What's new

Out of the Lab with Kenshi.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I don't see a lot on here with Kenshi actually being used. So I took the liberty of filming a session between my friend and I where I happened to go undefeated all night. I've put together highlights of how Kenshi can be used properly in zoning, Anti-Air, situation-appropriate max corner damage, overhead pressure with surprise lows, and the importance of the EX Rising Karma for anti-crossover punches. After I lost a tournament here from my inability to handle close pressure, I've been focusing on control and patience with Kenshi, as well has the importance of his EX moves to stay safe.

This video is provided with audio commentary. If you'd like to see just the fights with no commentary, head to my youtube channel. Enjoy Kenshi players!

[media]

Stuck

Mid Tier Whore. 1 combo and a dream.
Thanks for giving some life to the Kenshi forum. Kenshi is the most rewarding character of the cast for me. Nothing is better than beating your opponent down with zoning just to capitalize on big damage when they slip up. It's good to see other players sticking with him. I've always blown ExRK just to have the opponent jump over it and I eat a full combo. Now I'll try to wait for the cross-up and reverse ExRK.

Tolkeen

/wrists
I recently picked up Kenshi, and I watched most of your video (Really helpful, thank you), but I'm a little unsure of how to input a backwards RK, do you do the input as they're directly above you, before they leave the ground, or when they're mostly over?

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I recently picked up Kenshi, and I watched most of your video (Really helpful, thank you), but I'm a little unsure of how to input a backwards RK, do you do the input as they're directly above you, before they leave the ground, or when they're mostly over?
Reverse EX RK is definitely something that comes later in your Kenshi game. He takes a lot of time because he's not just about zoning. He's about being able to instant convert to close range fighting when necessary. To input the reverse RK you can do it right as they are above you or as they're coming down. Either way it will hit them. If they are too high then only the first blade will hit then you can follow up with an SC. If you time it right, you'll get a F2 2 B2 combo. Just make sure you're cleanly putting in the command, because if you do a regular RK, chances are you're gonna get killed.

Blackula

I SEE EVERYTHING!
1 Question. I noticed that you would do 2,1,b+2 and immediately follow up with a rising karma. Why did the rising karma hit him? Is Kenshi at advantage after the 2,1,b+2 string?

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
1 Question. I noticed that you would do 2,1,b+2 and immediately follow up with a rising karma. Why did the rising karma hit him? Is Kenshi at advantage after the 2,1,b+2 string?
yup, frame trap my friend....though RK is risky! SC is preferred due to the Ability to RE frame trap (OPPS , i said much).

here's the Thing also,
# b+2 or f+2,2,b+2 in corner (on hit): you can re link to a juggle with cr+1 (shall show it on my up coming kenshi video hopefully)
# b+2 or f+2,2,b+2 in corner (Block) : Can lead to A LOT of frame trap which are COMPLETELY safe, and some of things are un escapable (shall not say anything bout it, though, u shall see it soon enough in a video as well)...you experiment and see wut u can discover

Tolkeen

/wrists
Reverse EX RK is definitely something that comes later in your Kenshi game. He takes a lot of time because he's not just about zoning. He's about being able to instant convert to close range fighting when necessary. To input the reverse RK you can do it right as they are above you or as they're coming down. Either way it will hit them. If they are too high then only the first blade will hit then you can follow up with an SC. If you time it right, you'll get a F2 2 B2 combo. Just make sure you're cleanly putting in the command, because if you do a regular RK, chances are you're gonna get killed.
Okay awesome, thanks for the help! I'll get working on that right now!

