What's new

online stuff that just feels off

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Online on pc is 10 times better then on xbox wtf u talking about. U think u have delay on pc? Add atleast 5 more frames on xbox. Some of kung laos bnb combos i dont even try to use on xbox thats how much difference their is.
I'm sorry for you man but it doesn't change the fact that -4 means nothing online on pc right now.

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
This whole game feels clunky, stupid moves like jax KB and scorpion tele really put me off both online and offline

The Slaj Jazz

TIckle my sweet salty nips
I feel the same way. Sometimes when I know im actually holding block when someone kano balls me from fullscreen but it just doesnt register. Also when trying to d2 someone and its like it doesnt register at all

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
My personal list of problems online:

• when knocked down and getting back up, holding down and block doesnt register half the time. I still get hit with mids and lows. I thought I was losing my fucking mind until I saw this thread.
  • Hitboxes appear worse than they are online compared to offline. A lot of D2 not registering even on block and up close such as Barakas. Also his B2 completely whiffing jumping characters and going over crouch blocked opponents. Same with Skarlets B2, Kollectors U2 wakeup and Noobs.
  • Blocking in general just seems iffy. Not only myself but my friend who I play with every night complain about getting hit when we are clearly blocking. Forget about attempting flawless blocks. And this is on 50-80ms ping.
  • D1 and Jumping attacks appearing to go through bodies on some characters.
  • being antiaired after a J3 goes through other characters head, namely JC.
Much more that I need to think of but these are my biggest problems.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I play 95 percent offline (fortunate enough that my training partners all live within 10 minutes of me) and when I do go online it drives me fucking nuts. 50 ms or even lower tilts the fuck out of me because it just feels slightly off to the point of making playing actually uncomfortable?

I guess I should adapt and get what I can out of it but I can't help start playing like a maniac with it. The more things that happen that feel like online nonsense the more I end up just saying fuck it and throwing out random jump ins and commiting on random unsafe nonsense. It turns the game into a constant scramble for me.

Also then when I go offline I am all fucked up again too lol. Even though Jacqui's combos aren't hard or anything the double f12 trying to switch from offline to online and then back ends up being a mess.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I'm pretty surprised to see so many complaints honestly. I play on Wifi with good connection and it's harder to react to stuff, especially at higher pings. But that is the nature of online and I have very little issue with how they handle it. This is still far and away the best netcode I've ever seen in a fighter.

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
Tell that to the Jax that was consistently hitting me at -11 after a naked f3 with his f2 straight out of my d1 each and every time.
It's online, no big deal, but online certainly is bad on PC right now.
Your connection on PC is one thing. It doesnt change the fact that Im atleast -4 after blocked F33

Gaxkang

Banned
Recorded the tail end of this ranked set vs a very bad Erron Black. Mind you, it said this was a 83ms wired connection at the start of game 1. Yay for B2's coming out Lifts after a ducked fatal blow among other things. Oh, and gotta love how the lag/disconnecting icon looks like a penis, just in case you didn't know you were being screwed. :rolleyes:

I don't know if it's just me, but it feels like this has been more of an issue after the last patch.
Yeah I been seeing that icon more frequently in recent times.

I also get server disconnects once in a while which at first I thought was on my end but now I'm convinced it's the game. Makes doing longer towers shall we say, dicey. :p
Plus you can't reconnect to the serve in-game...one has to close and relaunch the heavy running game.

I'm on PC, myself. For some reason closing the game is more intensive than launching it, memory or hard drive-wise.

Last edited:

Gaxkang

Banned
My personal list of problems online:

• when knocked down and getting back up, holding down and block doesnt register half the time. I still get hit with mids and lows. I thought I was losing my fucking mind until I saw this thread.
  • Hitboxes appear worse than they are online compared to offline. A lot of D2 not registering even on block and up close such as Barakas. Also his B2 completely whiffing jumping characters and going over crouch blocked opponents. Same with Skarlets B2, Kollectors U2 wakeup and Noobs.
  • Blocking in general just seems iffy. Not only myself but my friend who I play with every night complain about getting hit when we are clearly blocking. Forget about attempting flawless blocks. And this is on 50-80ms ping.
  • D1 and Jumping attacks appearing to go through bodies on some characters.
  • being antiaired after a J3 goes through other characters head, namely JC.
Much more that I need to think of but these are my biggest problems.
Yeah blocking low on wakeup sometimes doesn't seem to work.

I've seen various curious whiffs, I dunno if it's simply online or just bad hitbox/hurtbox design.

