What's new

Official MK11 PS4/XB1 Patch Notes 03/10/20

Below are the patch notes for the 03/10 Mortal Kombat 11 PS4 & XB1 patches:

General Gameplay Adjustments
  • Move list corrections
  • Improvements to AI logic
  • Fixed issues with some augments not granting correct bonuses
  • Increased the button input buffer when exiting a block hit reaction from 2 to 5 frames
  • Practice Mode > AI Options > Kustom > Block Attack options now have more defined options Fast, Delay, Late which will perform the Block Attack on the first frame, randomly delayed or on the last frame
  • Practice Mode > AI Options > Record now has a new Recording Slot to be used for Kustom Getup / Reversal
  • Practice Mode > AI Options > Kustom > Reversal Attack now has an option for Kustom Reversal & Kustom Reversal with Navigation which uses the Recording Slot Kustom Getup / Reversal starting with the button press or the directional input when with Navigation
  • Practice Mode > AI Options > Kustom > Getup Attack now has an option for Kustom Reversal & Kustom Reversal with Navigation which uses the Recording Slot Kustom Getup / Reversal starting with the button press or the directional input when with Navigation
  • Added several new Brutalities for players to discover
  • All Getup/Flawless Block Up+Front Kick attacks will no longer hit opponents from behind except for Kung Lao, Sonya, and Geras
  • Fixed an issue with several Krushing Blow Requirements sometimes not working correctly while the opponent is still in a hit reaction animation
  • Added new Nether Forge Recipes for players to discover

Character Specific Adjustments
  • Cassie - Fixed a visual issue with holsters that could sometimes occur when performing Dual Wielding Amplified
  • Geras - Reduced the travel distance of Dash Forward and Dash Backward
  • Geras - Increased the recovery on miss of Sand Trap and Quick Sand by 4 frames
  • Jacqui Briggs - Directing Bionic Bounce Towards or Away costs one bar of defensive meter
  • Jacqui Briggs - The landing recovery frames of (Air) Shrapnel Blast, (Air) Grenade Launcher, and (Air) Prototype Rocket can no longer be circumvented when being 2in1 cancelled from a Jump Attack with specific timing
  • Jade - Wiggle Stick (Away + Back Punch) can now still be 2in1 cancelled if the first or second attack hits the opponent but the last attack misses
  • Jade - Blazing Nitro Kick Krushing Blow requirement no longer resets when it is missed
  • Jax - Gur-Knee (Towards+Back Kick) no longer has different hit advantage when hitting standing and ducking opponents
  • Jax - Ripped Amplified now recovers 4 frames faster on hit & 6 frames faster on miss and is now -8 on block (down from -4)
  • Johnny Cage - Rising Star can no longer be Amplified when it is Flawless Blocked
  • Johnny Cage - Rising Star Amplified now costs one bar of both offensive and defensive meter when Rising Star is blocked or misses
  • Kotal Kahn - Heavy Blade (Back Kick) now starts up 1 frame faster, can now be 2in1 cancelled, and has a different hit reaction
  • Kotal Kahn - Yeyecame Disk now causes 5 more frames of blockstun and has more pushback when normal blocked
  • Kotal Kahn - Fixed a visual issue with Totem visual effects persisting during some fatalities
  • Kitana - Fixed an issue with Dark Deception (Away + Front Punch, Back Kick, Back Punch) Krushing Blow not triggering if the third attack is a Kounter
  • Kitana - Edenian Strike now has 1 more frame of hitpause
  • Kitana - Fan Toss Amplify can now be delayed by up to 7 more frames
  • Kitana - Reduced the combo damage scaling of Fan Lift & Fan-Nado and its reaction no longer allows the opponent to Breakaway
  • Kitana - Royal Protection buff no longer gets removed after using certain attacks
  • Kitana - Royal Protection buff now grants a stacking damage buff (up to 50%) for each successful projectile parry that lasts 10 seconds and the timer is reset with each successful parry
  • Kitana - Edenian Twist Krushing Blow requirement "Triggers if FATAL BLOW is on cooldown" no longer will be possible after DEADLY GAME (Fatal Blow) has successfully hit
  • Kitana - Edenian Twist Krushing Blow now has an alternate requirement of “Triggers if it KOUNTERS or PUNISHES a LOW or DUCKING attack”
  • Kung Lao - The reaction to Vortex no longer allows the opponent to Breakaway
  • Kung Lao - Fixed a rare issue with Omega Hat not working correctly if side switch occurs after performing Orbiting Hat
  • Noob - Shadow Slide Amplified has a slightly increased hit region when opponent is in a combo
  • Noob - Fixed issue with camera when (Air) Tele-Slam hits a cornered opponent
  • Shao Kahn - Wrath Hammer has replaced Reverse Wrath Hammer when Shao Kahn is summoned with the Helm of Kahn Konsumable
  • Shao Kahn - Wrath Hammer Krushing Blow requirement is now "Triggers if Hammer Throw hits TWICE in a row"
  • Skarlet - Scythe Slam (Away+Back Punch) deals 20 more damage
  • Sonya - Energy Discharge (Up+Front Kick) Getup/Flawless Block now starts up in 11 frames (was 13) and no longer has 2 frames of vulnerability before its active frames
  • Sub-Zero – Correct audio now plays during Intros when using the Dimitri Vegas Skins against an opponent using Joker
  • Shang Tsung - Fixed a rare issue that could cause Lift Amplified to miss the opponent while in the Lift hit reaction
  • Terminator - Fixed an issue preventing several lines of in-game dialogue from being used when playing as Terminator
  • Sindel - Come Forward (Front Punch, Front Punch, Back Punch) no longer hits opponents from behind outside of combos
  • Joker - KAPOW Krushing Blow is now +5 on hit (up from -25)
  • Joker - Toward Throw Krushing Blow requirement "Triggers if FATAL BLOW is on cooldown" will no longer occur after SMILE (Fatal Blow) has successfully hit
https://mortalkombatgamessupport.wbgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360044211414-Official-MK11-PS4-XB1-Patch-Notes-03-10-20

