What's new

NRS/WB Games Presents $50,000 Pot Bonus for MKXL at EVO 2016 + Upcoming News?!

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
Maybe I'm trying to temper my expectations but it seems to me that the tweet about news about EVO was about the pot bonus he tweeted about 2 hours later. It doesn't actually say in the first tweet there will be news AT EVO so it could presumably be just news about EVO which the pot bonus addresses. I certainly hope otherwise just thought I'd mention it though.

trufenix

bye felicia
Wow. Three pages, two posts of thanks or even acknowledgement.

Thank you NRS for once again proving you give a shit about us and your games.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Maybe I'm trying to temper my expectations but it seems to me that the tweet about news about EVO was about the pot bonus he tweeted about 2 hours later. It doesn't actually say in the first tweet there will be news AT EVO so it could presumably be just news about EVO which the pot bonus addresses. I certainly hope otherwise just thought I'd mention it though.
Yeah there's nothing in that tweet that says there's more new coming AT EVO, the pot bonus was probably the news @YOMI RM JagoBlake
You both may be right. But there IS still this post to account for.

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/744190746408849408

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Is there? Ed is known for trolling on Twitter...
Usually that is my first expectation, but the man hasn't been trolling us for shit lately. Which is astonishing.

Either way, I'm going to hope for the best. If they can contribute 50k to EVO and 10k to CEO, something tells me that the sales for KP2/MKXL surpassed expectations, a fact that could lead to even better outcomes for the scene.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Usually that is my first expectation, but the man hasn't been trolling us for shit lately. Which is astonishing.

Either way, I'm going to hope for the best. If they can contribute 50k to EVO and 10k to CEO, something tells me that the sales for KP2/MKXL surpassed expectations, a fact that could lead to even better outcomes for the scene.
Exactly, doesn't that seem odd to you? Why are people just suddenly believing he's not trolling any more? Doesn't make sense to me. It would also be a slap in the face to people who bought MKXL expecting it to wrap up all the content for the game. Until proven otherwise we don't know if it's going to be a thing yet, but dont say I didn't warn you :p

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Maybe I'm trying to temper my expectations but it seems to me that the tweet about news about EVO was about the pot bonus he tweeted about 2 hours later.
I think you nailed it, sadly. Glad that they're still supporting MKX in this fashion, but his vague phrasing has always gotten hopes up, only for us to be disappointed.

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
It's a shame that EVO won't give us the ruleset we play with when NRS gives them money.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
From a business perspective, WB would be doing a major disservice to their shareholders if they didn't release Kp3. There is absolutely no business reason to not do this. You already have a well established and very large global playerbase, a high percentage of which would buy the additional DLC, which is sold for around a third of the cost of the original game. Its easy money, there is no way they are not doing it. The 50K they are putting into EVO is further evidence that they are not intending for this game to die, even with I2 on the horizon.

From a business perspective, WB would be doing a major disservice to their shareholders if they didn't release Kp3. There is absolutely no business reason to not do this. You already have a well established and very large global playerbase, a high percentage of which would buy the additional DLC, which is sold for around a third of the cost of the original game. Its easy money, there is no way they are not doing it. The 50K they are putting into EVO is further evidence that they are not intending for this game to die, even with I2 on the horizon.
You never know though, WBIE makes some odd business decisions. Just look at the PC version of the game.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
From NRS's perspective though, they're likely very busy with Injustice 2 at the moment and as such may not have the resources or time to work on KP3.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
From NRS's perspective though, they're likely very busy with Injustice 2 at the moment and as such may not have the resources or time to work on KP3.
Where there is money, there is time. If they have confidence that Kp3 will make serious dough, they would allocate staffing appropriately and add new hires where needed.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Where there is money, there is time. If they have confidence that Kp3 will make serious dough, they would allocate staffing appropriately and add new hires where needed.
Add new hires for a game that is quite honestly at its ending point with EVO coming up?

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
You never know though, WBIE makes some odd business decisions. Just look at the PC version of the game.
yeah, but I think that can just be looked at as a miscalculation in the sense that the company they hired to initially do that port screwed everything up, and the PC playerbase did not end up being big enough to justify the additional cost after that point. Not saying that doesn't suck ass for PC players, but my only point here is that after the initial failure of the PC port it was no longer viable from a business standpoint to keep investing cash in that segment

Last edited:

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Add new hires for a game that is quite honestly at its ending point with EVO coming up?
Yes, if KP3 will be profitable then their cash forecasts would justify appropriate staff increases. And I don't agree the game is necessarily at its ending, Kp3 could extend its life and it could co-exist with I2

yeah, but I think that can just be looked at as a miscalculation in the sense that the company they hired to initially do that port screwed everything up, and the PC playerbase did not end up being big enough to justify the additional cost after that point. Not saying that doesn't suck ass for PC players, but my only point here is that after the initial failure of the PC port it was not longer viable from a business standpoint to keep investing cash in that segment
And you very well might be right. As someone who owns the PC version of the game I'm not furious like much of the rest of the PC community (though I am disappointed), I'm more curious as to the reasoning behind things.

They did indeed hire a sub-par developer to port the product and took months to contract a good developer to properly clean it up. This was the first game in the franchise released at the same time as it's console counterparts (I'm talking even back to the classic days). Fighting games, as I understand it, are not doing poorly on PC (Street Fighter V and Killer Instinct are doing well as far as I know), and it seemed obvious to me they were looking to test the PC market out.

Strange that they'd invest in that way.

I'm really curious as to the reason, and then the actual reason why they didn't bring the XL content either, since it's never been stated why. Player-base could be a reason. Perhaps it's grey site sales as well. Or perhaps even after a clean up by QLOC, the code of the version is such a mess they can't without breaking it again.

We may never know.