What's new

Video/Tutorial - Balanced Parry Power: A Kenshi combo video

ando1184

Noob
Hi guys, I originally wanted to combine this video and the other one about balanced' issues together in one thread, but the other vid was more priority since it relates to his real problems. Anyway, I made this to showcase his parry (with balanced since that's the only variation I play). I think it's a good tool and very effective when you learn how to best use it. It's not nearly as user friendly as Kotal or Kano's but I believe it's still pretty good to say the least. So I hope you guys like it :). @Tim Static, @Pig Of The Hut @coconutshrimp @ismael4790 @all other kenshis

Shout outs to @EGP Wonder_Chef for the ex push gimmicks and @YOMI REO for the ex tele flurry tech in the corner ideas.

Last edited:

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Cool stuff!

Parry helps in some matchups, but the vid makes it look better than it actually is at some moments (I wonder who will be the first commenting some kind of "hey maybe Balanced does not need buffs" xD).

Ex parry is completely useless up close, by the way, they should give it a purpose. And both regular and ex parry should have slightly faster startup. Also maybe a temporary damage buff for each successful parry would be fair: considering that it often requires a jedi read, it should be rewarded.

ando1184

Noob
Cool stuff!

Parry helps in some matchups, but the vid makes it look better than it actually is at some moments (I wonder who will be the first commenting some kind of "hey maybe Balanced does not need buffs" xD).

Ex parry is completely useless up close, by the way, they should give it a purpose. And both regular and ex parry should have slightly faster startup. Also maybe a temporary damage buff for each successful parry would be fair: considering that it often requires a jedi read, it should be rewarded.
I agree, but ex parry does help up close in unique scenarios only. For example I showed tempest Lao with hat spin on, if he teleports you can do regular parry and still combo him bc he becomes airborn but if he runs up to try and armor break you with the d4 then you have to use ex parry so you can special cancel afterwards. But like I said its for unique scenarios only (matchup specific).

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
This is all pretty cool stuff, but again like I've stressed before, and let's try to not let this devolve into Kotal parry has this so we must also get this this time, Kenshi parry is dookie.

Kenshi parry needs faster startup to make it more of an effective parry and so it can be used as an alternative wakeup option like a lot of characters with Parry's have. This will make it so that the opponent has to be more on point with their meatys or they gon get blown up. As it stands Kenshi's parry is a bit too slow to be used in the manor that you need to use it for.

However EX Reflect is very useful for certain MUs and EX Reflect only needs one change and that's the health you gain should be equivalent to the damage output of the projectile absorbed.

EX Parry needs to gain health for every successful parry, in the EX Parries case, at least 5% for each parry. Either that or you make it get a significant damage buff ala Loyal parry that stacks per EX Parry.

Nice showing of the parry though. My fav MUs to parry are Reptile, Goro, and any other character that doesn't really use their low options that much.

ando1184

Noob
This is all pretty cool stuff, but again like I've stressed before, and let's try to not let this devolve into Kotal parry has this so we must also get this this time, Kenshi parry is dookie.

Kenshi parry needs faster startup to make it more of an effective parry and so it can be used as an alternative wakeup option like a lot of characters with Parry's have. This will make it so that the opponent has to be more on point with their meatys or they gon get blown up. As it stands Kenshi's parry is a bit too slow to be used in the manor that you need to use it for.

However EX Reflect is very useful for certain MUs and EX Reflect only needs one change and that's the health you gain should be equivalent to the damage output of the projectile absorbed.

EX Parry needs to gain health for every successful parry, in the EX Parries case, at least 5% for each parry. Either that or you make it get a significant damage buff ala Loyal parry that stacks per EX Parry.

Nice showing of the parry though. My fav MUs to parry are Reptile, Goro, and any other character that doesn't really use their low options that much.
Those would be some nice improvements to his parry. To me, I'd like ex parry to be faster "at least." That is to say, if they had to turn it into a compromise. Kenshi's parry is 100% on hard read but yeh it is too slow compared to other characters' parries. But let's not over do it, I'd like a parry buff but I feel absorbing the damage taken isn't really an improvement he needs. I'd prefer his parry work on boomerang effect ex projectiles or vs jump ins. At least allow ex parry to do those things, at least then the 10f startup would be a little better justified IMO.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Anything with a 10 frame gap (which admittedly isn't much but you can learn them) should be reactable, . Some of the crazy ones like Goro's spin would have to be reads.
What trufenix said. The reptile slime ball, mos ermac, raiden, Lao hatspin setups, Kotal's b12, tremor spike ball/low Boulder were all reactable scenarios.
Thank you for the response and cool vid Ando, good stuff.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
Pretty dope , gotta say. Maybe Balanced doesn't need buffs after all

