What's new

Tech - Outlaw Outlaw Meterless Vortex

Let me start by stating a few things:

First, this Vortex is indeed meterless, however, like MK9 Scorpion, it is technically unsafe meterless. You can spend meter to make subsequent cycles safe, but this will lead you out of the vortex. The only way to stay in is not use meter and keep gambling.

Second, this doesn't do a lot of damage. I do not envision this being used as a constant loop or anything, but technically you could.

Finally, I think the real use here is a random gimmick that can be used sparingly. This is very ala Quan reset in MK9, but a bit harder to read.

The Vortex:
It can be started by any combo that leads into a grounded Sand Toss (DB4). Once the Sand Toss Hits, do a jumping forward JIP (either will work, but I find timing the 2 JIP easier) and then a B1. At this point, all of that should be one continuous combo. The B1 leaves you grounded, directly next to your opponent at +24. Here you simply do F13xxSand Toss, or B33xxSand Toss. You're back at the start.

Thoughts:
15% damage isn't great, but what I've been doing is getting an opening into this reset and then using meter on the 2nd loop to make it safe, but when it hits, the combo does like 35%. Add that to the original loop and I just got 50% for one bar. This looks something like the following:

F13xxSand Toss, JIP, B1 (reset 15%) B33xxEX Sand Grenade, NJP, Run, F24, 211xxSand Tackle (36%) If they block the mixup, EX Sand Grenade leaves you at +7 on block.

I'm sure all of this can be optimized, but that's the general structure.

Does anyone think that they can hit confirm F12 into Sand? It's close, but I think it can be done. On Block, just finish the string (F122), and on hit, go into Sand. That would at least be a safe entry in. Then you could spend one bar to make the subsequent mix up safe.

Another thought would be to use B32 U+1 (option 1) and F122 (option 2) as the mixups after the reset to have a meterless safe exit option. If you can hit confirm into F12xxSand, and then reset into one of the above combos (assuming F122 can be hit confirmed into sand), the whole thing would be safe and meterless. Not a vortex, as one of the mixups leads out of the vortex, but a gimmicky reset that does decent damage.

Option 1 would get you 45% meterless total (15% from the reset, and 30% with B32 U+1, NJP, Run, F24, 211xxSand Tackle)

Option 2 would get you either:
A - Back into the vortex
B - 45% meterless total (15% from the reset, and 30% with F12xxSand, B32 U+1, NJP, Run, F24, 211xxSand Tackle)

Last edited:
This would be a great way to get people to eat full caltrops in the corner
Absolutely! There are definitely utility uses for this. Just need to crunch the numbers on all of the setups to see where it's optimal.

You can also do the JIP on either side (staying same side is a little trickier). This allows you to switch sides if you are near a corner.

I tried this out in training mode and I like it quite a bit. Nice find!

One thing that should be noted is that f12 is actually superior to f13. While it's true that f13 is an overhead and then a low, anybody who is familiar with Erron Black (a.k.a. anybody who is going to take this game seriously) will know that after they block the overhead they can always block low and not have to worry about any mix-up being possible.

f12 actually has the advantage of being very reasonably hit-confirmable into sand toss unlike f13, so once you realize that the low part of f13 really serves no purpose- it becomes clear that f12 is the superior choice. f12 also adds an extra mix-up layer because cancelling it into sand trap is a pretty nice tick throw set-up if it does happen to get blocked (with f13 they're still in block stun during the grab).

TKB

Noob
Damn, I was literally just about to post this lol. Didn't see your thread.

I find this to be the most useful in the corner. Good shit.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Great tech. I don't think this will be the absolute be-all and end-all of his game since the damage output is low but it's just another great tool in his arsenal to catch your opponent off guard.

@Shady Penguin is on the money, f12 is superior to f13 in every way. Like how people starting blocking Green Lantern's b13 low>high because b12 was an option, but there's no mixup so you might as well do the hit-confirmable option.

InFlames

dead
Good stuff. You can hit-confirm both the low and the overhead so it could be fairly safe if you practice it, since b32 and f122 are -6.

Taxman

Noob
Can anyone explain to me why you can hit confirm F12 and not F13. From what I understand it Hit Confirm is visually seeing your attack hit then going into something like DBF2 but why isn' t this possible with F13.

Also from what I understand isthat DBF2 can only be used on an opponent in the air or when neutral. F13, DBF2 doesn't work you'll just hug the air and F12 DBF2 does the same, so why have others said you can do F12xxDBF2 if F12 is blocked?

Last edited: