What's new

Patch 1.14 Notes [Jan 21st 2020] (PS4/XB1)

Patch notes:

General Gameplay Adjustments

• Move list corrections
  • Improvements to AI logic
  • Fixed issues with some augments not working correctly
  • Fixed issue with using random select in online matches causing improper display of abilities and variation name
  • Fixed several sources of online desyncs
  • Armor on Fatal Blow attacks now start up in 8 frames (up from 5)
  • Fatal Blow attacks for all characters except Cassie Cage can no longer hit opponent from behind
  • Ducking Front Punch, Ducking Front Kick, & Ducking Back Kick cannot be cancelled into a special move when Flawless Blocked
  • Jump Back Punch has 5 less frames of blockstun on block and Flawless Block
  • Jump Front Punch and Back Punch attacks can no longer be cancelled into air special moves when Flawless Blocked
  • Jump Front Punch and Back Punch cannot be cancelled into normal attacks or ground special moves upon landing when Flawless Blocked
  • Jump Kick attacks have slightly increased damage scaling to match Jump Punch attacks and 4 more frames of recovery when blocked
  • Jump Kick attacks can no longer be cancelled into air special moves when Flawless Blocked
  • Jump Kick attacks can no longer be cancelled into grounded special moves upon landing when blocked or Flawless Blocked
  • Characters that have Escape Failed Krushing Blows on both Toward and Back throws can now only use one throw Krushing Blow per match
  • Fixed an issue that could cause incorrect victim regions for several frames if the character went from ducking to standing and did no further inputs with precise timing
  • Fixed rare issue that could cause a character to get hit by a high projectile if they are duck blocking and release block with precise timing
  • Fixed issue with defensive bar not refilling at the correct rate when a round ends while one bar has been destroyed by "Chip Avoided" and the second bar is not full
  • Added several new Brutalities for players to discover
Kombat League / Online

• Minor online stability improvements
  • Fixed several rare online desync causes
Krypt

• Added new Nether Forge Recipes for players to discover
Towers of Time

• Added support for new upcoming Holiday Towers
Stage Specific Adjustments

• Shirai Ryu Fire Garden - Fixed issue that allowed stone toss interaction in the left corner to be used while facing the corner
  • Special Forces Desert Command - Fixed issue with cactus needles lingering at an incorrect location after uppercut brutality is performed
  • Kronika's Hour Glass - In Versus Mode, Tournament Mode & 1v1 Online Modes, this Arena will now select from a random list of Background Interactions to be used
  • Chaotian Age - In Versus Mode, Tournament Mode & 1v1 Online Modes, this Arena will now select from a random list of Background Interactions to be used
  • Prehistoric Age - In Versus Mode, Tournament Mode & 1v1 Online Modes, this Arena will now select from a random list of Background Interactions to be used
  • The Kronika's Hour Glass, Chaotian Age, and Prehistoric Age Arenas are no longer disabled by default in Tournament Mode
Character Specific Adjustments

