie, when you say the d3/d4's are grounded pokes... can you clarify a bit? Like, they don't even duck down at all like they did in MK9 (for Sub-Zero, at least)? And you said his d4 still has decent range, so does he just like stomp the ground out in front of him or something? I'm just having trouble visualizing this is all.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Ed Boon said something on Twitter about this.
"@rayf_williams @noobde 2 of my friends played Mortal Kombat X in a video game event in Dubai & now I'm jealous EB: Dubai? I think they lie."

Not sure if he is joking, not sure how to link twitter here.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>&quot;<a href="https://twitter.com/rayf_williams">@rayf_williams</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/noobde">@noobde</a> 2 of my friends played Mortal Kombat X in a video game event in Dubai &amp; now I&#39;m jealous EB: Dubai? I think they lie.</p>&mdash; Ed Boon (@noobde) <a href="https://twitter.com/noobde/status/510451526293131264">September 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
It rhymes.

loogie

Noob
@loogie, when you say the d3/d4's are grounded pokes... can you clarify a bit? Like, they don't even duck down at all like they did in MK9 (for Sub-Zero, at least)? And you said his d4 still has decent range, so does he just like stomp the ground out in front of him or something? I'm just having trouble visualizing this is all.
Sorry for that, i'll explain further:
Mk9 sub's d4 had his leg sticking out above ground, right?
Mkx sub's d4 has it grounded, leg touching ground when poking. Much like his d3 from mk9.
His d3 in mkx has no ducking animation, looks like Quan's b3 from mk9...

Last edited:

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Sorry for that, i'll explain further:
Mk9 sub's d4 had his leg stocking out above ground, right?
Mkx sub's d4 has it grounded, leg touching ground when poking. Much like his d3 from mk9.
His d3 in mkx has no ducking animation, looks like Quan's b3 from mk9...
Ah, ok that makes way more sense lol, thank you :)

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
D3 sounds peculiar. So you're crouching down, you hit 3, and then Sub-Zero stands up the perform Quan's b3?

Sounds so awkward on paper.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
D3 sounds peculiar. So you're crouching down, you hit 3, and then Sub-Zero stands up the perform Quan's b3?

Sounds so awkward on paper.
To me it sounds like d3 will be that thing that will combo with fastest specials, providing that universal fast low starter people keep talking about in the context of "comboing off pokes". It only makes sense that it is reported to have short reach and lack evasion properties (and if you think about it, it'll probably be unsafe to try to launch people like that unless you have some safe launching special).

That said, I don't have enough information on the matter, I don't even know if all d3 are like that, or how many characters can have specials fast enough / cancel advantage big enough to actually pull such combo off.