What's new

Op-Ed: how to redeem the 'forgotten' characters of the 3D Era

mattteo

Noob
Yeah
Fuck those loser characters. I will be as rude as I need to be to make sure they are forgotten in ignominy as they deserve to be.
Someone's salty. Then you're not a real Mortal Kombat fan. Cause MK fans support the franchise and its characters, with their qualities and flaws. You can't say "I'm a fan of Liua Kang and Raiden, but I'm not a fan of 20 other characters, so I'm a Mortal Kombat fan". You're half a fan at best. Even if you wouldn;t like some characters, you wouldn;t have to bash them or talk trash about them. They may be someone else's favourites.

Do you have a personal vendetta against Daegon and Drahmin? Did your sis catch you masturbating to them in front of the PS and you developed a negative reaction or what? Does it pain you so much that other fans might enjoy playing as them?

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Someone's salty. Then you're not a real Mortal Kombat fan. Cause MK fans support the franchise and its characters, with their qualities and flaws. ?
No we fucking don't.

If you are a real mk fan you will decry drahmin from the mountaintops. Only "fake mk fans" like you would ever dare support him, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I love what SNK does for Yuri as the Capcom rip off Kobra could be an interesting take.
SNK has a few Capcom rip-offs, Ryo and Yuri being some of the more obvious ones. And I like that Capcom's response was to make a rip-off of SNK's rip-offs, which resulted in Dan Hibiki. :p

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Does Nitara even has a moveset?
In that time it failed but now i can see potential.

Hsu Hao, Kobra, Darrius and Dariou and Hotaru should just die, the thing is, if you bring one you will have to bring all 3 because of how their story are interconnected.

I used to think Drahmin was cool, him and moloch.

Ashrah with a revamped moveset has potential.

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
NRS should use Kobra back story and mix with Hector Doyle from Grappler Baki , and make a new Serial killer that loves to Kill strong fighters , with some creepy cybernectic stuff from Black Dragon or Red Dragon ...

lets see if those new mk 11 chars gonna be worthy , that Serial killer with kobra story could work ...

KCJ506

Noob
The post trilogy characters really weren't shown in the best light during their debut days. Some of their designs were... meh, a lot of the characters gameplay were generic and boring and some characters stories were so miniscule. What was bad was that these characters were very much underdeveloped, they had little time to grow which of course made many people think they were automatically bad characters.

These are just some brief ideas of the play styles/gameplay potential for some of the post trilogy era characters that I had in mind

Sareena - They could give her the demon stuff that they gave Kenshi since it really doesn't fit him to begin with, transform her into her demon form for the variation since the gave Leatherface different costumes per variation and boom....cool character.

Fujin - Tornado debris, wind guts, aerial combat, his crossbow from MK4 etc.

Frost - Nimble, ice weaponry, ice projectiles, raining icicles ect. This could work. Hell there are some moves that Sub-Zero had in MKvsDC that he never had in any other game they could give her.(some people might not be too fond of this idea though)

Li Mei - She should be the female Liu Kang of the game. Give her something more than just power blasts and spin kicks. Make her a real martial artist since she was trained to be one anyway. She should be the fastest and most nimble female character in the game; i.e. female Liu Kang for the average gameplayer. Someone you can pick up and easily play without much thought or effort. A perfect entry character.

Nitara - They could give her some stuff like glamour stun, some aerial flight moves and more moves centered around blood and biting.

Havik - Have him use his limbs as weaponry and then reattach. Make him just nuts to watch and play as. The games are already rated M, go ballistic with the gore and the appeal will be there.

Kira - Being a female Black Dragon member, she had an interesting concept. The problem was that they just that they just made her a mix of Kano and Sonya. Considering her bio, she could have all kinds of guns/artillery. She could have special gadgets/bombs/futuristic tech. An AK-47 with a blade attached to it. Land mines, dynamite etc.

For all the great things about Deception, there are some serious issues - which may have stemmed from lack of time - starting with the newcomers and their names:
- Darrius and Dairou. I mean, seriously, two guys with almost the exact same name? Taven and Deagon wasn't as bad as that.
- Kobra is a great name, but not for a guy who looked always to me like a Street Fighter Ken rip-off. Then there's Kira, I guess they decided they needed another character starting with a K.
- Havik and Hotaru, complete opposites and both a H.

As characters, only Hotaru, Havik, Ashrah, Shujinko & Onaga had potential and looked at least somewhat unique. From your list, Mavado was cool, but he's basically Kabal. Drahmin looked silly and that concept is even worse, I mean what is up with that mask. Ashrah is the only one who deserves redemption and has shot.

Hsu Hao being the worst, as you note, has become a meme, and NRS has embraced it.
Yes... And that's why he's probably the most likely of the bunch to reappear! >Boon, the troll

Also, Hsu Hao could be seen to pander to the Chinese market (...Albeit, the game would likely never get past the CCP morality police censors... not officially, anyway).

Ashrah is my #1 hope for ascendance from the NRS glue factory. Her white-robe design stands out from typical MK aesthetic, and she has a lot of potential gimmicks going for her that could comprise a moveset - a signature weapon (kriss), voodoo, divine light attacks, hidden demon form - plus a decent backstory to boot (Sareena, if Sareena wasn't drawn by a horny highschooler).

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
The only reason why few of these characters will return is because of us, the very vocal fan-base. I for one can see any of these characters returning with updated game-play and stories to match the more recent MK offerings from NRS. Any character can be redesigned and made into something awesome. I love all of the nostalgic characters from MK1-MK3 just like everyone else, but why not keep that roster growing with actual MK characters from proper MK games instead of the inevitable movie monster DLC that we are bound to get? It's due to us, the fan-base and the fact that the movie monster DLC makes fat cash that we will never see an update to Movado, Kira, Kobra, Drahmin, Nitara etc. I would love to use Li Mei again but the majority will always rule.

Peace

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I’ve really never understood the love of Ashrah. Her story is interesting, but she just looks like femme-Raiden crossed with a beekeeper.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I’ve really never understood the love of Ashrah. Her story is interesting, but she just looks like femme-Raiden crossed with a beekeeper.
they had a girl subzero so then they had a girl raiden.

Turns out _____ character, but a lady instead isn't exactly a compelling or interesting design.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
A lot of character fetishists here. It is always been fun to read topics like this; ''oo pleassee give me jade, if noob is out i am out, no sektor but cyrax? that is bullshit'' like comments make me laugh. Just calm down folks, Mortal 11 Kombat is coming, it has begun, there gonna be 35-40 characters at least and as we all know Mortal Kombat has many cool characters like Raiden, Scorpion and Shao Kahn.. They are already announced, Do you mean '' i have no interest for them, new gameplay, new story or other certain classic chars like Liu Kang or Sub-Zero?? I just care about Ashrah or Drahmin?'' come on.. are you out of your mind?

3D Era Kharacters
1. Quan Chi
2. Kenshi
3. Shinnok
4. Havik
5. Bo Rai Cho
6. Fujin
7. Onaga
8. Lei mi
9. Taven
10. Nitara
11. Dragon
12. Sareena (not exactly 3D Era)

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
This was a REALLY good write up. <3

You may have made the most compelling case for Kobra as a formidable character in all of history.
With the masses being all Avengers crazy, you could easily rewrite Kobra and Kira as a twisted violent version of Black Widow and Hawkeye or a not supernatural Vision and Scarlet Witch, and it would slay.

All i want is Ashrah.
If Raiden is full on evil, go with the times and replace him with a woman who's already escaped evil.