What's new

General/Other (Official) Cyborg Fixes Thread

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Cyborg is a great character with really sweet designs and set-ups, however execution-heavy. NRS has done a phenomenal job designing his style of play. I would love nothing more than our Cybernetic friend to become a top 5 contender, and would especially love if more people would put in the time and pick him up for tournament and casual play alike. I think he could be a real threat at EVO!

Here are a few changes to the character that I think would allow him to compete at the highest level AND get more people playing this underrated character.

For those who do not know me. I am an active particpant in offline gaming and have been to many local and major tournaments for FGs over the last several years. This game is turning out to be the best FG of all time and I would like to do my part in trying to make it even better!

Fixes and Buffs:

1. Trait: His trait as of now, is almost unusable. While slightly better than Quanchis skeletal boost since it can be cancelled out of. It delivers almost no reward, for great risk. To activate it you give the opponent ample time to get in, and risk taking more damage than you will gain by exposing yourself briefly...even at full screen. It also does not grant any life if you activate it and cancel it on the first frame active. I think it should be able to be canceled as quick as it can be activated instantly. Then it can even give fram advantage on block strings as well as provide some life. It should give more life and recharge faster, including the cool down. It was such a great idea to give him a repair circuit as it is similar to the comics, but it really needs a buff here and there to make it viable on any level. I really want to see more Cyborgs using this! But right now his trait button is collecting dust.
I have some other redesign ideas as well, but you can PM me for more info on those as I do not want to go into too much detail here. (SEE POST #32 AT BOTTOM FOR NEW IDEA) he should be able to IANB from repair circuit. Aka cancel with a jump will make people respect him more. Jump cancels and instant healing would really help him, and make his opponents actually fear his trait. They will always get in for free (bad for his game design) unless he can check them... (reasoning below #32)

2. Standing 2 (Power Knee): Currently a short reaching, but quick hitting mid. It doesn't link into any unique combos, but is 'special cancelable'. It is -4 on block and -2 on hit. In a game where many characters have multiple fast hitting mid moves, this puts Cyborg at a disadvantage. Even on hit the opponents recover so fast that they can block Sonic disruptor or duck a technotackle after a successful power knee hits.
This move should have better frame advantage. On block, but especially on hit it should have advantage. Or, special moves like Sonic disruptor should be able to be canceled into faster. Even d1-Sonic disruptor can be interrupted or armored through for a full combo punish. D1xxSD and 2xxSD should both jail and combo...

3. J2: His Jump attacks are all negative on block except jump 3 is neutral. This isn't a bad thing as they can still be canceled into normal strings with good timing. (Although since the 1+2 interactable change it is near impossible to do j2,112 with getting an inter-actable). The problem here lies in his grapple hook. J2 seems to be his best jump-in move, but it has mediocre priority. It gets beat by a lot of moves. Most notably vs other jumps and particularly easy to anti-air. This is bad because when Grapple hook is used to start an offense (which IS necessary in some MUs) grapple can be a good tool to get in and over their head. However, grapple over anyone experienced is very easily avoided or anti-aired, thus not a good way to generate offense as of right now, but it should be!.

4. B1 string: 11 frame 'mid' hitter. A good string, but I wish it were a little faster on start-up with better range. Then we could get a good mid-hitting wiff punishing strings! Woo footsies!
The biggest problem right now, however, is that the 'Mid' hitting b1 wiffs on MANY crouching characters. What is even more weird is that it sometimes hit and sometimes doesn't. I can't imagine that this was intentional, especially with his lack of good mid hitting moves.

5. B2 String: His low starter. Very short range and very slow at 16 frames. I mean if this had better range and was faster then it would not only be viable, but also be a great tool for spacing/footsies ect... Since it can be charged there could be some sweet mind games involved, which is what I think was originally intended. Unfortunetly, not only is it slow and short, but the second hit of B2,3 1 sometimes WIFFS, despite it hitting 'mid'. I know there are special hitting mid moves that do not hit everyone mid, and I think this is fine to have. However, this move you do not have any control over the chain move, you input the 3 and 1 and it does it for you forcing you to commit. Scorpion and GL have great low starters..can't we? PLEASE INCREASE RANGE, SPEED AND PRIORITY!!!

6. Hard knock downs: IMO Cyborg could use more moves that result in a hard 'untechable' knockdown. 112 does so right now, but it hits high, can be interupted or ducked for full combo punish at multiple points, and can't be special cancelable... His D3 is slow and -18 lol sooo yeah.
-If moves like Sonic Disruptor, or strings like 113 or Power Knee ended in a hard knock down, then it would open him up SO much more to create set-ups with grapple hooks or missiles. Grappling in would be easier, as would it give more time for missiles to create space as they have slow start-up. There is a lot that could be done here to make some of his set-ups more viable. He just really needs more moves that knock opponents down which work synergistically with his set-up potential. If he can't get hard knockdowns than some of his moves like target acquired, grapple hooks, Nova BLaster should get (very small) decreases in their recovery.

Also make missiles faster for obvious reasons!

