What's new

Question Overrated or underrated?

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Sadly, I don't think we'll ever know since the game been mostly and unfortunately left for dead. From watching all of the best Skarlet players, I'd say she was good, and probably balanced... which in MK9 means you're mid-tier.

Whatever the case, watching top Skarlets was always incredibly awesome.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Seemed like there was only one Skarlet who made it to a really high level.. So it'd be hard for people to form opinions unless they played him around or after the time he was hitting his peak (Final Round).

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
I've been playing Skarlet for about a year and maybe and had her in couple tournaments and I can say with all confidence that she is a Top 10 char - however away from top 5 sadly.

I am playing deadly Cyrax almost 2-3 times a week on regular basis and even with this mu being 4:6 I am able to shut him down if I focus.
She has so much to give, however she takes a lot in order to give a portion of the damage she can throw.

Anyone coming to Angola please let me know and I wanna see them play EddyWang's Skarlet. Not sure anyone has mastered her as well as he has. If she isnt top 5 then he definitely pushes her up there.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Indeed. I mean, could any Skarlet do instant-air daggers 10/10 times? I tried my hand at her once, at the behest of this community project where everyone picked a new main for everyone else.

Fuck. That. Shit. TOO difficult.
i can do 5/10 on a D-pad, hopefully the stick will improve my execution with her.

but overall, i think she is top 10, doesn't have stupid losing matchups and neither winning stupid matchups, she is like Ibuki of SSF4 ae IMO, lots of option selects, vortexes and annoying otgs, can't be played on a fly against good oponents, but she can change the gear to speedup or slowdown the as the game fits better for her.

If Sako played MK9 i'm pretty sure he would pick skarlet.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
Wasn't Scar the only one that was really successful here in the states, and didn't he usually get mopped up in tournaments?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Wasn't Scar the only one that was really successful here in the states, and didn't he usually get mopped up in tournaments?
Skarlet players didn't travel much, and they weren't many, besides me and Skar i don't think anyone else has reached the level we did. And i understand why.

Most ppl when they start to learn skarlet they get mopped up a lot in tournaments, i did for the 1st 6 months, only later i started to understand how does the character actually was meant to be played.

During the lifespan of MK9 in US we had lots of Skarlets, and the only one that stands out in U.S is really KH Skar, he was something else, and no he didn't got mopped up that bad, at his prime he got 3rd, if MK9 was still the main game i would like to see how far he would have reach.

Mopped up? Clearly you haven't been following my track record with the character, let's get one thing straight and this goes for anyone who says she is overrated or was never worried about the character, If I was able to travel more and had weekends off from my job, I guarantee u I would have eventually taken a major with her, in the little majors I was able to make with the character I never placed outside of top 16.

MLG Anaheim (top 16, my first major using her)

MLG Dallas (9th I believe, losing to DJT Cyrax for top 8 spot.)

Texas Showdown (1st Place, this tournament was a major I believe (not sure since the entrants were a little low since all coasts didn't make it out), but had fierce competition from guys I play everyday such as KH showtime who got top 8 at MLG, as well as Chris G)

Final Round (This is where I was in the best shape I ever was using the character, placed top 3 losing out to wafflez and wound, but taking out big names along the way like Perfect Legend.)

EVO (9th Place, just outside of top 8 range, losing to REO for top 8, for the record only ppl that beat me at EVO with her was DJT and REO, both who made it to grand finals, so I couldn't be mad at that.)

Skarlet top 5? No but she is a top 10 character no doubt in my mind, and is a character u gonna have to work ur ass off with if u wanna get results...There should be no argument that this character is a threat, and if u don't think so that's because u haven't faced a deadly Skarlet main.

Top 5, maybe Top 3.

Her full potentIAL will never be realised because Mk9 was left behind for a game about to be left behind for KI3.
Almost 3 months later, this post has all kinds of wrong written on it.

The problem with NRS games, is that once the final build is in tact (5-6 months after release) that's what you get.
Marvel and Street fighter both continuously get patched every year or two, and keep the game alive.

You don't see Tekken Tag 2 players sticking with Tekken 6 or 5 for the tournament scene.
Same with NRS. If MK9 would have gotten a UMK9 or patch, I would be playing both injustice and mk9.

Whenever MK10 comes out, I'll probably drop Injustice too (even though this game is much more balanced than mk9).

The only exception is the Smash community, but then again, they only have 2 games to choose from Melee, and Brawl. And Brawl was just a disaster tournament wise

Flagg

Noob

The problem with NRS games, is that once the final build is in tact (5-6 months after release) that's what you get.
Marvel and Street fighter both continuously get patched every year or two, and keep the game alive.