Comments

@tweedys post
to me its good to see that also the real pros (amazing talent + lots of playtime) talking about it, so its easier to catch for the developers and increase the chance to see it be changed in the future - just keep talking about it ^^

(while he only talks about the block situation, i also hope they change it on hit so jailing/combos will work reliable, like the shao kahn situation)

i think MK11 will have a great future as i also think KP2 will bring in more to the system than just new fighters + some tweaks
(i mean stage fatals are a must, even tho its not gameplay relevant)

i actually have fun playing KL, it is an intense feel of competition for only online players
and the reset every month + unlocks keeps it fresh all the time

ps: i play fighting games since street fighter 2 on snes - i have a little knowledge but i am not a "pro" ^^

Actually is highly likely that the defender can now attack OS now in between your attacks. We will see.

I'm not worrying about anything. Just questioning the decision to give the 5-frame buffer only on block.
It’s actually less likely to be able to OS, because there’s now a bigger window where whatever button you hit is coming out no matter what.

Most (NRS) OS’s rely on the defender still being in blockstun, so that the attack doesn’t come out under certain circumstances.

I get what Tweedy is saying though, and I think he’s right. If defenders get 5 frames of leniency on a reversal, maybe attackers should also get 5 frames of leniency on inputting their next attack.

I’m just trying to decide if there are any unforseen consequences of an attack buffer change that haven’t been considered.

Last edited:
It’s actually less likely to be able to OS, because there’s now a bigger window where whatever button you hit is coming out no matter what.

Most (NRS) OS’s rely on the defender still being in blockstun, so that the attack doesn’t come out under certain circumstances.

I get what Tweedy is saying though, and I think he’s right. If defenders get 5 frames of leniency on a reversal, maybe attackers should also get 5 frames of leniency on inputting their next attack.

I’m just trying to decide if there are any unforseen consequences of an attack buffer change that haven’t been considered.
The OS I'm talking about that is possibly created with this patch, is pressing an attack button in between hits of your opponent's combo string within the 5-frame buffer and hit your opponent if he doesn't proceed with the next attack of the string, but have enough time to press block again for the next attack. Your attack won't come out and you will be able to block, unless the string has interruptible frames (can be FBd). One example I think this will work is against Jacqui's f12.

But this is only theory atm, didn't play after the patch came out yet.

Which new brutalities, taunts, skins or gear were added? I know I received a skin, gear and taunt for Shang, anyone else know of any new ones?