7. Midscreen damage - (Anti Aerial). Not really there. This is okay though a he has good zoning and good corner damage to make up for it. The problem is that his good strings start hitting high, and are all easily interruptible for full combos and he doesn't have many options for anti-air damage.
-Sonic disruptor (up) seems like a cool move, but I haven't found many uses for it yet. It can be used in the corner for meter-less combos 113-SDU. But it doesn't work on everyone as it wiffs. I think a good solution would be to buff Sonic-disruptor up so it has a bigger hitbox and allows larger, more damaging midscreen combos. Make the mid-screen combos execution heavy at that!

Thanks for listening. Hopefully Cyborg can get some of these fixes and then hopefully some buffs. NRS seems do to a nice job of paying attention and making smart fixes. The Cyborg IANB midhitting fix was quite a good start. Now that the character has been developed some, it is becoming clear where other smart fixes can take place. Zoning wise he is good. However, his midscreen set-ups are difficult to initiate and easy to avoide. He doesn't pose much of a threat mid-screen/up-close either as his attacks are short, slow, and interruptible. His footsies tools are easily disrespected as well. As people learn the MU it will only go downhill. I want more people to WANT to play him!

I would love a zoner to be a top character in this game and I think Cyborg could fit the bill perfectly!

Post any suggested fixes or input below. Please serious discussion only!

colt hecterrific
MagnetoHalfway IKizzLE

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Regarding cyborgs zoning.
I heard his target acquired missiles used to be unblockable so they slowed them down. Then they made them overhead. I think they should stay overhead bit speed them up ALOT, Or keep them the same and bring back the unblockable.

Faster startup and recovery on ground fireball would be very help in setting up frame traps. Would also be nice if it hit even lower so characters like WW can't d3 under it .

Really Cyborg just needs better mid screen footsies so he can space people out and better mid screen combos to keep up with damage.

Sonic disruptir up should universally launch all ooponents high enough to get a b3 combo midscreen or meter less combo in the corner. Regular sonic disruptor should grant a HARD KNOCKDOWN for better mid screen setups that will work nicely with his zoning setups! Being able to charge/cancel sonic disruptor into regular or up is cool but right now The up sonic disruptor has very few specific, situational, and character dependent uses :( Also, Let us wake up with Sonic disruptor please!

Also power fist (db1) says to be an antiair move, but really it isn't the best tool to AA with...

With better normal range, and better damage potential Cyborg could hold his own against even the toughest antizoners. (And there seems to be a lot of characters that can teleport in or something of the sort)

Thanks for listening! colt

DuskAlloy

You don't got the cash, You don't get the ass
I really like the suggestions in this thread, mind you I dont play Cyborg but I did try once lol... just didnt care to learn the infinite so I went with a different character

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
I agree with all of this. These are all very reasonable changes that address exactly what needs to be addressed.
Thanks. I have many 'unreasonable' buffs I would love to add which would make him the best in the game/guanenteed top 5 lol.
But really I just want a balanced top character.
He s already great I think, but in a world of safe 50/50 vortexes, frame traps, and top-tier anti-zoners, we need a bit more to stay up there haha

DuskAlloy

Thanks. I have many 'unreasonable' buffs I would love to add which would make him the best in the game/guanenteed top 5 lol.
But really I just want a balanced top character.
He s already great I think, but in a world of safe 50/50 vortexes, frame traps, and top-tier anti-zoners, we need a bit more to stay up there haha
The only thing that I may not agree with is the trait part, I would be terrified if he could cancel normals like black adam can lol

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
The only thing that I may not agree with is the trait part, I would be terrified if he could cancel normals like black adam can lol
Hah. Well I really just want them to make his trait useable/viable. Traits are such a cool and unique part of the game. Each characters trait should be viable! I mean...they spent the time programing and creating it? Why not just go the extra inch!

DuskAlloy

Hah. Well I really just want them to make his trait useable/viable. Traits are such a cool and unique part of the game. Each characters trait should be viable! I mean...they spent the time programing and creating it? Why not just go the extra inch!
They could of been more creative with cyborg's but I guess they had to think about the balance of it all, could you imagine cyborg with someone like batman's trait lol

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Wow, standing 2 is negative on hit!? What's it's primary use at the minute?
Right now. It is a gimmicky check after a block string... D1 is better... But d1xxsd is interruptible. It does drop them in front of you if you hit an airborne opponent with it. Cancel with Target Aquired (close) and you might get a reset. But since 2 doesn't grant a hard knockdown, the opponent can safely techroll away.

Basically. Nothing good.

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
Right now. It is a gimmicky check after a block string... D1 is better. It does drop them in front of you if you hit an airborne opponent with it. Cancel with Target Aquired (close) and you might get a reset. But since 2 doesn't grant a hard knockdown, the opponent can safely techroll away.

Basically. Nothing good.
I'm trying to understand NRS' design choices you see. Usually I can reverse engineer FG Design philosphies and play styles, but NRS has me confused more times than not (I'm speaking from experience too: I mained Stryker in MK9!)

