What's new

Pinpointing the proper timing for inputs off a dive-kick

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
As a lot of you may know, I've mained Sonya with an unbreakable level of loyalty. It's no different in MK9. I have played tons of fights with her, yet there's still a few factors that cause me irritation.

One such factor is being able to input 2 1 off a dive-kick (or d4 from the air for clarification) and then a cartwheel so as to get a combo going, but usually when I attempt this, one of these outcomes happen:

1. I only get 2, but not 1, and the cartwheel follows too late.

2. Only the 1 registers. Nothing else.

I've resorted to just using 4 after a dive-kick before the cartwheel to make up for this, but I definitely want to get the timing for the 2 1 down as it does more damage and is therefore more rewarding. So the question to the Sonya community is this:

Do you guys have accurate estimates on when the best time is to start inputting 2 1 cartwheel off a dive-kick so as to ensure it works successfully?

NOTE: If there already is a thread that answers this question, my apologies for the duplicate thread.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
You just need to buffer 2, 1 slowly during the dive kick animation. If you commit to a dive kick 2, 1 xx cartwheel should be buffered every time. If the DK is blocked nothing comes out, if it lands you got the beginning of a combo.

Its the awkward buffer between the b21f2 that always gets me due because of rings, just slow it down but make everything flow together like any string in MK.

Also, the 21 seems (to me anyway) to be one of the faster strings, a lot of times I was doing it too slow. I just reminded myself to do it faster than it seemed like I should and that worked well until it became natural.

Justice

Noob
I'm not sure if this will help you, but when I was practicing DK>2>:x I found for me that just inputting it as a normal kombo string worked. I also do the divekick fairly late but with it's speed, it may not matter.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
A great way i found to do this is based on commitment to dive kicks, as you are NEVER going to do a naked dive kick, as when it blocks/misses you arent going to see the string anyway.

Input for divekick in her movelist should look like : D4,2,1 (in air)

Dont wait for anything, you need to buffer it, but that in general terms for this just means do it straight away and pretty fast, the time it takes for a divekick to hit from your position in the air is plenty enough for the Buffer to happen, this isnt marvel with its super jumps, a divekick is either going to connect straight away or not connect at all. This is true for instant divekicks too, but it looks to the untrained eye like mashing. But its not, just do all 3 inputs and pretend that NRS made it that way!

For the Cartwheel i usually wait until i see the 2,1 coming out on my enemy, and then i start to "cancel" the punches with the cartwheel.

I by no means claim this to be the best way, if atall viable (somebody might have a much much better way of doing it) but this has proven successful for me, so i stick by it, any feedback after youve tried this would be good, especially if you still have problems because that probably just means i explained it terribly! Cheers!

Slego

The Saltan of Salt
Practice only hitting 4 ONCE per dive kick attempt, and make sure you have down buffered to avoid 4d4s. This seems like a no-brainer, but I had to focus on doing it for awhile.

Make d421 your input, do not try and confirm it, you'll find you can easily confirm the direction of Kartwheel, even if it autocorrects backwards.

I use what Sao mentioned.

I try to use the Dive-Kick sparingly in frame-trap situations once I feel like i've conditioned my opponent to counter-poke.

Do the Dive-Kick and buffer the 2,1 xx Cartwheel while still in the air/landing. Slow down the motion between the 2 and the 1.

Get used to doing instant dive kicks, and only use forward jumps and back jumps with them. Neutral jump dive-kicks like to act weird.

From different heights, you have to slow down the input for the 2,1 xx Cartwheel right as you are about to land. Get the instant one down and you should be good to go for the most part.

As Sao and others have mentioned, you really want to get used to buffering the whole string whenever you dive-kick. Think of dive-kick as a commitment, it is either going to land or you're going to bounce off. Dive-kick is a risk, so don't abuse it.

Also get comfortable with Sonya's JIP 114 xx ms options, you can 2-in-1 hit-confirm this into a b2 launcher or go into somewhat of a a 50/50 game.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm hitting Training Mode with her again right now so as to commit the motions to muscle memory. I also am looking to learn how to zone with her, as I'm often hearing that Sonya makes for a great zoner...at first I was skeptical about that, 'cuz her Sonic Rings by themselves don't look like they will do much. I'm hoping there's some truth to that.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Zoning, yes. Keep away, No. Dont confuse the two. You can control space very well with rings and normals like f4, and your MS makes every player thing twice when approaching. Really though her control comes from people respecting what you can do, not you actually doing it.

If they think youre going to dive kick them for 40% they are going to block when ever you jump at them, use that to gain "safe jumps" from pretty much anything, unless ofc your opponent is great with anti airs, or has a special that dissallows you to jump in (spins etc).

Dont dive kick a blocking opponent, use the threat of the dive kick to gain a safe jip which means you jail your opponent into a blocked string > Ms mixup (MS can cancel into a cross over/jip leaving you back in the same situation again just with more meter and a bit of chip done so theres one option to go for).

Theres about 100 different things you can do from a MS, so every time you enter it your opponent really does have to think on their toes, so use this as a core for your game and try your best not to abuse the dive kick and you should be fine!

bipolar_shango

" Bros before Hoes"
I used to have this problem b4(thought it was input bug). The best way to get your combo off a divekick (for me at least) is to input the 2 1 as fast as possible(buffer it), then wait "2 1" animation to come out on screen before you input the cartwheel. This helps a lot when the divekick goes to the wrong side. This gives you enough time to input the correct direction for the cartwheel.