What's new

Pimp My Practice Mode

Wombat

Noob
PIMP MY PRACTICE MODE
or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Playing Alone

This guide has the purpose of improving your experience with MK9's Practice Mode. Let's face it - the vanilla version is pretty bad and doesn't allow for much aside from combo practice if you don't have a very patient buddy - and even then there's no guarantee that his execution will be 100% perfect all the time. However, there is a possibility that the days of the majority of our community being stuck with this incomplete tool will be over soon, because I'm going to propose an inexpensive solution that allows you to use input macros instead of the default AI settings.

What you will need is:
- a PSP with CFW installed (WARNING: installing CFW without proper care may result in permament damage to your PSP)
- MacroFire v3.2.9 PSP plugin
- FuSa GamePad v0.3 PSP app
- a PS3 (might work with X-360, since FuSa can be used with a PC - could someone please confirm this for me?)

Get the plugin and app here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/qdhevn

First, you need to install the MacroFire plugin. To do that, place macrofire.ini, reptiledash.ini and macrofire.prx in your ms0/SEPLUGINS directory and add "ms0:/seplugins/macrofire.prx 1" to the game.txt file that should already be there. If either the directory or game.txt aren't there, just create them. Once you're done, boot your PSP in Recovery Mode (on most CFWs I believe it's enough to press select in the main menu and choose the RM option) and enable the plugin.

Next, place FuSa GamePad directory in ms0/PSP/GAME and edit config.ini if you want to mess around with the default button config. Once you're done with setting FuSa up, disconnect the PSP from your PC and launch the app. If you connect it to the PS3 via a USB cable when the app is running, the PSP is going to act like a normal Dual Shock controller and its screen will turn black after a while - when you disconnect the cable, it starts up again. To quit the app, just press the PS button when disconnected and follow the on-screen instructions. Anyway, before you hook it up, press + and - at the same time (the sound volume buttons) to enter the MacroFire menu. Turn the MF engine on and proceed to the Macro settings menu. Add yourself a macro and choose load. Now browse to seplugins directory and load reptiledash.ini (select with X, confirm with start). You're almost there. In the Control submenu, choose run and connect the PSP to your PS3 with MK9 running in Practice Mode, your main character vs Reptile. Now all you need to do is set the practice dummy control to human and voilla - you should be set against Reptile doing his elbow dash in 5 second intervals and blocking immediately after he connects. You know the drill, practice your mad punishing skills for as long as you want. When you're done, just disconnect the USB cable and press + and - again to load another macro.

The possibilities this offers seem to be almost endless - you can make the dummy perform any blockstring, special move, jumping attack etc. The only downside is you can't really randomize the moment the attack starts unless there's some other dude pressing the button for you - same goes for making the dummy use different options etc. You can edit your macros on the flight, you can also edit them with Notepad or some other text editor when the PSP is connected to your PC. The only serious limitation I see as of now is the fact that the input isn't contextual, so the aforementioned Reptile Dash becomes f,b+2 should you and the dummy switch sides. Please note that this is some really basic stuff, I'm not going to explain every function of MacroFire here because the program is very easy to use and pretty intuitive. I really hope people post some interesting macros in this thread, so that we can all share the knowledge and build a library of common stuff so that in a month when you want to start using this method it all becomes a matter of downloading macros instead of writing them yourself. For people who want to contribute, just remember to use the "Release button" command in your macros and put some sensible delays because the game goes dumb when there's too much shit being pressed too fast (delay is measured in miliseconds, ~16.7ms = 1 frame, I used Delay=18 just to stay on the safe side).

And yes, I did it all just to provide us with the means of scientifically investigating the fabled input bug :yeradick:

Wombat

Noob
Please do note that I've just started messing around with this stuff, so far I've got some basic things like special moves and 3-hit strings right, but with stuff like IAGB or NDC either the timing is very strict and I'm putting the delays wrong, or the input bug is just friggin' outrageous... so the more people try this out, the faster we'll know how to use it properly :) Anyway I'm going to update the first post with anything that is discovered.

EDIT: got a working f+32 NDC loop and IAGB, it seems that even though the game receives input with the exact same friggin timing there are some inconsistencies - the "tighter" (ie. faster, with less time wasted between attacks) I want the blockstring or IAGB barrage to be, the less consistent it becomes. This shit is just mind boggling :(

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Looking forward to test this out. You should record some video footage, it will draw more attention.
Good work though!