What's new

General/Other - Liu Kang [Old] MKX - Liu Kang Wishlist Thread

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Honestly, there isn't much that needs to be changed about Liu in my opinion. With the way he played, he was a pretty well balanced, high speed rushdown character, with a majority of strings that left him neutral on block. So more or less, if that playstyle is at least retained despite any updates to his animations, block string combinations, and moves, I would be an extremely happy camper. With that being said, here are a couple of cool little things that I wish the Liu Kang in MK9 had:

Lower, or tweaked hitbox - I feel like it was done to balance out the fact he was so fast, but he was a giant in comparison to a majority of the cast. Jax for example, is a bulkier character and had a smaller hitbox than him, which is strange and uncharacteristic of Liu imho. Not asking him to have a Mileena sized hitbox or anything, but definitely not one of the largest stationary/neutral stances.

Parry - Joker introduced the concept of a character that had a high and low parry. If Liu could have such an option, it could definitely improve his wakeup game which was weak in MK9 (Especially because of that aforementioned large hitbox of his). Have his low parry slap the opponent's d1 or d3 for example away with an ankle/shin kick, teleport from behind, and maybe have the enhanced version slam the opponent overhead style and initiate a juggle the same way the enhanced parry did in MK9. Tightening of the animation itself to improve the startup would further improve it as a viable wakeup option, too.

Other Liu players, please chime in as well if you'd like. This wasn't intended to sound like a whining thread or anything but rather, a presentation of some ideas about Liu that could flesh out his overall moveset against the rest of the cast. He played great in MK9 as that quick rushdown character that could carry people from corner to corner. He was solid overall despite some hefty matchup setbacks in the form of Kenshi and Freddy Kruegar.

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
I am so happy that someone started this kind of Kangversation!
No announcements have been made other than Sub-Scorp and those 2 new characters that we are going to see at E3 but I'm sure Kang is going to be in MKX and I expect him to be a whole different Kang than the one we know.

Fire god?
Kabal-like burns?
A bad guy that suddenly became a zoner character using fire and specials (actually that's what I expect to see from Shinnok as well, supposing he is in the game)?

I just hope he has a different design and that at the end OR during story mode, he'll either be lawfull neutral or evil (at least against Raiden, not the others like Kai or Cage etc...).
I also hope he is a rushdown character like MK9, with a whole lot of mixups.

E3 is in 4days gentlemen, let's see...

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
For him to actually be the best shaolin/white lotus and have a flashier bruce lee esque moveset. Like some flurry punches or something. I feel like Liu's personality has always been really bland/humble and I think his emotion should shine through his fighting. More noises!!

Last edited:

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Also I think they're going to be completely redoing their move sets. I don't understand the reasoning behind these threads
That's more or less the assumption I have, but the point of this thread was to establish dialog or create a conversation around Liu Kang as he would exist (or hopefully exist) in MKX, based on his design and story outcome in MK9. @NickDaGreek1983, I hope hope hope they give Liu Kang a sort of 'jaded' direction where he distrust the gods as result of Raidens actions, and be like a mysterious, hooded bar fighter, along the lines of what we saw in Mortal Kombat Legacy 2. His fighting style could be like a brutal version of Bruce Lee's or IP Man too. He strikes quick, hard, and pummels the crap out of people in the corner like he did in MK9.

I could also see him as revived as a fire god, or ascended/enlightened being as result of the energies exposed to him through Raiden.

UPR_Nova

Noob
Lol @9.95

If he were reintroduced like he always is and the game mechanics are similar, I need some pokes that aren't garbage. 9 frame d3 I think... Possibly just shitty when it hits similar to scorpion d3. I can't remember so someone correct me if need be. And might as well call his d1 800 frames and useless because his best AA was standing 2. It had decent crossup protection but it was still too risky. It didn't beat seeing the crossup, slightly stepping to the opponents jumping side and hitting standing 2.

His mixup game was too dirty. Having Cage-like mixup potential without those frame traps is beyond fun to use. IAFB was on point and very fast (wanna say fastest even above Kabal). Only problem in my opinion was pokes, big Sheeva ass hitbox and no wakeup. Other than than you can't complain unless you want a broken Bruce Lee.

One of the best guys to ask is @XBlades

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
His fighting style could be like a brutal version of Bruce Lee's or IP Man too.

I could also see him as revived as a fire god, or ascended/enlightened being as result of the energies exposed to him through Raiden.
My thoughts exactly.
I think -because he is a Bruce Lee clone- they should keep his fighting style as is BUT remove those Bruce Lee screams and voices. Maybe let them be during special moves as a tribute and for the character to be recognizable but remove them from his normals etc...

KiD INsAnitY

Z of The Leaf -Team R.A.N
I'd like them to expand on his MK9 ending and make him more than just a Bruce Lee mirror with more intense specials while keeping his classics like Fireball Bick-kicks etc. But maybe alter them abit to fit his new found power that would be cool.

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
High-low-air fireball , dragon kick and bicycle kick should always be there !
Maybe add 2 new ones since one extra special (MK9 -parry) would be too little of a change since we're talking about renewing his arsenal AND his style/personality.
MK Shaolin Monks have lots of specials AND fatality ideas to offer for future MK games for both Kung Lao and Liu Kang for example.

UPR_Nova

Noob
I would love to see him raining fireballs and bringing them up from the ground like Shang. Don't know why but I think it would be great if they made him an elder god.

Hell just go all out. Fire teleport, parry that negates ALL attacks, fireballs like shang in addition to his current fireballs, faster f3, better pokes. Just break him. Oh and make his f3 launch.

In all seriousness I wanna see him radiating with fire. Maybe every time that he punches have his fists catch fire. His kicks as well. Something to give him that elder god look. The red eyes after you beat the story looked pretty cool to me also. I've seem a lot of people going with the evil storyline as well and I think it would be cool too, but the elder god look has much more appeal for me.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
It would be mad hype if his head was shaves almost bald with some hair spiked or laid to the side. That mullet might have been cool in the 90's.