:DOGE

( Up yours Ismael :p ) But seriously, if the parry was faster on startup, It would be pretty broken if you ask me. I mean, it parries moves AND all kinds of projectiles, its ok for Kotal because he isnt a zoner as Balanced and certanly isnt even close to his game design..

ando1184

Noob
Pretty dope , gotta say. Maybe Balanced doesn't need buffs after all

:DOGE

( Up yours Ismael :p ) But seriously, if the parry was faster on startup, It would be pretty broken if you ask me. I mean, it parries moves AND all kinds of projectiles, its ok for Kotal because he isnt a zoner as Balanced and certanly isnt even close to his game design..
I'm sorry bud I have to disagree on that last statement. No it wouldn't make it broken, kenshi's parry doesn't allow him to special cancel after partying projectiles. He can only special cancel by using meter or by parrying regular normals and specials that are h/m/OH only. He can only combo from launching projectiles off of normal parry.

ando1184

Noob
The insane pound of nuts you need to do these examples in a ft2 tournament is simply unreal
Well yeh lol, from what I've learned playing this character, you have to be a fundamentally solid player first and foremost. Then you gotta have really good patience, but I do think (like all characters) in the right hands this character can shine. Once they fix his whiff issues of course :p but balanced is a solid midtier character in my eyes and I've landed parries in match like this through solid reads. That's what gave me the idea for this vid in the first place. Vs ninjutsu, Kotal, and kl specifically.

Edit: but a ft2 for this game is straight up bs to begin with, so you may be right about that.

ismael4790

Well yeh lol, from what I've learned playing this character, you have to be a fundamentally solid player first and foremost. Then you gotta have really good patience, but I do think (like all characters) in the right hands this character can shine. Once they fix his whiff issues of course :p but balanced is a solid midtier character in my eyes and I've landed parries in match like this through solid reads. That's what gave me the idea for this vid in the first place. Vs ninjutsu, Kotal, and kl specifically.

Edit: but a ft2 for this game is straight up bs to begin with, so you may be right about that.
If by "shine" you mean getting into top 8s, the chances are close to 0. The thing is people with "right hands" that also want to win, will pick characters that make their wins easier. Not doing so reduces your options. A pair of right hands using Balanced is most likely gonna be obliterated by another pair of right hands with a better character.

Don't fool yourself: Balanced is cool, nice looking, but in the current state of the game he simply has no competitive options.

I'm optimistic about Kenshi's destiny in the next patch, though.

Last edited:

ando1184

Noob
If by "shine" you mean get into top 8s, the chances are close to 0. The thing is people with "right hands" that also want to win, will pick characters that make their wins easier. Not doing so reduces your options. A pair of right hands using Balanced is most likely gonna be obliterated by another pair of right hands with a better character.

Don't fool yourself: Balanced is cool, nice looking, but in the current state of the game he simply has no competitive options.

I'm optimistic about Kenshi's destiny in the next patch, though.
With the current tier lists as of now you're right I don't see balanced as making a top 8 at a major. However if he was without his current whiff issues I think he just might. I mean we saw milky bring reptile into top 8 at EVO and I think balanced is within the same tier as reptile. This is my opinion so please don't blow me up, I just think balanced has a well rounded set of tools and his damage is great. It just sucks that currently those tools can't be 100% relied upon due to the whiff issues.

ismael4790

With the current tier lists as of now you're right I don't see balanced as making a top 8 at a major. However if he was without his current whiff issues I think he just might. I mean we saw milky bring reptile into top 8 at EVO and I think balanced is within the same tier as reptile. This is my opinion so please don't blow me up, I just think balanced has a well rounded set of tools and his damage is great. It just sucks that currently those tools can't be 100% relied upon due to the whiff issues.

No blow ups man xD

Whiffing issues are a thing, of course, but Balanced has much more problems besides that, you will end up facing them with time if you still haven't.

ando1184

Noob
No blow ups man xD

Whiffing issues are a thing, of course, but Balanced has much more problems besides that, you will end up facing them with time if you still haven't.
If you're referring to teleflurry's recover, slow d3 and d4's, and punishable frame data then yeh I've experienced all that. I just truly believe this character has to be played at a very specific pace and style. He kinda feels like commando Kano to me, in that he uses his tools to limit your opponents options but with a more fullscreen presence. Idk I just know that he feels "right" to me and that there is something there....