What's new

Online improvements, additions and Ideas

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
.....For Future games

I should probably state first these are my opinions so feel free to disagree

I'll start by saying major props to NRS and their team for making online really good since the addition of Rollback it really made a World of difference.

Even the little things like have the match show quality of ping, being able to set offline to match the online delay is all good moves on their part.
I'm sure the community would agree they really exceeded our expectations and went beyond, thank you for that.

But onto the thread, I have no doubt they are going to continue the quality and push the evenlope further I got full faith they will.
Now that NRS got a solid foundation such as Rollback I think it's time we catch up to other fighters in terms of fully utilising online. These suggestions below will have a mix what I feel is necessary and things that would be cool, I will start with most important and work down to just cool ideas, I'm also not fully expecting all of these to be in the next game but I'm praying the first suggestion is, in anyway here we go.....

Let's get the Elephant out of the room first

ONLINE REGION LOCK!!!!
Ahhhhhhh!!!!! It's 2016 NRS this should not be a thing were complaining about, but here we are!
I have no bloody idea why you guys still got it on the PS4.
Before somebody says "it's a Sony issue" no it is not!
No other fighting game is online region locked so why is it different for NRS and Netcode can no longer be the excuse. Never mind only fighting game to have online region lock, can you guys tell me the last game that was online region locked on a Sony Console that's not an NRS game? I'm sure there is but I'm betting it's not a triple AAA company like NRS. (I'm talking about Online region locks not localisation region locks)
This really holds back online lobby's from getting substantial numbers.
Oh and I'm on other forum sites and this is a big deal for casuals too who find out they can't play their friends from other continents so NRS please fix this, if smaller company's are doing it there is no reason why you can't, blaming Disc and stores doesn't cut it.THIS NEEDS TO BE A PIORITY FOR ONLINE..... Sigh rant over lol

For most of these following suggestions to fully work to optimisation region lock can't be a factor

So that's the most important thing out of the way, next up is what I feel NRS games are really lacking online is...

An Actual Ranked mode
Rank mode in NRS games may as well be called "quick game" because that's what they are.yeah you fight for the leaderboards but you can also do that for Playermatch.
It just feels non existent, I don't know why I would bother with ranked over player match and rooms.

When in other fighters Rank mode is the life of online and gives you something to actually earn and fight for!

Look at the Japanese fighters such as Tekken and Street fighter.
People here who played either of the games knows what I'm talking about And the thrill and excitement of playing Ranked on these games.

For those who don't know how rank works on these games it's like a league based system where the more point you get the more you rank up and when you lose you can be demoted which will always leave you fighting players around the same skill level, which also shows and makes you truly feel you have improved when you ranked up.
I think with the MK series they could make some cool names. SF5 uses a Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diomond, Master and Grandmaster rank system. When Tekken uses a Dan system with unique labels like this

So MK could use for example

1.Beginning Monk
2.Student Monk
3.Fighting Monk
4.Mortal Monk
5.Advanced Monk
6.Challenger Monk
7.Shaolin Monk
8.Kompetitor
9.Fighter
10.Warrior
11.Shaolin Warrior
12.Master
13.Grand Master
14.Ninja
15.Spectre
16.Sorcerer
17.Earthrealm Champion
18.Emperor
19.Khan
20.Mortal Kombat Champion
21.Dragon
22.Dragon King
23.Lord
24.Earthrealm God
25.Elder God

That's just to give you an idea, be interesting what labels you guys could come with.

These 2 are the most important things but I'm just going to briefly state other things that I feel are important.

Make Ranked mode Bo3 as default

I know people love this for KI and It be really cool and up the competitiveness level

Add filters for Ranked and Player matches so it will try to prioritise first

Such as
Region - the ability to chose what region you would like to fight in (your region or any region)

Level - same, higher or any

Connectivity - what your minimum tolerance is (same as yours, lower or any)

Lose points or full demotion if rage quit in ranked

Punish these fools!!!

Flags beside names

Like in Other fighting games so you can see where the player is from would be pretty epic and is a feature I always wanted

An integrated Esports mode

So basically if ESL or some other Esports company wants to run a league or tournament they can use this, so we the players can sign up, check in, and play our matches from inside this lobby. This could also be good for sending data to ESL to avoid cheating and manually reporting scores, such as them being able to watch the match back and spectate live matches for a much easier streaming experience to avoid all this KOTH non sense.

Those where my main ideas, I get many more cool and interesting ideas in the spoiler tag below as bonus if you're interested in reading them

Ability to spectate Vs matches

Once both players has "allow" active other players can spectate

KOTH auto prompt

If there is only 2 players left in King of the Hill they will get a prompt of (invite more players, go 1v1 or stay)

Auto kick AFK players

If AFK player does not have AFK mode activated he will be auto kicked from KOTH

Private KOTH customisations and host control

-ability to set it to Best of (1, 3 , 5)
-ability for host to kick players

Add in tournament mode

For Public tournaments keep it simple like 8 man only, Single elimination, Bo1 as since its public it's meant to be snappy.

