What's new

Official Tournament Standard for selecting your character in MKX

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I agree with the people in the other thread. Locking the variation for the winner promotes counter picking. The winner should be able to change their variation if their opponent either changes character or variation.

SZSR

Noob
I agree with the people in the other thread. Locking the variation for the winner promotes counter picking. The winner should be able to change their variation if their opponent either changes character or variation.
Are you fine with having the Winner select their variation before the loser selects their character?

Er,I mean this post literally. Would it be fine for having the Winner reselect a variation on the chance the opponent will counterpick?

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Select your character, select your variation, your opponent does the same.

Fight

You got your back blown out, go back to character select, select your character, select your variation. Your opponent is locked. (Or can rematch like a boss)

Fight

You win, go back to character select, pick your same character, pick your same variation, your opponent picks the same character, your opponent selects a new variation.(Or can rematch like a boss)

Fight

You got your back blown out, you are now in losers.

pretty friggin simple, how I thought of it, Well every other fighter is like that, Soooooooooooooo.
The winning player should not be locked. They should have every option that the losing player has.

Win or lose both players play by the same rules every match...no home court advantage for the losing...no first round pick ahead of everyone else because you lost...this isn't the NFL or NBA.

Losing player should not be rewarded and winning player should not be punished. Pick your characters and ball.

Just my opinion.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Are you fine with having the Winner select their variation before the loser selects their character?

Er,I mean this post literally. Would it be fine for having the Winner reselect a variation on the chance the opponent will counterpick?
No the winner would be able to see what the opponent will do and change his or her variation accordingly. This is how it is handled in other games like 3s and SF4 allowing the winner to swap super/ultra to better deal with the opponents change.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
The winning player should not be locked. They should have every option that the losing player has.

Win or lose both players play by the same rules every match...no home court advantage for the losing...no first round pick ahead of everyone else because you lost...this isn't the NFL or NBA.

Losing player should not be rewarded and winning player should not be punished. Pick your characters and ball.

Just my opinion.
but if a variation is close to an entire new character how come I cant select a new character when I win in injustice. Or street fighter. Or any other game. The CLOSEST thing to compare this to is Ultra's different patched character select. And there is no way in hell even in a patch select tournament you are allowed to switch from Ultra Sagat to Vanilla Sagat after beating someone.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
You hardly see it as such a big deal with ultras because the game is so damn balanced(inb4 ultras brokenness), this game will not be lol

EDIT: And besides, ultras are street fighters way of rewarding you for getting your back blown out.

EDIT 2: Instead of worrying about counter picking someones counterpick we should be focusing on learning MU's Maybe?

EDIT 3: Im not blowing anyone up or telling someone how it should be, although i am, letting winner pick as well could see something different in tournament, and you may see me try it out for awhile in VA when it comes out. Just saying.

Last edited:

BlazingShrapnel

World's Worst Nitara
I feel like, while it's great we're discussing this now, we should wait until the game actually releases to finalize these standards.
Let's say New Character X is S+ tier. X beats most of the cast 6-4 with variation 1. So a player loses and switches to Character Y, who has a 5-5 with X's variation 1 with all of Y's variations. However, without variation lock, the winning player gets to switch to variation 2, which 6-4s Y's variations. (Somehow, in this scenario, X is MMH and Kuh-bawl's love child, and actually does win every match up in the game, variations included.)
But if the game is way more balanced than that, then fuck it, no variation lock.
As it stands right now, I'm in favor of variation lock as the general policy.

i think it would be a good feature if you could quick change the character variation after a match without going back to the select Screen. otherwise it might become a counterpicking fest with more menue- than actual playtime