What's new

Pad vs Fight stick handicap?

Hey guys, from the videos I see, the well known players are all using arcade sticks. Are you handicapped if you use a fight pad or controller? Or is it just preference?

Because I think some fighting games are better played with a fight stick (you are at an advantage over pad players), and I'm curious if this is one of them, for those who have played it.

Thanks guys :)

Justice

Warrior
Not at all. Every control method from pad to arcade stick to HitBox has it's own shortcuts and pitfalls. It's all a matter of what you are comfortable using.

zaf

professor
Its all comfortably and preferences.

However i will say this. With using hitbox and stick you use your index, middle and ring fingers. On pad its your thumbs.

When you react to someone jumping and you AA, you will do this faster with fingers over thumbs.

So imo the advantage is with stick / hitbox because it better utilities your hands. Fast fingers over sluggisg thumbs anyday

Justice

Warrior
Probably talking about the 360/720, swinging half circle and quarter circle motions. Even that's a comfort thing simce I know players that actually prefer the pad since you have to move farther with a stick and with a pad it's just a quick spin of the thumb.

hellbly

Mortal
quicker circle movement, more precise directions: you can find some sf pad players, but they are a minority.
Off course it also depends on the number of buttons and the arcades cabinet background of most players.

The Borax Kid

Apprentice
Because on a stick you roll your inputs, like crouch to quarter circle forward, while on a pad you can just press the four directions from neutral without diagonals which are hard to do on a pad.

Edit: Looks like great minds think a like lol.

Probably talking about the 360/720, swinging half circle and quarter circle motions. Even that's a comfort thing simce I know players that actually prefer the pad since you have to move farther with a stick and with a pad it's just a quick spin of the thumb.
Are talking about beginners?
Pro SF players plays 95% with stick imo

kronspik

Mortal
In MK9 a lot of top players used pads, including REO. I wouldn't worry too much about this. Use whatever you're more comfortable with and what you're willing to spend money on.

Can somebody explain me why the pad is better for mk(9)
I use Stick since day one and it works fine.
But i know a lot of top mk9 players use pad, thats interesting.

Justice

Warrior
Pro everyone plays 95% with a stick. Doesn't mean it works for everyone. And like you said, there is 5% of pro SF players that don't ;)

The Borax Kid

Apprentice
Because people have the habit of rolling inputs like other fighters and it ends up causing you to drop inputs.

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
Cause MK doesn't have any hard inputs at all.

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
that cant be the answer dude.
it depends of the player what is easy or hard.
Really why would you use stick on MK ? The inputs are so easy, the combos are easy, timing is easy, dude you're not doing TAC infinites or zero frame links, you know.

Justice

Warrior
Because of the control shortcuts NRS put in to help out lower level players. It's the reason I switched to a HitBox. In MK, you can press down+forward and get a D1xxKartwheel with Sonya for example. Or you can just use the diagonal for quarter circle motions like Kartwheel, Arc Kick and Military Stance for Sonya. MK is designed around the 4 basic directions and if you aren't spot on with your stick handling or your right and left hands aren't synced, you will get unintended moves.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Elder God
NetherRealm Studios
I use stick because I find it more comfortable to use my fingers as opposed to my thumbs.

I used stick to play SF4 and Marvel 3 before MK9 came out, and I only had an Xbox at the time. I hated the controller, so I just stuck with it ever since. My thumbs get sore after playing any game on pad pretty quick too.

zaf

professor
I use stick because I find it more comfortable to use my fingers as opposed to my thumbs.

I used stick to play SF4 and Marvel 3 before MK9 came out, and I only had an Xbox at the time. I hated the controller, so I just stuck with it ever since. My thumbs get sore after playing any game on pad pretty quick too.
nice, master diz. I agree with the use of stick for the exact same reason as you. Fingers over thumbs.

if more people used a stick and stuck it out, they would really see the benefit in using your fingers over thumbs.

have you tried soonks hitbox? what do you think of those?

Because of the control shortcuts NRS put in to help out lower level players. It's the reason I switched to a HitBox. In MK, you can press down+forward and get a D1xxKartwheel with Sonya for example. Or you can just use the diagonal for quarter circle motions like Kartwheel, Arc Kick and Military Stance for Sonya. MK is designed around the 4 basic directions and if you aren't spot on with your stick handling or your right and left hands aren't synced, you will get unintended moves.
yes thats true i know it already, but where is the advantage for the pad?
i dont get it, sorry