What's new

Strategy - Balanced Parrying the speedbag

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
I was just testing stuff and I started messing around with Balanced parry against Speedbag.

I don't think this is very useful, specially because almost nobody plays any of the two variations in the video so this matchup will rarely occur, but maybe it will help to develop strategies with the parry vs other strings with gaps.

Anyway, made it just for fun and curiosity, to be honest :D

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
I love using the parry but sometimes it gets me killed cause I make the wrong read and instead of using their ridiculous footsies moves, people jump, or they do a low. But I love playing Reptile with Balanced, Reflect and parry are actually useful tools in that MU.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Is parry into armor a thing people do? It seems like a thing people should do. It appears that only fast multi hitting attacks will shut that down and even then. Obviously lows too.

ismael4790

Is parry into armor a thing people do? It seems like a thing people should do. It appears that only fast multi hitting attacks will shut that down and even then. Obviously lows too.
Yeah, it's an option. For example, certain armor breaking moves, as Mileena's f1, break ex push and ex rising karma on wakeup, even if f1 is not perfectly timed.
But wakeup parry into exrisingkarma (or expush for more safety) can beat it if Mileena does not time f1 well.

What sucks about this parry is that it's a huge risk to use it vs characters that have a string involving a low. For example, in the case of Cage, he has 113. In that situation parrying one or two hits and then doing an armor would be a better choice.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
It's the worst parry in the game, worst start up and worst pay off.
Sonya's EX parry is 6 frames and leads to a 40% full combo, yea, SONYA, not Commando, not a defensive character, S O N Y A.

ismael4790

It's the worst parry in the game, worst start up and worst pay off.
Sonya's EX parry is 6 frames and leads to a 40% full combo, yea, SONYA, not Commando, not a defensive character, S O N Y A.
Kenshi's parry should have 6 frames of startup I think, yes. Also ex version (which as a reflect has a special property, the healing) should also have a special property up close, for example parrying lows or doing an automatic parry animation like Flame Fist or Assassin parry. Now ex parry does nothing extra up close.

Also, I didn't mention it in the video, but canceling the parry into a push would eliminate the scenario where Cage neutral ducks and punishes, but if the push is blocked...-15 boyz xD

coconutshrimp

Kenshi's parry should have 6 frames of startup I think, yes. Also ex version (which as a reflect has a special property, the healing) should also have a special property up close, for example parrying lows or doing an automatic parry animation like Flame Fist or Assassin parry. Now ex parry does nothing extra up close.

Also, I didn't mention it in the video, but canceling the parry into a push would eliminate the scenario where Cage neutral ducks and punishes, but if the push is blocked...-15 boyz xD
EX Parry does nothing extra but they did give an extra property to EX Reflect, after a successful EX Reflect you can cancel into a special as if you parried something. imo Reflect should have this normally to make Kenshi an effective counter zoner/zoner. And EX Parry should at least give health back for each EX Parry, that is after all why you use it in the first place.

Shaikhuzzaman

magicmeerkatman
I was just testing stuff and I started messing around with Balanced parry against Speedbag.

I don't think this is very useful, specially because almost nobody plays any of the two variations in the video so this matchup will rarely occur, but maybe it will help to develop strategies with the parry vs other strings with gaps.

Anyway, made it just for fun and curiosity, to be honest :D

Lol one of my friends uses fusticuffs I'm gonna try it in a game

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
I tried Sonya's parry between B1212 gaps but it fails
Parries are shit in this game. What's the point of having a parry when they're too SLOW to interrupt most gaps in strings? (we have to use universal options armor or backdash)

ismael4790

Lol one of my friends uses fisticuffs I'm gonna try it in a game
Ironically, I actually think Fisticuffs works very well vs Balanced. Might be the best Cage choice for this matchup, at least on par with A-List.
The other two variations also win Balanced for sure, but A-List and Stunt Double both have certain problems in this matchup that Fisticuffs doesn't have.

But who cares, nobody uses Balanced, no need to counter xD

I tried Sonya's parry between B1212 gaps but it fails
Parries are shit in this game. What's the point of having a parry when they're too SLOW to interrupt most gaps in strings? (we have to use universal options armor or backdash)
Probably Sonya can parry through other strings with wider gaps, I have no idea, but yeah, parries suck in general. They are risky and usually require a hard read.

Last edited:

coconutshrimp

All parries need to be sped up to Kotal EX Parry speed in order to be useful for interrupting gaps. This gives characters like Blood God or Sun God Kotal, or Commando Kano, or Balanced and Kenjutsu Kenshi have parries a unique way to punish gaps, yes it's a read so if you're wrong you're getting punish like you would for an armor read, it definitely improves meter building for these characters and helps buff their defensive game