You don't see Tekken Tag 2 players sticking with Tekken 6 or 5 for the tournament scene.
Same with NRS. If MK9 would have gotten a UMK9 or patch, I would be playing both injustice and mk9.

Whenever MK10 comes out, I'll probably drop Injustice too (even though this game is much more balanced than mk9).

The only exception is the Smash community, but then again, they only have 2 games to choose from Melee, and Brawl. And Brawl was just a disaster tournament wise
So it's taken you three months to some how say that I'm wrong and this post is wrong that YOU stopped playing Mk9.

Way I see things round here, MK has a lot of interest again.

And didn't it take YOU 6 months to have a epiphany to realise that Zatanna is actually good.

You stopped playing MK. Don't blame that on someone or someone's.

Your inability to multitask fighters is no one's fault but your own.

So it's taken you three months to some how say that I'm wrong and this post is wrong that YOU stopped playing Mk9.

Way I see things round here, MK has a lot of interest again.

And didn't it take YOU 6 months to have a epiphany to realise that Zatanna is actually good.

You stopped playing MK. Don't blame that on someone or someone's.

Your inability to multitask fighters is no one's fault but your own.
Your point was people were going to drop Injustice for KI, which is false.
It actually took me 2 months to realize that, and I actually play Street Fighter, Tekken Tag 2, and Injustice.
I stopped playing MK because I wanted to, never said I blamed anyone else.

SZSR

Noob
Not taking sides here but a game's lifespan is more dependent on the community than the developers themselves.

As Mr Mileena mentioned earlier, Melee has kept itself afloat as a competitive fighter even against its OWN developer who sought it not to be competitive by simply supporting the game and still going out to tournies, even when a new game came out to supplant it.

Marvel 2 had its own long lifespan even though numerous fighters came and went, just because a new thing came out didn't mean Marvel 2 would die. Only until Marvel 3 came out nearly a decade later did the game finally die.

Everyone in the scene is more important to its life than they think.

Back to the actual point, I think Scar's tourney accomplishments speak for themselves. Even if MK9 was at its last hurdle, Skarlet showed she was a terrible force to be reckoned with.

Overrated or underrated? I don't know how anyone rated her back then.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Mopped up? Clearly you haven't been following my track record with the character, let's get one thing straight and this goes for anyone who says she is overrated or was never worried about the character, If I was able to travel more and had weekends off from my job, I guarantee u I would have eventually taken a major with her, in the little majors I was able to make with the character I never placed outside of top 16.

MLG Anaheim (top 16, my first major using her)

MLG Dallas (9th I believe, losing to DJT Cyrax for top 8 spot.)

Texas Showdown (1st Place, this tournament was a major I believe (not sure since the entrants were a little low since all coasts didn't make it out), but had fierce competition from guys I play everyday such as KH showtime who got top 8 at MLG, as well as Chris G)

Final Round (This is where I was in the best shape I ever was using the character, placed top 3 losing out to wafflez and wound, but taking out big names along the way like Perfect Legend.)

EVO (9th Place, just outside of top 8 range, losing to REO for top 8, for the record only ppl that beat me at EVO with her was DJT and REO, both who made it to grand finals, so I couldn't be mad at that.)

Skarlet top 5? No but she is a top 10 character no doubt in my mind, and is a character u gonna have to work ur ass off with if u wanna get results...There should be no argument that this character is a threat, and if u don't think so that's because u haven't faced a deadly Skarlet main.
FINISH HIM SKAR!!!

Flagg

Noob
Without a doubt Skar is hands down the most accomished Skarlet player to date and was frankly very unlucky not to take FR with her.

Yes I was a little presumptuous with KI but we'll see in a few months time once KI is a more complete game. Mr Mileena I do still feel MK was dropped very prematurely but I am glad it is making something of a comeback,.partly because Injustice hasn't been as hype to watch as MK was (and I have watched /played both).

zaf

professor

people play melee because it is godlike.
over 10 years old and has pretty much the most entrants at tournaments now.
they do not play it because they are not happy with brawl. there are still a lot of people that are happy with brawl.
people like melee because it is a good game and they stuck it out with all the bullshit,
melee is also a different fighter. the meta is endless because of the stages and the movement the game offers.

if the nrs community had the same mentality as the smash community then we would still be playing mk9. melee has some dumb shit in it too, but people stuck it out.

Death

Noob
Personally a bit overrated. Like 16bit said I've never really been worried about her either. Id say maybe on the cusp of top 10 to be honest. Not a lot of people used her cuz she took a lot of skill to master and there's better characters than her who are easier to use