But for the hardcore

Add in Private/Advanced tournament settings

-up to 64 players
-player check in
-choose mode (Single elim, double elim or Round Robin)
-Host ability to remove, Switch or DQ players
-Host ability to seed players
-Host ability to activate rules
-Change character (both can change character or only loser can change)
-Stages (both can change stages, only loser can or Ramdom stage always)
-add in byes
-Ability to add pools (a bit extreme but a man can dream)

Ranked choose your character before you search

It be a nice touch

Keep team mode just iron the connectivity issues

Team mode was and still is a great idea but the problem is, contection issues, it's a nightmare to get all players to connect, so even if they add in a feature to invite from in the room would make a huge difference

Allow team mode Ranked to start with friends

I was incredibly disappointed when I found our ranked team mode just randomising your team instead of letting you go in with friends as your own team, would also be cool if teams had unique ranks like mentioned above

Add in combo challenge mode

Look at this like Street fighter trails mode but instead you make the trials and upload them to the community for the community to attempt and rate or you can send to friend to try to do.
For this to work you would need to make it so when the opponents attenpt he challenge he is in the exact same situation as the person who made it to avoid problems.

Haha wow that's a lot to grasp I know and it's a bit all over the place but fuck it, I could probably of made multiple threads out of this.

So let know what you guys think, did I miss anything or whatever cheers

P.S fuck Region Lock
:p

Last edited:

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
Only thing I don't agree with is the character lock before searching ranked. I don't want to lock to grandmaster and keep finding aliens and mileenas while I have perfectly capable secondaries lol. Keep the character selection on ranked and player.

Other than that, sounds awesome. I especially like the name idea. Elder God Boyz

IrishMantis

Only thing I don't agree with is the character lock before searching ranked. I don't want to lock to grandmaster and keep finding aliens and mileenas while I have perfectly capable secondaries lol. Keep the character selection on ranked and player.

Other than that, sounds awesome. I especially like the name idea. Elder God Boyz
Yeah it ain't a big thing for me either honestly I just heard a lot of people wanting that

Tweedy

Noob
Region locked needs to be filtered, yeah.

Playing Foxy and Madzin, for me, isn't worth the stress of the bad connection. My connection with Mantis, however, is doable.

In ranked modes i'd probably always leave it on NA only, but it'd be cool if Mantis and others who can connect well with me, didn't have to make new NA accounts or anything.

IrishMantis

Region locked needs to be filtered, yeah.

Playing Foxy and Madzin, for me, isn't worth the stress of the bad connection. My connection with Mantis, however, is doable.

In ranked modes i'd probably always leave it on NA only, but it'd be cool if Mantis and others who can connect well with me, didn't have to make new NA accounts or anything.
Exactly that's why I just sure that it's a choice rather than forced so you always got that option

E

Eldriken

Filtering by player level isn't gonna do anything. Your level doesn't indicate squat other than time spent playing the game or you did a lot of offline stuff (towers, single fight, etc) to gain EXP. Unless player level starts to relate to skill in any kind of way, it should be omitted entirely when it comes to search criteria.

An example of this would be IIINCORRUPTIBLE on Injustice. Dude's like level 100 or so and he's absolute butt-butt at the game. So, like I said, unless player level relates to skill in some way, it's not a necessary search criteria. Also, there is such a thing as hidey accounts. :p

UGL Preon

The Casual God
Well all the major ones have been stated but id love a DOA3 Team Gauntlet mode instead of testyourluck. Like endurance of MK1 or team battle in MK2 & 3 I believe

We each pick 3 to 5 characters. And fight until all of one characters are defeated.

Other than that id like a more LP standard than rank. Bronze / Silver / Gold / Plat / Gold / Diamond similar to league

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Filtering by player level isn't gonna do anything. Your level doesn't indicate squat other than time spent playing the game or you did a lot of offline stuff (towers, single fight, etc) to gain EXP. Unless player level starts to relate to skill in any kind of way, it should be omitted entirely when it comes to search criteria.

An example of this would be IIINCORRUPTIBLE on Injustice. Dude's like level 100 or so and he's absolute butt-butt at the game. So, like I said, unless player level relates to skill in some way, it's not a necessary search criteria. Also, there is such a thing as hidey accounts. :p
When he said level I assumed he meant like if the ranking system was more like SFV's and you play with people in your rank (who earned it or at least rage quitted for it :p)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
part of a PM sent to Paulo almost fulling a year from now:

Point 2 (Not exactly how to improve online, but to help online experience with one more improvement in Traning mode)
Everyone complains a lot about online being bad, i have a wireless connection of barely 1mbps and played nearly well with someone from my country who has a 5mb internet, the thing that was really hard to get used to it, was landing my combos with the delay. NRS having a delay simulator to help online gaming could really make a difference, TTT2 and DOA5 have one which emulates the levels of lag and some ppl use it to train their combos since they play mostly online.

