What's new

Strategy Option select concept

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
While going through the maps looking for worthwhile interactable set ups I forgot I was playing grundy and tried to do a bane option select. Then I thought about how grundy has three hits of armor, and shouldnt have to fear a single wake up in the game if he too can option select opponents wake ups. Im not sure if this concept has been used(I dont really watch any grundy matches unless its tyrant)or posted about, but I do know Nooby touched on it with his post last night(I actually thought he was posting exactly what I was about to so I just went to bed lol).

So you can cancel a bunch of normals into wc to option select wake ups but ive found 1xxwc, 2xxwc, and f1xxwc work best for me. I use 2 when I need to space myself out from the opponents wake up a little for my punish, f1 when I want my normal to be active a little longer to catch jumps, and 1 when the wake up comes out too fast for f1 or 2. These have all stuffed jumps before, but the f1 is the most consistent for me if I feel they are going to jump or wake up.

Now this isnt a get out of jail free card, you still have to know how to react to wake ups. In most cases you can just cancel normally and punish with 112 combos, but for some wake ups you need to reverse your cancel(for example mmh overhead tele can be option selected. The same goes for DS sword flip, but just make sure you are in range to go through the flip instead of it hitting you a bunch and creating a weird knockdown). There are also some wake ups(nw staff spin)that you can option select, but you have to cancel and block.

On hit you cancel like normal and set the pace with whatever(air grab read, 11 pressure, trait, ect). I dont like to just let the WC fly because its too reactable(if you f1 they cant escape the wc by NJ, but you can BJ, FJ, or backdash so its weak sauce).

The point of this is to eliminate the guess, "is the opponent going to wake up, or will they jump/backdash". I feel the timings to beat all jumps while still canceling for the wake ups needs more testing, but its something I use in sets. I havent went through the cast for this so feel free to highlight when this doesnt work

[Also remember if you use grave rot whenever you can this option select does damage to the opponent, and builds you extra meter...P.s can we talk about how anti airing with mb swamp hands is a 50% punish and we should be doing that whenever you get the chance?]

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
This is one of the mains ways to discourage wake-ups.

Against some jump arcs, if you time a meaty F1~WCC on a knockdown, like after an AA grab. If people try to jump in order to get away from the WC, you can do standing 1 and it will catch them out of the air.

So doing F1~WCC, 1~Trait will catch a lot of people. And I have been having a lot of success with it so far.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
how is it an option select exactly? does something else happen if the opponent does something specific?

or wait, u can cancel walking corpse into anything right?

Last edited:

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
how is it an option select exactly? does something else happen if the opponent does something specific?

It's not really an OS. But the move you cancelled into will always come out. In this case for 1~WC, the WC will absorb the wakeup attack, or the 1 will get blocked and you will still cancel into WC.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
It's not really an OS. But the move you cancelled into will always come out. In this case for 1~WC, the WC will absorb the wakeup attack, or the 1 will get blocked and you will still cancel into WC.
ah, and u can cancel the WC itsself right?

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body

I'll give an example. You do a mbwc, dash in twice, then as they wake up you 1xxwc. If they jump the one hits and you wcc then apply pressure how you feel, if they wake up you wcc and punish. Back dashing is what I'm testing out later in my sesh tonight.

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
I'll give an example. You do a mbwc, dash in twice, then as they wake up you 1xxwc. If they jump the one hits and you wcc then apply pressure how you feel, if they wake up you wcc and punish. Back dashing is what I'm testing out later in my sesh tonight.
anything done meaty cannot be back dashed