Blocking on reaction can be difficult or more difficult online, seeing as MK11 could be described as not so much a reactive fighter anyways.
I do find blocking dial mixup's to be difficult.

I do think the poke game online is warped, which is too bad since a focal part of the game is what happens on blocked pokes or pokes that hit.

Ayx

Omnipresent
What annoys me is that post-patch lately on console at least it seems that even if we are both wired and at least 80ms (I even do 150ms max, as long as wired. I kinda learned slowly the online formula.) but lately it seems that the game will just start stuttering and giving the "unplug" symbol at random times. I have my own apartment and play w/ no one using my connection, but it seems that if anyone is using anyone's connection during the game even if it's to read a notepad the game stutters.

tl;dr the netcode feels worse post patch w/ "unplug" spikes and other nonsense. Not to mention we're forced to play "3 Bar" wifi players that you barely can get out of the char select screen due to how underwater it feels.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I'm pretty surprised to see so many complaints honestly. I play on Wifi with good connection and it's harder to react to stuff, especially at higher pings. But that is the nature of online and I have very little issue with how they handle it. This is still far and away the best netcode I've ever seen in a fighter.
I agree. I’m about to switch to wired myself in a few days, but outside of some expected lag with bad ping it’s very good. I have recently had button loss with people on the east coast though.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Glad i'm not the only feeling like something is off with this game...
Definitely not.

When people start canceling D1 into specials like it's Injustice while I'm holding down block like the fucking LOX, and I'm getting hit almost every time, that's a serious problem.

The only thing consistent about the online is how inconsistent it is. Nothing seems to ever work when you want it to.
I've been feeling seriously shitty about how it's been going in spite of the character and mechanical progress I've been making. Seeing you and the lot have been feeling the same pain makes me feel a whole lot better. At least now I know it isn't ALL me.

I was considering posting a topic on this, but, it doesn't really justify it. So, I'll just post it here:

The game seems to use some kind of "re-syncing" net-code, where when the latency beings to affect proceedings (reaches some predetermined threshold), it re-syncs the match. This can be observed by weird incongruities -- some examples:
  • uppercut (down-2) from one player connects -> game suddenly swaps to the other player landing a KB uppercut
  • one player lands a throw -> game swaps (halfway through the throw animation) to other player successfully attacking
  • generally "blinky", janky gameplay that is kind of akin to Geras's time warp effect, without the actual special effects
  • certain properties not or hardly ever working online -- e.g., the armour of OTG's / FB's
This occurs irrespective of ping / connection, and is probably something that is taking place constantly -- only becoming noticeable when the de-syncing become something more than a "micro re-sync" can handle. In other words, unless one's connection is very good and, most importantly, steady, players may be playing a kind of quasi-A.I. controlled opponent that, if you like, re-syncs the game in the Internet limbo land between players.

This system has been used in racing games, such as Mario Kart -- where players would be outright replaced by the CPU if they dropped out (or were forced to drop out, in cases where two local players playing online dropped too far apart). I've got the feeling MK11 is using some more evolved, refined incarnation of this "CPU control" mechanism, which interlopes in Internet limbo land when the game reaches a certain de-sync threshold.

Another point that confirms this theory to me, is that all matches play more or less the same, regardless of "good" / "bad" ping; and when it does noticeably lag, the game may not even connect to a match (or the match will be an unplayable stutter fest fought in molasses). With other games, there are varying degrees of lag; in MK11, it either plays as expected or doesn't work at all. Moreover, with the game's online not being region locked, it further reconciles the use of this kind of latency-dissembling system -- i.e., [most] people won't notice the lag in such a system, because the speed and response of the game will be more or less the same across the board (especially to the hands / eyes of the casual player demographic that forms the vast majority of MK11 online player pool).

Of course, online is a crap fest of down-1/2's, throws and forward-4 spams... So, it's all a much of a muchness in the end. I just thought I point this out... \(v_v)/

Last edited:
You can simulate the online lag when you play offline in the settings a menu if you want to practice your combo timings offline.

It is what it is... for being able to play with ppl from all over the country from the comfort of your couch, I say it's pretty great.

kcd117

Noob
  • i get up, do nothing but block, but get hit by a projectile and out of all things it says "kounter" on the side. even if i blocked too late, its not a kounter.
I thought I was going crazy. This keeps happening to me and I don't understand why.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
After the patch I've been experiencing 6-10f lag on good connections. It eliminated reactions, anti airs, combos, counter poking, blocking mixups, ducking highs, flawless block, jailing from pokes.
Its basically unplayable for me. I hope they fix it.
I'm wired and only accept 100ms max wired.