• Cetrion - Far H2 P0rt now costs 2 bars of Defensive Gauge (up from 1)
  • Cetrion - The visual effects of Hell's Wrath when Amplified now disappear properly when it is projectile destroyed
  • D'Vorah - Fixed a rare camera issue during the Fatal Blow cinematic while on the right side on Kharon's Ship
  • Erron Black - Adjusted the hit region of Quick Shot (Getup / Block Attack Up + Back Punch)
  • Erron Black - Bounty Bash (Back Punch) now recovers 3 frames faster on block
  • Erron Black - Deal In Lead (Back Punch, Front Punch) now has 5 more frames of blockstun and 5 more recovery frames slower on block
  • Frost - Cryogenic Crown now does 3 damage (up from 1), has decreased combo damage scaling, and has 2 more active frames
  • Geras - Titan Charge (Getup / Block Attack Up + Back Punch) now has 9 startup frames (up from 6)
  • Geras - Time Splash (Jump Down + Back Punch) now has 5 less frames of blockstun
  • Geras - The Deathless Giant (Towards + Back Punch, Front Punch) now has 4 more frames of hit advantage, 5 less frames of recovery on hit, and its cancel frame occurs 1 frame later
  • Geras - Matter Of Time (Towards + Back Punch, Front Punch, Back Punch) now has 25 startup frames (up from 20) and recovers 3 frames slower
  • Geras - Sand Trap and Quick Sand causes 5 less frames of blockstun when it is Flawless Blocked
  • Geras - Temporal Advantage hit region slightly adjusted when opponent is in a combo
  • Jacqui Briggs - Fixed an issue with several Kombo Attacks that allowed them to be cancelled into Wall of Justice (Fatal Blow) during their first 3 startup frames
  • Jade - Heaven's Heel (Getup / Block Attack Up + Back Punch) and it has 1 less recovery frame and had its hit region slightly adjusted
  • Johnny Cage - High Forceball & Low Forceball now have 11 startup frames (up from 9)
  • Johnny Cage - Rise And Shine (Getup / Block Attack Up + Back Punch) now has 9 startup frames (up from 7)
  • Kitana - Adjusted the hit region of Fanning Out (Getup / Block Attack Up + Back Punch)
  • Kitana - Purge The Weak (Away + Front Punch, Back Kick) now hits mid
  • Kitana - Fixed an issue with several Kombo Attacks that allowed them to be cancelled into Deadly Game (Fatal Blow) during their first 3 startup frames
  • Kotal Kahn - Mehtizquia Cut now has 2 more active frames, 3 less recovery frames, and causes 5 more frames of blockstun with increased pushback when not Flawless Blocked
  • Kotal Kahn - Fixed rare issue that could cause Kotal Kahn to move quickly across the screen if he cancelled an attack into Coatl Parry with precise timing while in close proximity to an opponent performing a Breakaway
  • Kung Lao - Possessed Hat now throws two projectiles at the opponent
  • Noob - Adjusted the hit region of Wraith Boot (Getup / Block Attack Up + Front Kick)
  • Skarlet - Adjusted the hit region of Bloody Boots (Getup / Block Attack Up + Back Punch)
  • Skarlet - Bloodport Far now costs 2 bars of Defensive Gauge (up from 1)
  • Skarlet - Fixed a rare camera issue when successfully parrying an attack with Dagger Dance
  • Skarlet - Fixed a rare issue that could cause Skarlet to be unable to duck Sindel's Back It Up (Away + Front Kick, Back Kick, Back Punch) high attack in certain circumstances
  • Sub-Zero - Adjusted the hit region of Chilled Heel (Getup / Block Attack Up + Front Kick)
  • Shang Tsung - Screaming Soul Amplify is now correctly affected by projectile destroying moves
  • Shang Tsung - Fixed issue with being unable to perform Spare Time or Lost Time while morphed into Geras after the first round
  • Sindel - Fixed an issue with several Kombo Attacks that allowed them to be cancelled into Edenian Royal Decree (Fatal Blow) during their first 3 startup frames
  • Sindel - Low Star Screamer Amplify is now correctly affected by projectile destroying moves
  • Terminator - Fixed an issue with several Kombo Attacks that allowed them to be cancelled into Chill Out (Fatal Blow) during their first 3 startup frames
  • Terminator - AI will now correctly use "Terminate" ability

Source: https://mortalkombatgamessupport.wbgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041627554-Official-MK11-PS4-XB1-Patch-Notes-01-21-20

Last edited:

Comments

I love the flawless block and jump attack changes. Not sure if I'll be using a lot of that stuff but I feel like that's the hype kind of shit you want to see in tournament play, a little more depth for those with the skills to pull it off.

Spellmaster nerf :eek:

What problem does the armor startup bump to 8f solve or seek to address? I get people don't want Fatal Blows to even be a thing but I don't see what the angle is in it for anyone. I'm kind of in the camp that thinks if you meaty so badly you eat a wake up FB, or make the wrong read, then you probably deserve it. I don't know what the average gap size is, but it would constrict what you slip into. Again, if someone knows there is a gap and you know they have fatal then who's fault is it if you get popped, and is it a problem?

It doesn't really address the larger issue with it being a "why not?" move outside of just making them less useful if someone is out to stuff you. Make them easier to punish. Make them regenerate between rounds not during (I know someone is screaming never regenerate!!!). Don't make them harder or flakier to use, make the player have to ration the thing in relation to it's power, or deal with a reality that they missed and got hammered. I'm also betting getting stuffed being the punishment point is way more frustrating then getting clean punished after a failed attempt. People already RQ all day.

I will be needing to look at this Kitana U2 business. Playing her and Frost was confusing to jump between for flawless blocking. K's u2 had to be the worst, most useless move in the game until today.
It was BS when, for example, your opponent does an advancing mid or something that would leave them -4 or -6 on block. What would they do? Either mash a poke or take advantage of pre patch armor to counter your counterpoke or counter move.

