What's new

Pad vs Fight stick handicap?

Justice

Warrior
Justice
Either pad or stick u can with both hit the same directions (pad- thumb/stick-hand), thats what i mean
But it's not the same motions. I struggled with this too and asked the top guys in my scene about this. One was like "It doesn't matter" (but hee pwns ass with all games with both pad and stick :p) and another said "I prefer pad. You saw my match and how many inputs I dropped". It's really all about hitting the down>back more accurately than a full quarter circle motion.

If you're comfortable with a stick, by all means go ahead and use a stick. I did too for a year and it levelled up my game a lot. I just found for me that it hit a point where the stick was holding me back due to issues between myself, the stick and MK.

Playpal

Warrior
Stick is better for sf cuz it's easier to land links. 1f and 2f links are easier on stick since you can p-link and double tap. Motions and movement are preference. MK and injustice won't have links so stick is not really the better choice.

Killzone

Warrior
It's more fun to play on a stick though. Dat arcade feeling!
The learning curve is ridiculous though. It won't make any sense at all, when you switch to a stick and you'll need quite some time to adjust.

echelonNYK

Mortal
I made the switch from pad to stick because my thumb would get sore after hours of gameplay. With a stick i can play all night.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Elder God
NetherRealm Studios
nice, master diz. I agree with the use of stick for the exact same reason as you. Fingers over thumbs.

if more people used a stick and stuck it out, they would really see the benefit in using your fingers over thumbs.

have you tried soonks hitbox? what do you think of those?
I think they are great. I don't want to bother with taking time to get a natural feeling with it though, in terms of reacting. I don't think there is a very high learning curve with stick, but I did play arcade games a lot as a kid so I guess that may be a reason I was easily acclimated with stick when I picked up FGs again.

If you are new to FGs, I could see hitbox being good since you don't have to re-learn anything. Otherwise, it's a toss up based on how much time you have to learn it.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Yeah, I switched to stick years ago because I was developing a callus on my thumb... Took me maybe a week to get used to it, just because I'm very, very, very right handed. Felt like I actually had to build up specific muscles in my left forearm before the switch started to pay off.

I recommend stick for every fighter though. Pads are ass. It doesn't matter if the game has hard inputs or not, it's that pads make it harder than it has to be. Mushy buttons, sticky directionals; the stick is simply more responsive.

GodsLonelyman

Kombatant
It's basically a matter of preference and alot depends on the game you're playing and how your fingers and hands are. I suspect people with thick thumbs won't do well on a pad. Also, If your hands are too large for the controller it'll feel awkward moving your thumbs around. I myself have big hands with long fingers and very little dexterity. I find it problematic pressing buttons on a stick/cabinet. My fingers aren't nimble enough, they feel stiff. I prefer pad and using my thumbs instead.

Gurpwnder

Saikyo Student
Either will get the job done. I prefer stick because I play Street Fighter, which is a 6 button game. I don't want to have to reach to the bumpers for heavy attacks. Pad works well if you're playing a 4 button fighter, but I agree with Dizzy that using your fingers is more helpful than just your thumb since it allows you easier access to button combinations, like X + B / Y + A (360 pad) or Square + Circle / Triangle + X (PS3 pad)

Stchamps

PSN: SoaD_009
From what I read no one mentioned that this game is back to block instead of holding a button like MK is. IMO it is much easier to hold back to block with a stick than with a pad.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Depends on the game and who you main really. Its largely up to preference but some stuff is easier on stick than pad and vice versa. DP is easier on a pad, but half circles are generally easier on a stick. Sticks allow for things like plink dashing and piano-ing inputs too which is ridiculous to attempt for most pad players. Plus on a stick the low rider seimitsu or sanwa denshi buttons are often touted by some as easier to rapid fire tap with the less force and distance required to tap them (its true for some, but for a good pad player its negligible if even noticeable at all IMO).

Its just one of those things. Folks say to play Kabal for the laser or something they prefer stick to make it easier. I know on stick I rock the house with Ryu in MVC3 with tatsu crossups all day, but on a pad I can't play him for shit without the fast tatsus I could do on stick...strangely I can DP like a SOB and play Spiderman on a pad though who is RARELY used as good as he is in that game due to his reliance on super fast DP motions in the air.

It depends on your preferences largely but for some motions and inputs a stick is better. Its all a matter of knowing who you are maining and what tools they require the most use of that should determine to you whether its worth it.

Plus remember THERE IS AN ENTRY BARRIER TO LEARNING STICK. You won't suddenly be better with this tool. If anything you will be clumsy as hell at first till you train your stick hand on motion reflexes. Go grind out 50 fireballs each side then 50 dp's each side slowly getting faster in the lab each day till you got it down. Generally takes folks who dont do this around a few weeks to adjust. Those who do bother to train this take far less time. Its fast as hell once you got it, but again remember that if you didn't need certain motions to be any easier than before and if you didn't need stuff like faster mashables or plinking/piano-ing it wont matter that you bought a stick at all.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Either one is fine. The only reason I'm using stick for Injustice is because I learned LMH+Drive games on stick.

nwo

Kombatant
I think a stick will make you about 25% better in any fighting game if you master it.

THTB

Hitbox should be banned for this game
I doubt there's gonna be something that's going to make Hitbox that much better of a controller.

Also, what are you guys gonna do for layouts for those who play stick? Here's what I had in mind:

LMB
HPI

It's known that L+H is throw, and likely L+M will be stance change, which, when used with meter burn, is super. I was going to do this one:

LMH
PBI

But because of how they did throw, it would be a bad idea to do.

AC1984

Kaballin!
I doubt there's gonna be something that's going to make Hitbox that much better of a controller.

Also, what are you guys gonna do for layouts for those who play stick? Here's what I had in mind:

LMB
HPI

It's known that L+H is throw, and likely L+M will be stance change, which, when used with meter burn, is super. I was going to do this one:

LMH
PBI

But because of how they did throw, it would be a bad idea to do.
If the games doesn't have in-built restriction for holding more than one direction,then its a piece of cake to mod any controller and cheat.....U can hold B+F at the same time....No thanks...

THTB

If the games doesn't have in-built restriction for holding more than one direction,then its a piece of cake to mod any controller and cheat.....U can hold B+F at the same time....No thanks...
True enough. The official Hitboxes have this patched out, however.