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I use this as part of his general mixup game. You can input the RK from a 2 1 B2 string very quickly, and the RK comes out like a full second after you input it. It's kinda crazy. It's like Kano's upball in a way. You do 2 1 pokes. finishing with 2 1 B2 sometimes. And the sometimes inputting 2 1 B2 Rk all together and they get fucked when they let go of block. And hell, you can use the EX RK if you want to be totally safe on block afterwards. I really love the options of the 2 1 starter.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
In the second or third match you stated you like the close TK slash, well i have been using some nice "setups" with this as it is usually more reliable that SC on a fast advancing enemy (such as nightwolf charging at you). if you do the far/mid TK slash check once or twice, usually if the opponent character has some sort of getting in tool they will use it from frustration, so a close one will stop this from happening. I like to use it at full screen aswell just to put the thought in my enemies head, let them know what you have and what you can do. Cant use this to win matches, and dont rely on it as a go to method for stopping enemies, like the RK crossup strategy, but its another tool, and thats all you can ask for really with kenshi !

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
yup, frame trap my friend....though RK is risky! SC is preferred due to the Ability to RE frame trap (OPPS , i said much).

here's the Thing also,
# b+2 or f+2,2,b+2 in corner (on hit): you can re link to a juggle with cr+1 (shall show it on my up coming kenshi video hopefully)
# b+2 or f+2,2,b+2 in corner (Block) : Can lead to A LOT of frame trap which are COMPLETELY safe, and some of things are un escapable (shall not say anything bout it, though, u shall see it soon enough in a video as well)...you experiment and see wut u can discover
Can the B+2 in corner also frame trap into a cr+3, TKS? I've always really liked this poke for him (and the input is a lot easier than a few of his other low poke strings).

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Possible but there's no point to use cr+3 after for a TKS non chain-able link.....
cr+3~tks is a non link and non trap on either hit or block. Cr+3 can be easily escape after with either a counter poke, Special, or even simple jump over after.
i would say cr+3~ SC if u wanted frame trap

ps: RK is also good, but it is not safe. better use SC after b+2 for frame trap...shall elaborate more about it in a coming video, shall be out soon. might be useful for u if u want to take a look at.

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
Thanks for the info! I'll definitely be checking out the video. I'm trying to get good with Kenshi, but not having decent sparring opponents is really putting a cap on what I can discover. I find him useful in some of Reptile's bad matchups.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
hey! so ur a third who also main rep and kenshi huh? lol...u me and arturo so far

Hmmm , for this part, Kenshi doest complete reptile SADLY! ....the same bad matchups for Rep, are the same for kenshi! be aware that being fully prepared for kenshi require MAJOR effort! dont let online depress u because online and laggy tv SIMPLY destroy kenshi PERIOD! compared to any other char!
kenshi is like on Reptile's BNB Neutral ..... do u now how annoying reptile BNB is on laggy tv or online? Kenshi is AUTO this form all the time lol

but be aware that kenshi can get destroyed by those : Kung, Mil, SCZ, Raiden,Jax, Rain, Noob saibot , NW and kabal are VERY hard for Kenshi! specifically (Kabal, kung and Raiden)

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
but be aware that kenshi can get destroyed by those : Kung, Mil, SCZ, Raiden,Jax, Rain, Noob saibot , NW and kabal are VERY hard for Kenshi! specifically (Kabal, kung and Raiden)
Yeah, I'm def. a Rep/Kenshi main. The holes ARE annoying sometimes. I'm comfortable doing Rep against Kung, SCZ, Raiden, Jax, Rain, and NW, but Mil, Noob, and Kabal really test me. Mostly Mil.

The only reason I mentioned the cr+3 into the overhead before is I was trying to use it like Reptile's cr+4->acid hand. Online training, while I enjoy the wharf tremendously, is hard because A. I haven't had internet in weeks and B. online Kenshi's reaction time is rough. Also, you get called a spammer for zoning with TKS/SC/RK against people dumb enough to not rush you down or outzone. I still really really like his playstyle and also have been trying to incorporate the 2,1 poke mix-ups into my game. I find them most effective in the corner because 2 has really, really shitty range and I like to train the opponent to block low in corner. 2,1,b2, - 2,1,b2, 1,1,4, rk, 3, rk, cr+1, sc is what I use most often once I land the corner overhead.

axeman87

Noob
Nice mate.

I keep stuffing this up, over and over again. In this combo - f2,2,b1 - Dash f3, 2, RK - f2,2,b2 -

- f2,2,b1 - Dash f3, 2, RK .... Right here I jeep doing the reflect. Driving me crazy.