It was BS when, for example, your opponent does an advancing mid or something that would leave them -4 or -6 on block. What would they do? Either mash a poke or take advantage of pre patch armor to counter your counterpoke or counter move.
I guess. Pretty sure I've done that a few times, but It's not like people are afraid to keep hitting buttons when they are -7. Knowing when and if someone is going to just let you keep pressing, or will flood every pause with their own aggression is part of the whole deal. If they were easier to punish I'd be inclined to think "yeah you do that." If I could bait one out and get them to waste it simply by blocking I'd be inclined to think that is also OK.

If it was a bump to 6 I would have just read over it. 8 is a pretty huge percentage bump.

Kick Kick too strong... Me not knowing how poke between 13f gaps.

oh and ill tell you a true story, a jax main pro player told me that jax 12 is +2 on block while its 1+ so i asked him what version of mk11 was he playing but then got banned from his twitch.

i just cant stand this community man. Its fine though Jax mains wont win shit and idiots that dont play jax or dont lab him gonna keep getting him nerfed cause they dont know how to deal with him.
Honestly tho regardless of frame data that f3 animation between f3 and f33 has a huuuuuge obvious difference (his knee buckling down). I always thought that stagger was booboo don’t know why people complain about it. Imagine if lao’s f1 animation without completing the string resulted in lao throwing his hat up his butt or something hella obvious.

Honestly tho regardless of frame data that f3 animation between f3 and f33 has a huuuuuge obvious difference (his knee buckling down). I always thought that stagger was booboo don’t know why people complain about it. Imagine if lao’s f1 animation without completing the string resulted in lao throwing his hat up his butt or something hella obvious.
exactly people dont lab. there is completly broken staggers in this game and nobody says anything about it.

Lao can full combo with ex spin, on block its just jump kick.
What other characters you play?

Besides its all about ground specials not air ones, these will come out on block.
nah it says these attacks can no longer be canceled into strings if flawless block (the way you have to buffer strings so they combo off jump punch) and also says can not cancel into air specials. So for instance if kabal wanted to do neutral jump 2 into air projectile but u flawless blocked the 2 the projectile wouldnt come out. He'd land on the ground immediatley and most likely confused lol. I wonder if you could even get a trip gaurd in a lot of these situations.

I could be wrong and patch isnt out on pc but thats how I read it.

you forgot f3 is double digits unsafe. It's not even a stagger.

nah it says these attacks can no longer be canceled into strings if flawless block (the way you have to buffer strings so they combo off jump punch) and also says can not cancel into air specials. So for instance if kabal wanted to do neutral jump 2 into air projectile but u flawless blocked the 2 the projectile wouldnt come out. He'd land on the ground immediatley and most likely confused lol. I wonder if you could even get a trip gaurd in a lot of these situations.

I could be wrong and patch isnt out on pc but thats how I read it.
Playing around with it, it's air and low pokes. Like d4 into special only works on hit or standard block. It fails on FB. Kitana's flutter game is weirder because them flawless blocking a jump in might blow up an attempt to flutter cancel. OR Highborn players won't be able to rely on air fan after sky dropping. Some of those situations you can get accidental fb's which means nobody is really ready for what it means when it happens.

My gut reaction is it won't do much but make the game feel inconsistent. I would think that the number of people that could deliberately use flawless blocking to delete their opponent's expected special cancel (that they may not even be trying to do), is going to be a pretty elite and small group. Most other people are just going to be like "why did my move not come out" because someone just happened to block in the nick of time.

It may make it harder to use low pokes to keep people back. Frost d4 into auger is a pretty frustrating wall you have to put up. A lucky fb might still create enough of an opening that someone presses forward and gets in without knowing their fb just created that opening. I feel like that would be an aggression buff and not a defensive one. Have to see how it all works out though.

Making b14 a mid mid for kitana is the best thing ever.

IM SO HAPPY OMFG
I am certain some Kitana players will still find a way to complain even though she must have received 20+ buffs by now. If she was not a top tier character before, she is now.

Also, I know most people will not shed a tear for Geras, but has he been over-normalized? The f+2,1,2 / d+1 / flawless block u+2 meta has been entirely removed. I guess he has to use New Era and Eternal more than ever before and do f+2,1 xx d,b+2 on block or hit-confirm f+2,1 xx b,f+1.

What are you Geras players thinking?