So essentially what it comes down to is they made it easier for the defensive player to counter poke, attack etc. I'm sure this is debatable as to who should have the advantage and who shouldn't, I mean personally if it were uo to me neither would but if I had to pick one I'd probably give it to the defender as sometimes depending on the match up they tend to feel pressured especially once their wake up meter is gone for the time. So ultimately I dont have a huge issue with this, I dont believe the offensive player should constantly have the advantage tbh.

wasn't he primarly based on down pokes into stormcell?

same goes for Kano's d1, d1, d1 xx canonbal and Scorpion's f3, d1, f3, throw
I wouldn't say primarily but it was a tactic TW players do use some more than others. I do it sometimes as well as d3 Into SC but I also mix it up with b2 when I can.

Last edited:
so playing full zoning and just be good at defence got a huge buff
playing aggresive with pressure is harder because the defender now will be always on point while the attcker still needs strict timing not everyone will master, no matter how much you practice, hitting a 2f window is always hard for everyone.
(hint: 1 second = 60frames hitting 2/60 = strict)
press a frame to early nothing comes out and you get countered pressing to late and you get interrupted
(this is just not fun and i still will prefer tekkens gameplay even tho i like the art of MK way more, MK11 is so beautiful)

just go in practice mode do shao kahns d1/d3 and try to jail with his s1
how many times do you land it out of 10 tries? is this fun to you?

guess i switch now to full zoning too and focus on defence
way smoother in gameplay now

ps: why i talk so much about this topic? because it always was my biggest request for NRS games to really enjoy the gameplay.
The whole jailing with d1 thing I haven't been impressed with during the life of the game so far. Sometime last year it was supposedly made easier to jail things but I wasn't impressed.
Jailing itself inspires a shrug since like you point out it's hard to land it anyways and it still depends on the other person hitting buttons I believe instead of holding block.
And it's something that affects offense and defense...such as on defense when you after you block you D1 someone.

The whole jailing with d1 thing I haven't been impressed with during the life of the game so far. Sometime last year it was supposedly made easier to jail things but I wasn't impressed.
Jailing itself inspires a shrug since like you point out it's hard to land it anyways and it still depends on the other person hitting buttons I believe instead of holding block.
And it's something that affects offense and defense...such as on defense when you after you block you D1 someone.
i mentioned shao kahn for a reason his d1 is +10 and his s1 is 9f makeing the link very strict but for example
liu kangs d1 is +12 and his s1 7f (i can connect it all the time)
johnny cages is +10 and his s1 7f (getting harter)
sindels d1 +11 her s1 7f
joker d1 +14 his s1 8f (easy)
scorps d1 +9 his s1 7f
subs d1 +9 his s1 8f (also very strict)
jade +11 s1 7f
kitana +12 s1 8f
etc.

you get the math here and if on hit would also get a buffer window, it would make it (more) fair for every fighter

lots of frames in this game looking random in a bad way

ps: shao kahns hop1/2 is -18 the worse ingame on block i think,(sindel with kinda same range -10) and with the new block buffer super risky
shao kahn is so bad in detail it makes me sad, my fav MK fighter. i dont get why NRS does not love him more (is it because he is release DLC?) anyway different topic i could talk a lot about - i for sure see why he is not picked in tournaments even tho he has many fans

Jailing is very doable, and it's pretty useful. It requires good timing and hit confirming, but it's also easy to practice. It can be something you do short drills on to get good at, and eventually you have a tool you can use.

Mileage may vary per character, but with say Frost you can d1, jail into 22, and end up +5 if they block the high you jailed into. You can mitigate the danger of tossing out a high starter like Sonyas b1, by jailing into it. That should impress just a little. Shrug it off if you like, but you'd probably be better of taking another look at it.

Having the buffer window on the next attack will give better leniency to land some extremely difficult combos at the wall like nightwolf df1 into d1 at the wall, Skarlet 212 repititions will get only better but she will also be able to land ex bf3, d1 1, 2 routes which are currently extremely hard now.

I don't think they should do that tbh. There has to be at least some kind of execution required, it's a fighting game after all. But if it's possible they could make so the attacker only gets 5 buffer window when they are + on block.

The only time there should be a buffer window on hit is on down pokes while not in a combo. And that should be possible to do since that's exactly what they did with Noob's slide change. It only has bigger hit region when in a combo. This way you'd still need execution to do tough combos which is fair but you could finally jail easily into S1 with every character.

Tell me exactly single that, that is not true? Im listening you. Because comments like this with zero argumentation is what embarrassing mean !!!
Have fun.
So many of you guys sound like my 7 year old nephew complaining about Fortnite.

