What's new

Overview of in Game Sound Design in NRS Titles. Hopes for MK11.

OBS|KH Rattlehead

Accessibility consultant for Mortal Kombat 1.
Hi all,

First of all, I wasn't sure where I could post this since the video I'm about to share with you uses MKX and Injustice 2 as examples for the topic at hand. To the mods, feel free to move it where you feel it's appropriate.

On to the topic.

So as some of you may know, I've been a sort of unique MK player that made an appearance at Evo 2013 with my Cyrax. Most of you are probably new here, so you may not know that I'm a blind FG player who has always loved MK, even after I lost my sight completely. Plus, I left for a while due to making my band's first album and other real life things that needed attention. I also didn't post as much as I'm more of an observer. I want to change that for MK 11. I want to be more active.

Lately, I've made a return and have been streaming MKX online to get back and be ready for MK 11. I've recently discovered other blind players who mentioned to me that I was the reason they picked up MK as well. I was humbled to hear this. One person in particular stood out. He goes by Captain Earshot and is a Mileena player in MKX. He learned the game to the point where he mastered his character to the highest level with pure sound.

We've recently made a video giving and overview of sound design found in NRS titles and gave our hopes for even more improvement in MK11. The video you're about to see doesn't showcase any actual matches, but we moved the characters around and turned off the game music to give a better experience. Using headphones is recommended to understand what we're talking about in terms of sound. Hope you all enjoy.