I am certain some Kitana players will still find a way to complain even though she must have received 20+ buffs by now. If she was not a top tier character before, she is now.

Also, I know most people will not shed a tear for Geras, but has he been over-normalized? The f+2,1,2 / d+1 / flawless block u+2 meta has been entirely removed. I guess he has to use New Era and Eternal more than ever before and do f+2,1 xx d,b+2 on block or hit-confirm f+2,1 xx b,f+1.

What are you Geras players thinking?
Dave what about geras is "over-normal" to you? Even with these changes to trap and whiffing on his bread an butter strings loss of splash and slower shoulder hes still better than all but 3 or 4 characters. The geras era is far from over and the farthest point from normal.

Somebody explain to me why Geras F212 is only -3 when flawless blocked, as opposed to -6 when regular blocked.
Isn't this the exact OPPOSITE of what usually happens to frame data when FBed?
Is this yet ANOTHER case is a geras nerf being a half nerf?

I agree with Cetrion costing two bars for her tp because she's already OP af, don't want to hear it. Now Raiden, this poor bastard is already restricted to his teleport(a legacy move mind you since freaking MK 1 and these boneheads give it to him in ONE variation) so hell I'm fine with it only being one bar, shit it should cost no bars in his case given his low tier status....

I hate the defensive bar for mb specials use your offensive meter thats just a extra bar
Agreed, and I hate even more how wake ups which already suck in this game cost you 2 bars of meter AND can be Flawless Blocked which is the most dumbest thing ever. A wake up is to give you space on someone near you/being aggressive but nope, instead moves stuff them out or can be FB'ed. Good job NRS, you guys haven't made good wake ups since MK 9.

Last edited:
NRS killed them too so Raiden can't even do that lol
That was fucking hilarious and I would give you a beer if I had one.

Finally Geras got nerfed. Now I can finally pick him up and use him:)
I was thinking that.
Grrr makes Eternal Geras look like WAY more fun than I was led to believe he was capable of being. Now that the guilt of him being completely dumb will be gone, maybe we'll finally hit it off.

I KNOW, however, that I am going labbing with Kitana my next day off.

That was fucking hilarious and I would give you a beer if I had one.

I was thinking that.
Grrr makes Eternal Geras look like WAY more fun than I was led to believe he was capable of being. Now that the guilt of him being completely dumb will be gone, maybe we'll finally hit it off.

I KNOW, however, that I am going labbing with Kitana my next day off.
haha thanks bud, haha. I call it how it is my man! :coffee: You rock.

Its a razor raion i got as a present for christmas if buttons are starting to go after not even a month im gonna be fucking pissed cheers bro let me know if u feel kombos dropping or block releasing randomly its so annoying getting beaten i had to turn the game off
I played some rounds yesterday and I haven't had kombos dropping other than me messing up lol. Even when practicing Flawless Blocks I haven't had any button drops/skips.

Agreed, and I hate even more how wake ups which already suck in this game cost you 2 bars of meter AND can be Flawless Blocked which is the most dumbest thing ever. A wake up is to give you space on someone near you/being aggressive but nope, instead moves stuff them out or can be FB'ed. Good job NRS, you guys haven't made good wake ups since MK 9.
Dude, if your wakeups are being read, you’re simply using the wrong one. There are plenty of options, and it’s up to you to pick smart ones based on the situation. But no option counters all wakeups.

Your opponent cannot both oki/pressure you and flawless block at the same time. So if you are mashing out u3/u2 and getting flawless blocked, that’s entirely on you.

Flawless block does nothing against delayed WU, roll, slightly delayed wakeup buttons, throw, jump, etc. So if you’re getting flawless blocked you’ve picked the wrong options, period.

This is actually the deepest wakeup system we’ve had, and it’s up to you to think and make smart choices instead of autopiloting out whatever your opponent is expecting.

lol @ people worshipping wake ups in this game....I see some people still fail to learn why MK 9 owned MK 11 in my poll :rolleyes:

Dude, if your wakeups are being read, you’re simply using the wrong one. There are plenty of options, and it’s up to you to pick smart ones based on the situation. But no option counters all wakeups.

Your opponent cannot both oki/pressure you and flawless block at the same time. So if you are mashing out u3/u2 and getting flawless blocked, that’s entirely on you.

Flawless block does nothing against delayed WU, roll, slightly delayed wakeup buttons, throw, jump, etc. So if you’re getting flawless blocked you’ve picked the wrong options, period.