Like, I can understand Cyborg's lack of hard knockdown game as I think NRS wanted to avoid any Cyrax-esque bomb traps (although this being said, I do agree with you in full that he should have some more and I think on this occasion NRS have been far too overly cautious)

But I cannot understand stuff like Standing 2 being negative on hit (especially if as you say D1 does it better), or any of his jump ins being negative on block or Up Sonic Disruptor (I still think it should hit in front of Cyborg and not straight upwards) or pretty much everything else you listed!

:(

EDIT; also can see the reason why Cyborg's trait isn't good - he can heal himself! Can't have it start up too quickly otherwise C, from a design perspective, can keep you out all day and regain his life (which is pretty close to game breaking shit).

The way I see it is: you give Cyborg more hard knock down set ups (and run the risk of Cyborg-esque bomb traps) which would allow him time to use his trait; or you keep his lack of hard knockdown as is and buff start up of trait.

I believe it is a literal balancing act between the two and I'm thinking that's why NRS has left those two options as they are. The result of course is he can't use his trait and he can't set TA's up as well as he should....argg it's a head ache trying to understand NRS design choices and it's even bigger head ache trying to actually solve the problems!

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Good write-up.

I would say the trait will be shit regardless, but I would prefer a chunk of health instead of a gradual increase in health.

Also to buff his midscreen damage, I was thinking MB powerfist should hit them straight up into the air, rather than away from you, to allow for a b3.

Pakman I feel that if they fix 2~sd on crouching opponents then it is a very good check in neutral situations, at the minute it has limited uses due to opponents recovering too quick.

DuskAlloy

I'm trying to understand NRS' design choices you see. Usually I can reverse engineer FG Design philosphies and play styles, but NRS has me confused more times than not (I'm speaking from experience too: I mained Stryker in MK9!)

Like, I can understand Cyborg's lack of hard knockdown game as I think NRS wanted to avoid any Cyrax-esque bomb traps (although this being said, I do agree with you in full that he should have some more and I think on this occasion NRS have been far too overly cautious)

But I cannot understand stuff like Standing 2 being negative on hit (especially if as you say D1 does it better), or any of his jump ins being negative on block or Up Sonic Disruptor (I still think it should hit in front of Cyborg and not straight upwards) or pretty much everything else you listed!

:(
I think NRS just makes characters that look cool and try to balance it later...

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Good write-up.

I would say the trait will be shit regardless, but I would prefer a chunk of health instead of a gradual increase in health.

Also to buff his midscreen damage, I was thinking MB powerfist should hit them straight up into the air, rather than away from you, to allow for a b3.

Pakman I feel that if they fix 2~sd on crouching opponents then it is a very good check in neutral situations, at the minute it has limited uses due to opponents recovering too quick.
That is what I want them to make Up-sonic disruptor do! If B231 string could cancel into up sonic disruptor which would lanuch them for a b3... damn that would be nice. I really just want them to buff b231 string a lot. Even though he doesn't have an overhead starting normal...if this had good range and fast start-up people would have to respect him more.

Your ideas are great as it a lot is what I was thinking. I was playing around with his trait a couple days ago and thought wouldnt it be great if he could cancel strings with his trait, get a couple percent on the first one or two frames and then cancel into disruptor or backdash to bait or run away. It would give him at least some mindgames up close and would make the trait an interesting tool up close. A repair circuit with some offensive properties while not being too powerful.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
I feel so lonely playing this character!
He is so dead at this moment that there are not even trolls coming in here to blow me up asking for buffs :(
Even the harley buff thread gets more action! Cyborgs where are you!?!

I feel so lonely playing this character!
He is so dead at this moment that there are not even trolls coming in here to blow me up asking for buffs :(
Even the harley buff thread gets more action! Cyborgs where are you!?!

I always had a feeling this would happen from day 1. Everyone was so worried about the infinite, and saying he was S+ tier, that I knew he would get no buffs. He desperately needs something up close to make him a bit more versatile. With his zoning neutered, and the 2 DLC characters so far kinda blowing up his zoning game, its just made it hard work to play this character.

This was the first game where I was determined to main this character and not bother with anyone else and guess what...im playing everyone else lol. Still grind with him tho but I cant help but switch characters when im playing someone who is of about the same skill level playing as his bad matchups. Hes one of those characters who blows up some matchups and gets destroyed in others.

Jun_Dp101

Don't mess with the bess
I'm here for you, all the way from Ireland ;_;. But seriously there's not much to cyborg, tech is pretty scarce with him. I'll be attending a local torunament on saturday, hopefully I can get those vids uploaded soon.

Jun_Dp101

Don't mess with the bess
Btw I'm pretty sure cyborg's d2 got buffed, i anti aired dd jid3 today :O Also pushblock into missiles is a thing I like to abuse now, you can get a free b3 if they try jump in on you similar to lex luthor's gravity mine

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Realistically, Cyborg doesn't suck. He's just boring, and anyone that can get past his zoning stomps him into the ground.