What's new

Question Pick Bans in fighting games

Would you like pick/bans in a fighting game??

• yes

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • no

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • ham sandwich

Votes: 34 46.6%

• Total voters
So as you all know, there are games like league of legends / dota, mobas, that use pick/bans in tournament. it's 5v5 in these games and typically teams ban 3 characters each. Personally, i would absolutely love pick/bans in a fighting game. The first game that it comes to mind in would be marvel vs capcom 2/3. It best suits this game, because it would force players to adapt on the fly and develop new strategies in their team chemistry. It's another level of strategy.
I could imagine being able to ban 2 characters each, and either a double blind pick in mk9/inj or alternating 1st second pick in these games. Imagine being able to ban both sonya and kabal, in mk9, the strategy, it would force players to learn multiple playstyles and adapt to matchups and think cleverly. Personally it would be way more fun to me.

----- on a side note----- Not only do i think these are true, but i think fighting games need to look at ability cooldowns more often. traits were a start, but having multiple ablities with cooldowns really allows you to balance and add elements, reduce repitition, but also give special powers which would normally be op or spam, but have to be thought about because they can only be used so frequently.

idk, i just really like strategy, and think it could be added to fighting games when you look at how successful these mobas are.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Hell no, this doesnt further the meta at all, it restricts it. Instead of having to adapt yourself you can just say "nah fuck that I'll just ban them from playing that character, that way I don't have to learn the match up myself." It's one of the main reason I despise esports games in general, banning is for cowards who can't adapt in the first place and it has no place in fighting games imo. It also fucks over character loyalists who put in all their work into one character in order to play them as best as they can and then the opponent is able to deny all that instantly because they don't feel like learning the match up. It lowers the overall level of play because it makes it so the players aren't able to play with the character they are best with.

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
No. I don't think it would be fair for everyone. There are offline and online competitors that stick to a single character or just a couple of them because they don't have as much time in their hands to master the whole cast like others do. Doing what you're suggesting would greatly hurt the number of entrants at tournaments.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I think the big difference with mobas and fighters is that:
  • In MOBAs characters barely differ in basic attacks and only have 4 unique attacks. Fighting game characters differ from every button press.
  • The pick/ban stage not only takes into account a player's best characters but also team comps on both sides.
  • That being said, fighters being primarily 1v1 would just knock out one bad MU to go to the next one. Very similar to when someone suggest a Street Fighter tournament without projectiles. Then who is going to keep the grapplers or other characters with great normals in check.
I personally think it's better this way. Go to training mode and try to develop the game as far as possible. Then hope for some patches.

Ryncage

Noob
While one trick ponies are less impressive than a player who is skilled across multiple characters, pickbans in a fighting game would just be imbalanced and dull.
The game would be devoid of skill, and fall more in line with deception and tricking your opponent with a mu or character they didnt expect you to be good at. But even then, as you progress up the ladder of a tourney, people who just ban the characters you played most in the finals and it just wouldnt be fun to watch. The gameplay would be far from high level.

Desperdicio

Tell me, do you bleed?
This would be awful with how much time and dedication has to go into picking a main in an FG. People have explored it in side events and outside of casual side things it's just not fun.
Hell no, this doesnt further the meta at all, it restricts it. Instead of having to adapt yourself you can just say "nah fuck that I'll just ban them from playing that character, that way I don't have to learn the match up myself." It's one of the main reason I despise esports games in general, banning is for cowards who can't adapt in the first place and it has no place in fighting games imo. It also fucks over character loyalists who put in all their work into one character in order to play them as best as they can and then the opponent is able to deny all that instantly because they don't feel like learning the match up. It lowers the overall level of play because it makes it so the players aren't able to play with the character they are best with.
This. And imagine the excuses: there are already tons of them, now you'd have PL saying that he would've mopped your ass if he had been allowed to play Tempest Kung Lao.

Absolutely not. You just ban your opponent's main, and end up fighting each other with characters you're less than comfortable with, lowering the meta, and lowering the level of play.
which forces you to adapt quickly and learn new characters faster.

Schuyler

Noob
No. Unless a character is super broken that no one else has a chance then no. If I spend all my time working on cassie and someone bans my cassie then im fucked. That would fuck over character loyalist. Learn the matchup banning the character would take the easy way out. This wouldn't be a good idea.

Schuyler

Noob
This. And imagine the excuses: there are already tons of them, now you'd have PL saying that he would've mopped your ass if he had been allowed to play Tempest Kung Lao.
I feel those type of excuses would come form anyone. Even low tier heros. Literately the only people who this would be good for is some of the yomi guys especially burger king cause they play multiple characters.

Schuyler

Noob
I feel those type of excuses would come form anyone. Even low tier heros. Literately the only people who this would be good for is some of the yomi guys especially burger king cause they play multiple characters.