This is actually the deepest wakeup system we’ve had, and it’s up to you to think and make smart choices instead of autopiloting out whatever your opponent is expecting.
Honestly, it has nothing to do with being read they just suck lol. I'm not talking about being predictable with them and getting punished. They whiff when they shouldn't they literally get stuffed when they shouldn't and they cost way too much meter. Plenty of options doesn't always mean much when the options are lackluster. I prefer Quality over Quantity. Example, other day I got knocked down with Raiden vs a Kano player and I did U3 as he did cannon ball, he his me went right thru my U3. This has also happened before with other example, I believe few months back braindead or someone on here posted him doing the same only to get hit. Rolls also suck, because 1. You can punish them at the end of the frames of the move or B. literally throw people out of them so easily, and that includes backrolls all you have to do is wavedash and throw it's not that hard thus negating the point of the roll.. I've found the best options for wake ups in this game are delaying and when they DO decide to work U3's, the rest blow.

My issue isn't with the FB on wake up as it's only happened to be twice since the games release, but the oki pressure is dumb in this game but still you should not be able to get a FB on a wake up, the whole point of a wake up is to defend against an aggressive player otherwise what's the point? MK 9's was better and I never said it had anything to do with delayed wake up. It's not really that deep, you have MORE options sure but like I said earlier. Quality over quantity....

Last edited:
I played some rounds yesterday and I haven't had kombos dropping other than me messing up lol. Even when practicing Flawless Blocks I haven't had any button drops/skips.
Cheers bro.... so it is my controller fuck sake ! Thats some coincidence it breaking on patch day i thought i was going mental for a bit 8D

Honestly, it has nothing to do with being read they just suck lol. I'm not talking about being predictable with them and getting punished. They whiff when they shouldn't they literally get stuffed when they shouldn't and they cost way too much meter. Plenty of options doesn't always mean much when the options are lackluster. I prefer Quality over Quantity. Example, other day I got knocked down with Raiden vs a Kano player and I did U3 as he did cannon ball, he his me went right thru my U3. This has also happened before with other example, I believe few months back braindead or someone on here posted him doing the same only to get hit. Rolls also suck, because 1. You can punish them at the end of the frames of the move or B. literally throw people out of them so easily, and that includes backrolls all you have to do is wavedash and throw it's not that hard thus negating the point of the roll.. I've found the best options for wake ups in this game are delaying and when they DO decide to work U3's, the rest blow.

My issue isn't with the FB on wake up as it's only happened to be twice since the games release, but the oki pressure is dumb in this game but still you should not be able to get a FB on a wake up, the whole point of a wake up is to defend against an aggressive player otherwise what's the point? MK 9's was better and I never said it had anything to do with delayed wake up. It's not really that deep, you have MORE options sure but like I said earlier. Quality over quantity....
You don’t seem to understand how the wakeup system works. If your opponent is wavedashing in to throw you, you’re free to blow them up for it. If they are waiting for your roll frames to end, then you don’t need to be rolling at all, and can just get up and do whatever you want.

U2/U3, delay and roll are meant to be used against people who are playing aggressively/trying to meaty you. If they are playing passively, then you should be taking the initiative. And if they are doing something as wildly unsafe as rolling on your wakeup, then just block and blow them up.

There’s literally an answer for everything on wakeup, it just requires you to think and make smarter choices. Better players use the meter-dependent options sparingly because they only apply to certain situations in the first place.

I don't believe the OS was intentional guys, they're not going to give every character a free OS. It would be too much even if you're good at flawless blocking jumping kicks.

I believe what NRS it's going do it's make it so that jumping kicks into special can come out on block but not on flawless block, hopefully they make jumping kicks more minus as well. Jumping kicks should be -4 and deep jumping kicks should be +2 at best when blocked or -12 / -6 when flawless blocked. That's what I would do.
Let me correct myself, jumping kicks should be neutral on block when done higher from the ground and at least +6 on block when done lower to the ground. It would be too much of a nerf for jumping kicks if it was -4 when done high from the ground because the defender would just take their turn every time. The offensive player deserves some reward and at least be able to steal a turn with a poke when successfully jumping on their opponents, even more so when their opponents allow them to do a deep jumping kick. Jumping kicks that get flawless blocked should still be -12 when done high and -6 when done lower to the ground, jump ins should be mostly done on reads and there should always be a risk of getting anti aired.