2016 Note: We didn't had the new netcode back then, MKXL starts to play well with a 100ms ping or under, if they can achieve this on the next game its a good goal IMO. Still i think the online delay simulator would be one of the best adds.

Point 3 (More improvements on training mode)
The training mode provided in MKX is incredibly advanced, i love it, the work you guys are having to put correct frame data info in the command list, i believe it must be frustrating, so maybe there are better ways to do that which would save up work with some algorithms.

1. An attack data mode ( a sort of freeze system which draws a certain color into the character who can't currently move because is either stuck in blockstun, or in recovery frames of a certain attack he just used)
Note: Tekken do that and works fine.
2016 note: The goal of this is to provide visual hint on when and how certain moves are open for punishing, it aids well specially for those players who don't like to learn frame data, and help exploring the game from other perspective.

2. A frame data counter (DOA has a system in their training mode, that works like a timer, every time an attack is used, the startup frames are accounted until the first active frame, so it tells the user how long the move takes to connect and gives info in the startup frames, and can also give block stun, and recovery frames, how plus or minus your character is on hit, block or cancel.

3. Hitbox viewer
Users keep asking for this, since other games do not give them, NRS give this to their consumers could also make a difference.
2016 note: Would help to balance the hitboxes issues by quick noticing how are they drawn into the characters, MK9 had something similar although it annoyed a lot of people it was really helpful

4.More proprieties
I can't stop to notice, that currently MK and IGAU mechanics were armor and invincibility frames, i know NRS is growing in balancing and content so it might not be a good idea to give it all at once, but wouldn't be far more easier to balance games out if more proprieties to counter certain things in particular be far more easier to balance?
For example:
a) Projectile invincibility moves: those were solely built to defeat projectiles, but can be beat by physical strikes and throws
b) Fully invincibility moves: those can beat out anything while being invincible for a short period of time (X-Rays do that.)
c) Throw invincibility moves: moves that cannot be beat by throw in specific, but projectiles and physical strikes can beat it.
d) Strike invincible moves: moves that are immune to physical strikes, but anything else beats it

2016 Adds

5.No more breathing hitboxes
NRS models are awesome, but the physical breathing affects the game heavily on the hitboxes, maybe taking creating hitboxes that don't breath with the character can be a good way to avoid this.

6.Training mode save settings and audio cues
We need to be able to save our training settings in the next game. And the audio cues options i've been suggesting since 2015.

7. New training mode feature, record AI/playback slots
This feature would help to train against 50-50s and multiple options one character might have from one single setup afterwards. And if we're able to tell the AI which one of the recorded setups we want to play more when enabling them to work nearly at the same time would be too cool to skip.

8.more though on how characters in fighting games works
The tutorial mode in MKX is so blank lol, i know NRS probably don't like to talk about frames, footsies and such specially when in development of a new game, but its important in my opinion for a dev to have a competitive point of view rather than casual. It can help making some decisions on how you want to build your character and how you want them to function along in the game, a good way to achieve this is to have someone with no side attached to the game who can help a dev taking those decisions a sort of balance advisor.

9. Pro controllers
Yeah, release check on and off aren't enough at least not for me, i still feel the input buffer window is rather too long in MKX even with release check off, what i ask NRS to do is to include this 3rd option where lets players be more precise with their execution, UMK3 Trilogy and MK3 special moves input buffer window was so small, so you couldn't get specials by charging a direction, or by pressing a button nearly 5 frames after the last directional input, so if players can trigger specials only by doing bf+2 in a 5f gap and never come out when doing bf wait for it... 2 and still get the special would be a welcome controller option to utilize.

10. Last but not least (really forgot about it for 10 minutes and fought against my head to remember) Establish some general rules from here in out on some of the game mechanics.
This needs to be done NRS, either on how pokes need all to be - whatever, d1's no low profiling mid, equal jump arcs, and so on, general 10f punish for every character, whenever QA is testing a game and you start to see what is the flow's focus, whatever the game depends the most of it to be fluid, is where not all characters at most needs to shine unless they play different in every way. Technically a character should have strenghts and weakness on their own game where every other character could be on position to take advantage.

11. (This one is optional) Where do i sign to join in and be part of it?

MK_Al

Noob
PLS NRS stop creating rankings and stop collecting win/loss data in standard 1on1 mode. its awefull how people rage and ragequit because of f****** casuals.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
@IrishMantis , I'm with you on getting rid of Region Lock. I loathe it with all of my inner self and heart. This system destroys everything. If we had a time travel machine, I would find and KILL the mastermind of the region lock, so that nobody would dare to rise for this sick system.

I would love to play against other good players, like @SonicFox5000 or @hayatei .

IrishMantis

What Scott said