What's new

Offline Tourney Sponsor and Donation

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
The MK Community is seeing more offline tournament action in a long time. WE NEED TO KEEP IT THAT WAY!

Please support the following so that our community can grow stronger than ever and MK competitive spirit will continue building:

- We need to nag Scheiss or someone trustworthy in this community to open a general Paypal account for receiving donations that go towards sponsoring ANY player to play offline.

- Donating to sponsor a player can be for ANY reason, such as traveling to the event and the entry fees themselves.

- We need to support the strive a player has to go to a tourney but maybe can't because of family/job/etc. If they truly can't go due to other obligations then our encouragement should only help those people sponsor others that CAN go but don't have the $$$.

- Come up with ideas ALL THE TIME. If you know where a local arcade is at, make an outline for a tourney and propose it to the community. YOU NEVER KNOW UNLESS YOU TRY. You can't be certain that no one will show just because you live in the middle of nowhere.

- Give back to this community. If you REALLY love these games and the spirit they bring, the LEAST you could do is throw down a couple dollars for less fortunate people to go and support your shared dreams in playing competitively IRL.

Please sign this thread if you support these proposals and please keep in mind that this is for ALL MK games!

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I completely agree. We thought about doing something like this on ultimatemk but we never even put up our own paypal donations account because we were never comfortable with asking for any money. The main idea was for it to supply money for extra prizes for tournaments, off and online because setting up trips is tough.

I think if we could narrow down some costs we could come up with a system to randomly select a player (or players depending on the donation amount) who enter in a drawing to come out to tournaments.

The only thing I don't like about the idea, is other games don't need this, and part of the problem isn't necessarily the money, but the desire. I have a feeling there will be some players who won't even register to win the sponsorship who could even go without it, but here's to hoping this will generate some interest. Tournaments usually have months of build up so that is plenty of time to get in enough money to set up an itinerary for at least one player.

There are a bunch of things that need to be worked out to guarantee the players get and use the money for tournaments, but that can all be handled.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Maybe to be sure the money is used for the tournament it's put towards the entry fees, hotel, and travel tickets themselves. (if possible to break up an online ticket like that, I've never tried)

I think we should make some kind of minimum, whether it be distance from the tournament venue or something similar... to determine if you qualify for this. That way people living a few blocks/cities away don't steal it from the less fortunate who need to book a hotel room and plane ticket. Entrants can even enter anonymously if they don't want everyone else to know, which is understandable.

If anyone should be in charge of the account itself, it ought to be either you, 9.95, or Scheiss. (or anyone trustworthy that is often around to talk with)

As far as the system of selection, it could be completely random from any number of players. Perhaps a $ minimum already donated could decide how many players receive it. Say over $200 is split in half for two different players instead of just one, to increase the odds that they can both successfully go. We can keep going with either $300 split in half again, or $300 divided in $100 increments for three different players instead of just two.

I hope other players will see the huge benefit of pooling money like this, even a measley $5 or less a person would go SUCH a long way to make an unlikely trip for someone less fortunate happen.

You know what? I promise right now I will donate $20 right away if someone sets up the account and hopefully that will have a domino effect.

Lastly, I didn't make this thread for me. I don't mean to rub anyone the wrong way with this thread.

ZAQ

Noob
This site has a paypal account already setup and integrated into the boards.
Just post in the updates or pm me that it is going towards this.
Also there are ways to write a note on paypal when you make a transfer.

i generally support this idea. in fact.

the only thing that i can see from keeping this happening is us.

supported 100 percent.

i would like to see a major tournament happen for mk in the future.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Excellent. I am donating $20 as soon as I can transfer from my bank to Paypal.

I want to see other names on here that I KNOW support this. They need to post so everyone knows how big this cause could be.

Hey Nitro what region are you from? Maybe you could benefit from this.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Great post.

Actually, I have had this idea in mind for quite some time, but since we are still working hard on fixing minor things on MKE, Storms, Scheiss and myself have been really busy to set up a paypal account, or post further details on the system.

Anyhow, the idea is to have a paypal account on the forum home page. I set up a section specifically for that. Players choose to donate money to their desired location, that way the excuse of "There is no tournament near me" goes flying out the window. As soon as enough money is raised to host the event, trusted members of the community of the destined location in which the tournament will be held at, will host the tournament. Each tournament, MUST BE RECORDED! If we do not have the tools to do so, we could always help each other out.

I think it would be a great idea if after each respective site has enough money saved up, we get together and host a tournament.

By the way, any of you going to Evolution this year? If yes, it would be a great idea to get together and talk about this and plan things out for the future. I'm loving the enthusiasm within the community lately. And one of the things that is making all of this possible is the fact that we are supporting each other for once. LETS SHOW THEM ALL HOW COMPETITIVE MK IS!

I am not sure where you are located or operate from, but I would gladly help to run Tournaments in the Chicago, IL area if needed. Let me know.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
My trip to Ohio cost:

* $300 for the round trip plane tickets a month in advance
* $20 (average) per day for food, some days more depending on what I wanted to eat, and that was mostly venue food or fast food. I'm not even counting drinks throughout the day.

I had Tim chauffeuring me all over where I needed to go, so that was a HUGE help...and he bought a lot of grub for me as well. So obviously, getting a hotel/rental car would be another expense and the rental car usually has a $200+ deposit and you have to be 25+ years old right? Hotel costs can be split, yada yada.

I'd say that an out of state tournament trip flying or driving is going to cost you roughly $500 minimum for a weekend.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Konqrr said:
My trip to Ohio cost:

* $300 for the round trip plane tickets a month in advance
* $20 (average) per day for food, some days more depending on what I wanted to eat, and that was mostly venue food or fast food. I'm not even counting drinks throughout the day.

I had Tim chauffeuring me all over where I needed to go, so that was a HUGE help...and he bought a lot of grub for me as well. So obviously, getting a hotel/rental car would be another expense and the rental car usually has a $200+ deposit and you have to be 25+ years old right? Hotel costs can be split, yada yada.

I'd say that an out of state tournament trip flying or driving is going to cost you roughly $500 minimum for a weekend.
$500-$600 has always been my estimate. It will become a reality soon.

Noob
I definitely support this idea and I am in the process of holding a fundraising tournament right now for 2 players to get to NEC.

I will talk to Scheisse, Shock, and Storms and maybe one of us will open a "MK Tournament Fund" paypal account.