Think I might just switch to ... Dash 2,2, RK ... instead and just miss out on the extra 5% (?) damage.

Blackula

I SEE EVERYTHING!
Nice mate.

I keep stuffing this up, over and over again. In this combo - f2,2,b1 - Dash f3, 2, RK - f2,2,b2 -

- f2,2,b1 - Dash f3, 2, RK .... Right here I jeep doing the reflect. Driving me crazy.

Think I might just switch to ... Dash 2,2, RK ... instead and just miss out on the extra 5% (?) damage.
Why aren't you ending that combo with f+3,2, Spirit Charge? That will give you his highest BnB damage.

f+2,2,b+1.....f+3,2, RK......f+3,2,SC

axeman87

Noob
Why aren't you ending that combo with f+3,2, Spirit Charge? That will give you his highest BnB damage.

Dash! Its my mortal enemy. Although I've been playing MK since the arcades I never took it too serious at all and just had fun with it.

I've only just started looking into the mechanics of the fighting game. With that said, I've only begun dashing now and I cant get it happening very well at all.

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
Axedude,

to avoid reflect, input the RK later than what you're doing. don't even start the d,b input until you see the punch from f3,2 come out. You're most likely jumping the gun on the timing and the game is smacking you in the combo damage for it.

as for the dashing, try using the 2nd forward input in the dash to buffer the f3. I usually keep holding forward on the 2nd tap and use it to start the next part of the combo.

I hope this helps!

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Dash! Its my mortal enemy. Although I've been playing MK since the arcades I never took it too serious at all and just had fun with it.

I've only just started looking into the mechanics of the fighting game. With that said, I've only begun dashing now and I cant get it happening very well at all.
Comes with practice man, it is all muscle memory. The more you practice it, the more natural it feels. Eventually it just becomes second nature.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations

I actually like to end combos with F2 2 B2 depending on who I'm fighting. When I fight noob, or Cyrax, I don't want to send them across the screen at the end of the combo. I'll sacrifice 1% damage for the positioning that F2 2 B2 gives me. You recover very quickly, and it leaves them at mid-range. It all depends on what your next move is going to be.

axeman87

Noob
..to avoid reflect, input the RK later than what you're doing. don't even start the d,b input until you see the punch from f3,2 come out. You're most likely jumping the gun on the timing and the game is smacking you in the combo damage for it.

as for the dashing, try using the 2nd forward input in the dash to buffer the f3. I usually keep holding forward on the 2nd tap and use it to start the next part of the combo.

I hope this helps!
Thanks. Yeh I've started holding the f until after the 2nd tap but I still pop the Reflect. I'll try waiting until after the 2nd hit see if that works for me.

Comes with practice man, it is all muscle memory. The more you practice it, the more natural it feels. Eventually it just becomes second nature.
Yeh, hoping so. Kind of starting from scratch on MK9 in more ways than one as I started using a Fight Stick for it.

I actually like to end combos with F2 2 B2 depending on who I'm fighting. When I fight noob, or Cyrax, I don't want to send them across the screen at the end of the combo. I'll sacrifice 1% damage for the positioning that F2 2 B2 gives me. You recover very quickly, and it leaves them at mid-range. It all depends on what your next move is going to be.
Agreed. Friend of mine plays against my Kenshi with Noob and its tough at full screen. He just keeps throwing the Shadow Slide thing out and its tough to get in. It comes out quicker than the TF. When I jump over it he does the teleport. If I jump over it at close range he does the upward shadow thing.

Hard to play against Noob with Kenshi. Trying to work out a good game plan against him.

feete_non_stop

Tele-Beatdown
im picking up kenshi, i was looking for new main cuz there are just too mutch sub zeros, and i wasnt kinda sub zero guy i just like his style of play, but now i want smth fresh, smth like cold weapon which many peeps doesnt know about, and kenshi seems to be perfect choice.
Thanks for guide guys, huge material to take kenshi in lab.