Jokers KB works like it's supposed to now. You have fun too buddy!

Last edited:
Tweedy explains here what he's having an issue with:

Isn't this the perfect example on the definition of what the word ''unbalanced'' supposed to mean? To me it is just that. If not i really should consider going back to school :blk Edit: Just an observation of what i'm seeing and hearing in that vid, cause PC scrub over here has no way of experiencing it yet smh

Last edited:
Isn't this the perfect example on the definition of what the word ''unbalanced'' supposed to mean? To me it is just that. If not i really should consider going back to school :blk Edit: Just an observation of what i'm seeing and hearing in that vid, cause PC scrub over here has no way of experiencing it yet smh
When people talk about balance, 99% of the time they mean from a perspective of fairness for all players. Like if red team and blue team spawn on a map and blue team is closer to the good weapons, that's imbalanced. If one character in a fighter is super strong or weak compared to the rest of the cast, that's imbalanced. This block buffer affects all players equally no matter what character you pick, though it may have made some characters a bit worse or better.

This block buffer affects all players equally no matter what character you pick, though it may have made some characters a bit worse or better.
I guess the argument is that the input buff window exists for blocking but not for attacking, thereby limiting frame traps. Perhaps 4 frames instead of 5 would have been more appropriate. Nobody but the developers know. I cannot lie, though. Interrupting certain frame traps without absurd timing requirements feels so good now.

When people talk about balance, 99% of the time they mean from a perspective of fairness for all players. Like if red team and blue team spawn on a map and blue team is closer to the good weapons, that's imbalanced. If one character in a fighter is super strong or weak compared to the rest of the cast, that's imbalanced. This block buffer affects all players equally no matter what character you pick, though it may have made some characters a bit worse or better.
Isn't that what this is? With the defender having a noticable advantage here, over the attacker? Or am i just a moron, lol

Isn't that what this is? With the defender having a noticable advantage here, over the attacker? Or am i just a moron, lol
I have trouble letting go of the idea that the defender was in the disadvantage position.

It's not a big deal to learn tight timings for the handful of things you like to do with you character. Has anyone ever complained about the difficulty of it?

I don't remember it being a huge problem. The conversation was always about how hard it is to be frame perfect against every random poke and stagger in the game.

If they want to loosen jailing and frame traps, I'm not totally against it, but it seems a bit like complaining that we only went 85% of the way, when 85% is still pretty good and not a bad place to be, and I think turn taking is in a better place than it was for most players.

All right I played a few matches with the patch and it feels so much better attacking out of blockstun that I definitely want the buffer for attacking out of hitstun and attacking out of recovery frames (i.e. buffer window for the attacker) as well.

The only problem I see is that I will make certain exchanges 'predictable' but that's just the price to pay for the game to feel more responsive. Even SFV has a 3 frame buffer window so there's no reason why MK11 should demand such precision.

I have trouble letting go of the idea that the defender was in the disadvantage position.

It's not a big deal to learn tight timings for the handful of things you like to do with you character. Has anyone ever complained about the difficulty of it?

I don't remember it being a huge problem. The conversation was always about how hard it is to be frame perfect against every random poke and stagger in the game.

If they want to loosen jailing and frame traps, I'm not totally against it, but it seems a bit like complaining that we only went 85% of the way, when 85% is still pretty good and not a bad place to be, and I think turn taking is in a better place than it was for most players.
FYI This wasn't me complaining about anything, just curiosity about other's perspectives. Like i said before, i can't complain about something without experiencing it first. And since pc hasn't received the patch yet that would be the case here :p. But point taken on it being rather more insignificant than it's made out to be. Maybe getting more significant on higher level play?

FYI This wasn't me complaining about anything, just curiosity about other's perspectives. Like i said before, i can't complain about something without experiencing it first. And since pc hasn't received the patch yet that would be the case here :p. But point taken on it being rather more insignificant than it's made out to be. Maybe getting more significant on higher level play?
I wasn't really meaning for it to sound like I was saying you were complaining (stating a case on the phone can be hard). I got the feeling that some people were really worried about it, like people haven't been very successful at being hyper aggressive in the game or something. It changes some stuff so it will be interesting to see what actually happens over a couple of weeks.

I'm generally down with making things feel reliable, and inputs not getting swallowed.